• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

dating guidelines

lilgrace1980

What is and is not okay in the dating process? I know that each relationship is seperate and unique, I know that its natural for there to be some jealousy. I am a first wife, and my dh is dating a really good friend of mine. I love her and think she is amazing, loving, and beautiful inside and out. In the beginning we all three agreed on no sex before marriage but now it is becoming a major source of frustration and jealousy for her. She wants more time, freedom to do trips etc. My husband and I have been married ten years and have three children. We are a christian family and want to follow God's guidelines othe dating. My friend admits to having extreme jealousy about my husband and my past, the time we have already spent together, and feels that I will always be put first. In the beginning we all talked about ensuring equal time and attention and voice in the home. I do feel there are certain things that come with being married and should not be acceptable in dating in polygamy. I try to reasure her on how much she is loved and valued and so does my husband. She is really struggling. Ive been praying for her, him, and about my own perception and attitude. What are some good guidelines for dating in polygamy?

You will drive yourselves crazy with the equal thing - there is no such thing as equal. If everyone is keeping tabs on what is fair and balanced you will, similarly, drive yourselves crazy because everyone will be using a different accounting system. This is a no win game where everyone loses because everyone is too afraid to do anything for fear of making someone else mad.
I agree that "married wife" is different from "dating prospective wife", but the groundwork you lay now is the foundation upon which the future marriage will be built so it is important to get it right and have the right boundaries and expectations in place. You also need to figure out the "rules of combat" - how you discuss issues and iron them out as they arise.
I agree that there should be no sex before marriage. We all also know that it does happen. Truthfully it is not for you to police this one though. Either your husband is up to the task at hand or he is not. He is married to you. He is not a single man. He needs to be MORE responsible when other people are involved. If he is ready to have sex with her, but not ready to be married to her then he needs to address that internally and spiritually. There are some excellent men on here that will be more than willing to discuss it with him. If he is ready to be married to her then he should get on and get married to her.
As for you having 10 years of marriage and always being put first - she is right. She now needs to wrap herself around the idea that she is the shiny new thing on the block and she will always be put first too. If she tries to be you, she will fail miserably. Just like if you try to be her, you will fail miserably. If she tries to be the best that she can be, then she will always exceed you at the things she is good at. Just like you will exceed her in your areas of strength. Isn't that kind of the idea of polygamy? Everyone gets to play to their strengths? Everyone gets recognized for their contribution? So what if I never make the best housekeeper in the world - I can still kick your butt when it comes to math homework! This is not a competition. We are not trying to be better or more valuable than each other. We are trying to be better people today than we were yesterday. We are trying to compliment each other.
The very language you are using - fair, equal, "put first" - are setting you up for failure. How about - respected, valued, unique, individual. Focus on figuring out what peoples needs are and meet them. My SW (no longer in the family) kept insisting I go out on a date with my husband. It took me a while to figure out that she needed to go on a date. She felt if I went on one, then she would be entitled to one. I didn't need one - but she did. I was perfectly happy for her to go out on a date. On a regular basis. I did not feel the need to demand equal time/nights/money spent etc. This was something she needed and therefore it was important to me that it be met. What I did need was to be respected and heard for my unique needs as they arose - even if it was something that held little or no value to her.
Back to the "first wife" versus "second wife" and the "married wife" versus "dating wife" - the reality is that you and he have 10 years of common experiences and knowledge of each other. You have the upper hand in terms of knowing the ropes. She has the upper hand in bringing fresh ideas and perspective. You have the upper hand in being a known entity who will react in a known way in certain situations. She is more unpredictable but also bring a different set of life skills to the equation. Instead of fighting it and pretending that the dynamic is different from what it is maybe you should embrace it? first does not mean more important, but it does mean different. You all need to figure out what her role is going to be. That means you are going to have to give up some things (I volunteer right here right now to abdicate all future ironing responsibilities) and maybe some things you like to have done your way and that means she is going to have to realize that there are some things that are just done your (and his) way and she is going to have to yield - but it does not mean she lost, or that she is less important or that it is set in stone and cannot be re-visited if it isn't working - it just means that for right now we are going to do things the way they have always been done in this one little area of our life. Again - who is keeping tabs of how many things are done your way and how many are done her way and what accounting system are we using and on a scale of 1 to 10 what is the a more important thing to have done your way....arrggghhh - stop the madness - this will drive you crazy.

I like your idea of praying individually and together, I like the idea of reassuring her, it is VERY POSITIVE that she can express that she is feeling jealous, I would encourage everyone in the family to read this together and see what discussions arise. You guys seem like you are bringing up the issues and talking about them and communication really is the way through to the other side. Praying you all have the wisdom to figure out the "dating rules" you all can live with :)

You brought some good conversation between my husband and I because we both found this interesting. I want to say I agree with Eternitee on what she had to say. I am going to add my thoughts in there though.
I would recommend that you, your husband and future sister wife also read the thread in marriage issues, "Questions about my daughter". It gives some good insight on sex, how God sees sex and how we should see sex, there is scripture to back up what the thread is saying. It is just not on sex but how a bigger commitment should be made before things go farther in the relationship. Now I think a man needs to have self control before he just hops in a relationship with a woman, he needs to feel her out, see how she is with his family and see how the family is with her. He needs to make sure the woman is right for him and his family. If a man hops in a relationship with the wrong woman it can damage his family. So he really needs to be careful on his decisions.
Your friend needs to know that she will have the time for trips and other things when the time is right, be patient and enjoy the dating stage with her future husband because she don't want to get down the road and wish she had done things differently. Something you can tell her is this, Think how special and romantic your wedding night will be if you wait, it is worth the wait.
Keep doing what y'all are doing. Just remember God is in control and he can help with this and any situations that may arise. I hope this helps some

I found all this very interesting, how is that as wives you are at opening your hart to this new person in your home, family and willing to share equally the person you love. I am not in PM but I been getting to know a couple, I am not sure if is going that way, I feel comfortable with them both and we been discussing this. Time will tell if it leads to something else. I am very curios about how one becomes courting someone, how does it starts? any advise will be appreciated.

Eternitee! Where is the like button when I need it?! What you said here is perfect.

"This is not a competition. We are not trying to be better or more valuable than each other. We are trying to be better people today than we were yesterday. We are trying to compliment each other."

Oh that we could all remember and live that bit of wisdom, no matter if we are the 1st, only, or 50th wife.

Wow!! Reading thru this has brought a lot of stuff to light as hubby and I think about letting my Sis back into our lives. Fear of me always being "first" was a big thing for her and one of the reasons things didn't work the first time we discussed trying this. I agree with Eternitee in that we should each play to our strengths. I'm the better housekeeper and she enjoys yard work. I love to bake, she loves to cook. It's not a competition and shouldn't be viewed as one. There's not a doubt in my mind that hubby loves both of us. I know he loves us differently, but differently doesn't mean he loves one of us more. As for the issue of sex I'm afraid for us that was a bridge that was already crossed when we were discussing this the first time. I know that the two of them being intimate before they were actually "married" was a big boo-boo on all our parts. I also know that for hubby it was as much a commitment as anything. Unlike lots of men he isn't wired to just have sex for the fun of it, the act and the person involved have to mean something to him. Make sense?
Just a few thoughts.
Clyde44

Hello Ladies,

I must say I totally agree with Eternitee. This is not a competition. Although my husband and I do not currently have an SW he has been chatting with a girl and she seems very sweet and we have been following the rules that we established from the start. Do I sometimes feel like my husband is forgetting my needs because he is spending more time with her?Yes, however,I undertand he is trying to get to know her the same way he got to know me when we were dating and I need to let the process occur naturally. Is my husband neglecting myself or our children?Absolutely not!!! He still tucks our children in and reads them stories and yes he still spends time with me as well. I think my willingness to let them bond and see where this goes is helping not only my husband but her. We aren't very far into this process. They have been talking about a week so we don't know where this is headed and we have a long way to go.

If I turn this into a competition by saying Oh well you texted her 30 times today but me only 2 all It's going to do is drive me crazy and start harboring bad feelings and giving place to the enemy to feed melies like well you know I think he loves her more.

I want to help my husband and family through the process not hinder

Back