• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"Perpetuating Gender Stereotypes"

Shibboleth

Seasoned Member
Male
At the risk of reviving a two-month dead thread, I'd like to point out that the title issue (Edit: originally posted in "The Essential Difference", referring to men's greater propensity towards interest in things vs. women's greater propensity towards interest in people) is in the news again recently, with Google's firing of an employee, James Damore, for "perpetuating gender stereotypes", simply because he wrote a memo that dared to raise this issue in challenge of the cult of diversity, in regards to women in STEM fields.

There's a 50+ minute interview with him here, that goes through his memo in detail:

Edited to stand alone as a new thread.

Last edited:
At the risk of reviving a two-month dead thread, I'd like to point out that the title issue is in the news again recently, with Google's firing of an employee, James Damore, for "perpetuating gender stereotypes", simply because he wrote a memo that dared to raise this issue in challenge of the cult of diversity, in regards to women in STEM fields.

There's a 50+ minute interview with him here, that goes through his memo in detail:
Interesting that hypergamy came up in this video. No wonder this is all hitting the fan! The greater society has told successful, or dominant males that they can only have ONE female. Females are told that there are a limited number of successful or dominant males.

Done.

Haven't made time for the video yet, but love the Quillette articles.

Perhaps the Google memo should have it's own thread - the reactions are very interesting to me, as I work in a tech company that strives to be like Google in a lot of ways. Here's some thoughtful, and very informed, opinions:

http://quillette.com/2017/08/07/google-memo-four-scientists-respond/

Three of the authors were "meh". One was superb in boiling it all down to a paradox nobody in the diversity business realizes, or cares to think through:
    • The human sexes and races have exactly the same minds, with precisely identical distributions of traits, aptitudes, interests, and motivations; therefore, any inequalities of outcome in hiring and promotion must be due to systemic sexism and racism;
    • The human sexes and races have such radically different minds, backgrounds, perspectives, and insights, that companies must increase their demographic diversity in order to be competitive; any lack of demographic diversity must be due to short-sighted management that favors groupthink.
    The obvious problem is that these two core assumptions are diametrically opposed.
Essentially you can either have equality or diversity, but you really can't have both.

I guess I got more from the others than "meh", but I agree that the money shot is that quote, the dogma paradox.

Essentially you can either have equality or diversity, but you really can't have both.
That's postmodern doublethink for you. Two contradictory beliefs can both be true at once.
George Orwell said:
The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them… To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies—all this is indispensably necessary.

Back