• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Holiday dishes

Mikki G.

Female
Hi hello all. So this thanksgiving and Christmas will be the first time I get to cook for the Fam Bam and I'm super nervous about it lol. What are some of your favorite holiday dishes to make for the family.

(Note: nothing with strawberries. Baby girl is allergic to them)

Thanks.

I go with my husband's favorites... at least one person in my life will be happy:p. My favorites are: Pea salad, razzleberry pie, pumpkin pie, orange cheesecake, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, cheesy onion bread and orange and glazed ham!! This year I may try to make eggnog :rolleyes:

My hubby loves ham. And when I say he loves ham I mean he loooooooves ham. Hmm cheesy onion bread? Never heard of that. My hubby also loves banana bread so ill be making several loafs

Garlic mashed potatoes with cheese:D

My Great Grandma used to make Lamb Vindaloo for Christmas, I miss that, and for Thanksgiving dinner for me is all about the Sweetpotatoe Pie.

Banana cake is REALLY good.

My Great Grandma used to make Lamb Vindaloo for Christmas, I miss that, and for Thanksgiving dinner for me is all about the Sweetpotatoe Pie.
Aahh!! I forgot sweet potato pie with toasted pecans or marshmallows!! So yummy!

Go Jewish and throw in some potato latkes served with sour cream and Apple sauce. We like ours garlicy. Your friends and fam will go nuts. yum yum yum

P.s. Olive oil taste the best when frying them. Just beware of its low flash point.

See I'm going to say stuff, and you're all probably going to wonder what it is. If in doubt, google!
Nuts and bolts (I said google...).
Pasta salad.
Cheesecake (I have my Mum's recipe which is the best cheesecake I have ever had!).
Trifle.
Pavlova.
Fresh berries, though I guess it's the wrong season for you guys.
Oh and I looove muttonham, which is when you get a mutton roast and give it to the butcher who ads the ham flavouring to it. Ham taste with no pork :D. Probably not for you guys unless you happen to have a few sheep in your backyard though lol.

Well mutton (lamb) is making a slow comeback stateside, we just don't have too many full-service butchers around. At least not in my neck of the forest.

Wait...nuts and bolts? Music to any man's ears. If I find out the food definition, it will ruin the music.

Mutton is not lamb. Very different. Lamb is a sheep less than a year old. Mutton is normally an old ewe, in our case one that hasn't had a lamb in two years or has a terrible habit of escaping her paddock. Mutton is normally tougher and needs to be cooked longer but has so much more flavour!
When we were in Ireland we kept trying to buy mutton, but the butcher didn't have it. After much discussion with the butcher we discovered that we could buy it, but it was called lamb, and we would pay lamb prices for it, because everything was considered lamb over there so they could charge more. If all you can buy is lamb, then half of it is probably mutton...

Nuts and bolts:
300gm nutrigrain.
Peanuts and cashew nuts, about a cup ish?
1 packet of onion soup mix ( I use Maggi brand here, not sure what your soup mixes are like).
1 packet of cream of chicken soup mix.
1/4 cup of oil.

Heat oil and pour over all ingredients in a bowl. Mix together then let cool.

Mutton is not lamb. Very different. Lamb is a sheep less than a year old. Mutton is normally an old ewe, in our case one that hasn't had a lamb in two years or has a terrible habit of escaping her paddock. Mutton is normally tougher and needs to be cooked longer but has so much more flavour!
When we were in Ireland we kept trying to buy mutton, but the butcher didn't have it. After much discussion with the butcher we discovered that we could buy it, but it was called lamb, and we would pay lamb prices for it, because everything was considered lamb over there so they could charge more. If all you can buy is lamb, then half of it is probably mutton...
You're a Kiwi, so I don't mind being schooled by you on lamb vs. mutton.:D Y'all know your stuff down there.

But...

Is it just the age of the beast that gives it more flavor, or would the variety of sheep and food it is being fed come into play? I've bought some generic New Zealand "lamb" at the local market, and it was slightly flavorful, but have eaten some all grass raised and fed African variety lamb and it was bursting with wonderful flavor.

Back