• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

November Newsletter Article - Trust

andrew

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Placeholder for any article discussion.

Sorry for the confusion. Newsletter will go out today or tomorrow; I just went ahead and opened a thread to generate a link to put in the newsletter.

Newsletter is out as of tonight, so if anyone still hasn't received it, please let us know so we can add you to the list.

Check out the article here if you didn't get the newsletter.

Well done.
I had lost sight of what trust truly looks like. Love the definition.

The article was great.
I really think the part on benevolence hit it out of the park.

Thanks, guys. That one's been incubating for awhile; glad I was able to get it out of my head. ;)

The article was great.
I really think the part on benevolence hit it out of the park.
There's a saying that "less is more", and it is true for many things.

But when it comes to benevolence from a leader...."more is more". You can't outdo it.

But when it comes to benevolence from a leader...."more is more". You can't outdo it.
True oh so true, I got in the habit of getting my wife one or two of these fancy chocolates she likes whenever I go to the store or rent a romantic comedy when she's off even though I can't stay awake through them. To me it's just a routine now. To her it's like I painted Kevin loves Jessica in John Deer Green (she loved that song) on the water tower across from her work all over again. I know where I need to work on though. It's quality time. I get wrapped in things (books, studying, reading and posting on a certain forum). If she comes to me with a question or problem I stop and Immediately try to answer her question or fix the problem but end up going right back to what I was doing. I know she needs my focused attention more. Most of the time when I do give her my focused attention that's all she wants, not answers to questions or me to fix whatever's wrong. She just needs me to listen and show her she's more important than whatever I may be doing at the time.

Last edited:
Hear! Hear!
True oh so true, I got in the habit of getting Jessica one or two of these fancy chocolates she likes whenever I go to the store or rent a romantic comedy when she's off even though I can't stay awake through them. To me it's just a routine now. To her it's like I painted Kevin loves Jessica in John Deer Green (she loved that song) on the water tower across from her work all over again. I know where I need to work on though. It's quality time. I get wrapped in things (books, studying, reading and posting on a certain forum). If she comes to me with a question or problem I stop and Immediately try to answer her question or fix the problem but end up going right back to what I was doing. I know she needs my focused attention more. Most of the time when I do give her my focused attention that's all she wants, not answers to questions or me to fix whatever's wrong. She just needs me to listen and show her she's more important than whatever I may be doing at the time.

Right now, I’m in a season with soon to be adults who need focused time with me and I am so crazy busy that sometimes things fall through the cracks.

Focus! Focus! Focus! Prioritize! Prioritize! Prioritize!
Sometimes, you have to redeem the time because the kids are almost grown:D

Funny, I was talking with daughter Hannah yesterday and realized that the same trust issues are represented in all authority relationships. Our kids need to know that we hear them and that they matter, we need to know that they are on our team and not just exploiting our provision and care to pursue their own agenda.

This!

"You get extra points if your initial reaction is to regret making the offer, but you suck it up and do what he asks anyway, just because you know how pleased and grateful he’ll be."

We got into the faith/works conversation for a bit in our small group last night. Someone said we need to have a joyful heart before we do our deeds/works. I couldn't have disagreed more. Most of the time (for me) it's in the very act of submitting that God gives me happy happy joy joy. :)

Great article.

Ruth Ann noticed that you wrote "More on that later.", but never got back to it. :)

Great article, Andrew!
To step it up a notch, are we trusting in God? It's so easy to say we trust Him, but harder to actually do. Childlike faith = childlike trust. Do we trust Him as a child trusts their parent? Sometimes before we can learn to trust, or learn that someone is trustworthy, we have to just go and do it. Leap first, and trust, as scary as that seems.

Ruth Ann noticed that you wrote "More on that later.", but never got back to it.
I shoulda been more clear. I meant later-later, like a future newsletter. (More accurately, I probably really meant 'later in this newsletter' in the first draft, then decided it was a whole 'nother article-length topic, then reading it on review didn't think to change the language because I knew what I had in mind....:rolleyes:)

Speaking of future newsletters....when? ;)

Finally got to reading this one. Interesting how several pull up childlike faith and trust. In children, distrust arises when you fail to provide structure in their lives or fail to be present; when they no longer trust that you are the adult and in charge and will take care of things.

Which is an interesting dichotomy to how the world views listening and trust. For them, "why won't he listen to me" means "why won't he do what I want him to" and "I don't trust him to do what I say".

Listening is important. It conveys to the person you know and care about them and value them. That you are working in their best interests, even if you don't act according to how they'd like.

In the legal financial world trust is a term for a a specific kind of relationship where you give someone else (trustee) control over something of yours (as beneficiary). You no longer have control of it but trust them with it and they in turn have a fiduciary responsibility to operate in your best interest and with whole disregard for their own interests. They operate for your benefit. (yes legal beagles that is a gross simplification)

Marriage is kind of like that too in that men are entrusted by God to spiritually shepherd their wives to the benefit of the wives and Christ. But also different in that she is there to work for your interests as your helper. She likewise works not for her own benefit, but yours.

Marriage is kind of like that too in that men are entrusted by God to spiritually shepherd their wives to the benefit of the wives and Christ. But also different in that she is there to work for your interests as your helper. She likewise works not for her own benefit, but yours.

All good stuff above, but I’d like to clarify a bit. In the trust relationship mentioned above, you’ve got the wrong beneficiary. The wives are not really beneficiaries, they are additional trustees. The first trustee has sole fiduciary responsibility for everything no matter how many secondary trustees he’s appointed to help with the Rez. Both the focus of the First Trustee (Husband) and the Secondary Trustee’s (wives) is to utilize the Rez for the benefit of the Beneficiaries, the children. The Rez is what is entrusted for the beneficiaries. Scripture distinctly says that a man’s inheritance is for his grandchildren, not his daughters or his sons. The daughters and sons are only beneficiaries until they merge and become trustees of their own trust, with new potential beneficiaries.

In the Biblical Trust scenario, the husband works to protect and provide for the interests of his father, the wife works to help protect and provide for the interests of her father. Both fathers interest are best realized as the product of their trust. Therefore the trustees cannot be the product, merely the overseers.

Back