• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Holiday dishes

When we had them, We supplemented our goats and sheep diets with cedar(goats only), mulberries, barley, pecans and Alfalfa. It changed their flavors drastically.

When we had them, We supplemented our goats and sheep diets with cedar(goats only), mulberries, barley, pecans and Alfalfa. It changed their flavors drastically.
Hopefully for the better.

Is it just the age of the beast that gives it more flavor, or would the variety of sheep and food it is being fed come into play? I've bought some generic New Zealand "lamb" at the local market, and it was slightly flavorful, but have eaten some all grass raised and fed African variety lamb and it was bursting with wonderful flavor.
Both. All New Zealand sheep and beef is grass raised. The pokey ewes that escape their paddocks and graze along the roadside or between the trees which have more variety of plants taste much nicer.

beef is grass raised. The pokey ewes that escape their paddocks and graze along the roadside or between the trees which have more variety of plants taste much nicer.
The cattle we had were grass fed, no cubes, supplement vitamins, or antibiotics, but we did sow the fields we rotated them in with oats. I had a Goat named Woodchuck. If they had a name they usally weren't food, only a few ever got a name. I used him as a brush master he'd clear an acre in a month of all shrubs and fertilize the soil for me to till and plant. He broke is two front legs fighting with some feral hogs. I ended up smoking him with some Apple wood. He was delicious, I guess if was because of the variety of plants he ate.

We did have a calf named 'calf' and he made some lovely sausages and roasts...
My daughter use to call our chickens, nuggets and every rabbit was called Hasenpfeffer even though we didn't eat them raised them to sell to the local 4h and FFA, both are Aggriculure youth groups.

Growing up we named our meat tasty names like fudge. Our red steer this year is Rudy Ribeye, after my favorite cut.
George won't let us write the animals name on the little white paper packages, but we do eat older animals, that were named, if they don't work out.
Thanksgiving we have home raised Turkey, that is still running around the field. We often roast a leg of lamb too. Our sheep are a mix of breeds, but many have African Dorper mixed in. They are all hair sheep, and dont have the lanolin taste to the fat that some wool breeds have.

Thanksgiving here means plenty of pie. Apple, pumpkin (made with our Hubbard squash) pecan (with fresh nuts off the trees) cherry, banana cream, and lemon meringue are all on the menu this year, and that's usually two of each. So the day before, we bake pie! Main side dishes are bread stuffing, green bean casserole, whipped taters n gravy, candied sweet potatoes, a big green salad, homemade rolls and cranberry sauce. The amount of butter we go through making all his food is shocking! (And we're used to using a lot)
The food lasts for days, and that's always nice, but one has to be very creative to fit it all in the fridge!
This year I'm very happy, and thankful that I look like I ate the whole Turkey myself. We are counting down 40 weeks, and there's only 9 to go!

Oh our favorite around here is a Carmel pecan pumpkin pie!!! Soooo delicious!!

We also have cherry pie, pecan pie, banana cream pie and pickle pie (ordered by my kiddos). :) to round it all out Ham, duck, mashed taters, gravy, stuffing, rolls and a huge platter of all things that we canned this year.

My favorite holiday!!! I love all of the baking!!! The way it warms the house, the way it smells so inviting and of course the way it all ends up tasting sooo wonderful!!

There is no way my wife would want to eat something she named. I always chuckled at a neighbor of ours that had two pigs: ham and bacon. Yes, they were eaten.

Lol I don't think I could name the animals and then eat them. Lol I tried 4H as a kid and got attached to the animals. I would not be a good farmer that's for sure. Haha. Happy thanksgiving everyone

We have a few rules here.
-Don’t name them till we know they are good mothers or studs and will be keeping them.
-If we are planning on eating them don’t name them.
-All animals are subject to butcher or sale if Dad sees fit.

At first it was difficult for the kids but as they have grown up they see the logic in it. And most of the time will still name them Stew, bacon, soup, roast etc. but know of their fate and don’t have a difficult time with it.

If you come around our place enough you are bound to hear “MOM! Dinner got out!” Hahahahah

We have a few rules here.
-Don’t name them till we know they are good mothers or studs and will be keeping them.
-If we are planning on eating them don’t name them.
-All animals are subject to butcher or sale if Dad sees fit.

At first it was difficult for the kids but as they have grown up they see the logic in it. And most of the time will still name them Stew, bacon, soup, roast etc. but know of their fate and don’t have a difficult time with it.

If you come around our place enough you are bound to hear “MOM! Dinner got out!” Hahahahah
Lol oh geez. That's funny. I have never been one to have that kind of outlook to be honest. Although I am from a small country town and I know my hunting and all that, it still gets me when an animal dies. My grandpa took me hunting one time and asked of I wanted to shoot my first deer. I looked at him and said no. I can clean the deer, cook the deer anf eat the deer but dont ask me to shoot it.

Lol oh geez. That's funny. I have never been one to have that kind of outlook to be honest. Although I am from a small country town and I know my hunting and all that, it still gets me when an animal dies. My grandpa took me hunting one time and asked of I wanted to shoot my first deer. I looked at him and said no. I can clean the deer, cook the deer anf eat the deer but dont ask me to shoot it.
We have the kids thank the animal for its life before the initial deed.
I only really have 2 old enough to do the initial deed. Our oldest son who is very matter of fact, like his dad, and it is a sense of honor to be able to feed our family. (We don’t buy meat from the store) And our oldest daughter, who is fine with cleaning, cutting, packaging, cooking and eating but is not a fan of the initial. So she chooses to pass on that part.
We “harvested” 2 turkeys and 4 chickens this weekend and all the kids were involved. All said our thanks and the husband did the initial deed and we all helped in plucking and cleaning. I feel like my kids have learned so much from doing so. I mean my youngest was 4 when she pointed out and named all internal parts of a goat we were butchering to a friend that was visiting. Proud mama moment. I mean I was in my 20’s before I had any idea of all that.

Back