• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Cold and flu remedies

rustysdove11

Real Person
Female
so we have had either a cold or the flu (and sometimes both) Being passed around our home since OCTOBER! I'm sick to death of us all being sick, the only good thing that has come out of this is that I now know which enzyme cleaners work best for puke. I am looking for ANYTHING that will beat whatever it is we keep getting hammered with.

If you want to go the natural way then I would say use On Guard cleaner and also the On Guard daily capsule and in addition Purify is good for things that you touch alot like doorknobs and counter tops. Now these are the names for DoTerra products because thats what we use, but YoungLiving is the same quality im not sure on price difference though. If you are leary about trying it I was starting to get a sinus infection and added On Guard to the capsule that I take in the morning (I take an empty capsule pill and add Rosemary and Copaibia for inflammation and nerve pain) for 2 days and the infection is gone. @rustysdove11 if you want to treat specific symptoms I can tell you essential oils for them but in general the On Guard is the best thing to start with.

We isolate the sick person. I like Nixall for a disinfectant. We had a kid with mono and another with strep, with isolation and cleaning surfaces with Nixall no one else got sick. Charcoal (food grade in capsules) and coconut milk is an awesome anti microbial we use them for the flu. Bone broth and colloidal silver is something we take on the onset of just about anything. A quality vitamin C from September-April was recommended to me by a nutritionist. Seriously cutting sugar and increasing vitamins/herbs helps. Sorry you are all dealing with sickness-hope there’s relief soon :oops:

Last edited:
@Well loved wife You forgot to give out your recipe for your swamp brew. I guess maybe that’s just something that can only be passed on around a bubbling cauldron! He he! (Or maybe pm her for it)

Bone broth.....yummmmm.

Which kinds of bones do you like most?

Thank you for your suggestions! I've got coconut milk and charcoal already so I'll try that first. I don't like to use essential oils because they give me massive migraines... but maybe I was using them wrong? I'm also wondering if anyone has ever tried to make master tonic/4 thieves tonic? I don't want to invest the time or money into making it if its not affective?

Also, how does one make bone broth? I've heard about but I've never tried it.

Broth? Simmer bones in water. It's the way people used to make soup before corporations sold them on the idea of packaged, food-like products.

The book Nourishing Traditions is a great place to start.

Here's what I've done: If you ever have a chicken carcass from which you've removed all the meat that you can (or wish to), instead of throwing it out toss it into a pot of water along with, say, some salt, onion, and garlic. Simmer (don't boil it to death) for a couple of hours or so and you've got chicken broth! And everything softens up and comes apart, so none of those tiny bits of meat go to waste.

It's comfort food, nutritious, and fantastic for a person with a cold. Nutrition is vital for healing, something many people overlook.

The price of soup bones has gone up recently due to people re-discovering broth. These are the bones (say, from beef) that butchers have left over because people have been taught to not value them, even though they give flavor and nutrition to the food. Vendors at your farmers market may be a source for good ones.

Last edited:
thieves tonic?
That's a Romani brew. Actually the oil my wife suggested on gaurd, is thieves tonic.
Not all oils are medicinal some are fragrance grade with allot of junk in them you really need to do research on them young living and doterra use the same recipes and are medicinal. There are a few other good ones out there.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, My parents buy pasture raised beef every year from a friend who raises cattle, the butcher would send the bones home for free, mom always gave them to our dog! She'd probably let me have a few.... does it matter what kind of bones you use? Because they get lamb bones from the butcher as well.

I keep DrAxe’s powder bone broth on hand. I mix it with apple juice or yogurt. But to make it as already stated, is best and pretty easy. I put vinegar, garlic, onions, water and the bones in a crockpot and let simmer for about 12-24 hrs.

When Samuel had the flu I would put a whole chicken in a pot, add veges (celery, carrot, onion, LOTS of garlic, etc), then cover with water and boil for a few hours. I strained out all the liquid and gave him that to drink as he wasn't eating any food, then put the rest of the food in the wok (took the bones out of the chicken first) with some soy sauce and ginger and fried it up for the rest of us to have on rice.

For the flu I highly recommend boneset tea or tincture. As a tea it is bitter, but it works. You aren’t going to probably find this at the average store or even an average health food store. You would have to order the leaves or pick them in the wild. There are some who say this was one of the most effective means to stop the flu in the 1918 flu pandemic.

I would also highly recommend liquid D3. If you aren’t already taking it, take 20 drops on day 1, 15 drops on day 2, and 10 drops each day for the next week, then 7 drops a day on an ongoing basis. There are some who believe that it isn’t a coincidence that cold and flu season happens when the sun is lowest in the sky causing less vitamin D. If you are anywhere north of Georgia this time of year in the United States, it is very hard to get vitamin D from the sun.

Elderberry syrup is great for coughs, but if the cough is productive you really don’t want it to stop except to sleep. It is getting the bad stuff out. A good alternative to eliminate the fluid buildup is pleurisy root as a tincture. Again, you may not be able to find that in stores.

Mullein is good for coughs too, as is marshmallow root and slippery elm bark. Like I said earlier, don’t stop the productive coughs except to sleep though.

If you’re interested in more specifics on any of this, let me know. I might also have some extra pleurisy root tincture I could send. Elderberries can usually be bought at a health food store. I don’t think I have extra boneset, but I could check.

For the flu I highly recommend boneset tea or tincture. As a tea it is bitter, but it works.
Where can it be found what region? Where could I order it?
Have you tried Eyptian Licorice Tea. I was told it helps with the Flu and croup.

Kevin, the Latin name is Eupatorium perfoliatum, but some know it as thoroughwort. It is widespread across the entire eastern US. It’s a bit late in the year to find it now though. I order mine from Mountain Rose Herbs. They aren’t the cheapest, but their quality is the best I’ve found. Let me rephrase. Their prices aren’t that bad, but their shipping prices are high and they aren’t quick.

The tea is easiest to make. This is from ‘Herbal Antibiotics’ by Stephen Harrod Buhner:

Cold tea: 1 ounce herb in 1 quart boiling water, let steep overnight, strain, and drink throughout the day. The cold infusion is better for the mucous membrane system and as a liver tonic.

Hot tea: 1 tsp herb in 8 ounces hot water, steep 15 minutes. Drink 4–6 ounces up to 4x per day. Boneset is only diaphoretic when hot and should be consumed hot for active infections or for recurring chills and fevers.​

I prefer tincture because it is less work day to day, but you won’t find that in a store. I could make you up a batch and mail it to you, but it might take 6 weeks to make. I’d have to check and see if I have any macerating now. If so, I could have it to you quicker.

If you are having acute flu symptoms, 10 drops of tincture every 30 minutes in hot water for 3 hours works wonders.

I haven’t tied Egyptian Licorice Tea, but I have had licorice tea, and I use licorice in my homemade cough medicine. I think it is a great herb to use.

Another thing I should mention is vitamin C. The doses most people take of this aren’t going to make much of a difference with the flu though. Vitamin C is very effective with viral infections like the flu, but in what is referred to by many as mega doses. Most animals make their own vitamin C, but humans, the great apes, birds, and guinea pigs do not. When most animals are sick, their vitamin C production increases several times more than normal. For example, a goat may typically make 30 grams of vitamin C daily, but when it is battling an infection, it may make 150 grams. I would recommend adults who are sick take 25 grams of vitamin C a day. If it doesn’t cause loose stools, then increase it by 5 grams. Once you hit bowel tolerance (you’ll know it!), your body has reached the limit of what it can use. In a normal, healthy human, this may be 10-15 grams a day. In a sick human, such as someone with the flu, this could be up to 300 grams. I take my vitamin C as a powder - it’s far easier that way. No one wants to take 50 grams a day in capsules.

I feel like what I just wrote is all over the place. Let me summarize here: if a person has the flu, take 25 grams of vitamin C daily in 5 gram doses every 3 hours. Yes, I know this is a lot. There is a tremendous amount of solid research on this though. If that doesn’t cause loose stools, increase it the next day to 6 gram doses every three hours. When loose stools occur (or gurgling in your stomach), back off by a gram an hour. Once the illness is over, you will need to back that down considerably or you’ll be spending your day expelling vitamin C. :)

Touching on vitamin C...

Use only pure vitamin C powder, not anything that is flavored or fancy looking; those others are likely to have various additives which can be expected to be detrimental.

I like vitamin C as sodium ascorbate because it only tastes a little bit salty, vs hydrogen ascorbate which is very sour. I take the NutriBiotic brand which I get from Vitacost.

Here are three really excellent talks on youtube about vitamin C. They're well worth the time spent to watch them. In the middle video, the one from Dr. Humphries; she comments about the thing @aineo mentioned about goats producing vitamin C when well vs when sick.

Crock pot of long bones (with marrow) or backbones with spinal cord still attached from pasture raised lamb or beef is awesome. I've left mine to simmer in the pot for up to 48 hours on the low setting. I actually reuse them until they get soft, while adding a few new ones in each time. The flavor is out of this world. While garlic is essential, and celery can be added for natural saltiness, other flavors will do.

Some folks drink it like a tea, but my favorite is as a soup base, or as liquid when cooking rice.

I hear that some people like to stick the bones in the broiler to brown first. This gives it a deeper flavor. I don't use that method, though.

Bone broths also help to stretch your food dollars. You get huge amounts of nutrition without having to add too much meat.

I like vitamin C as sodium ascorbate because it only tastes a little bit salty, vs hydrogen ascorbate which is very sour.

I haven’t heard the term “hydrogen asocorbate”, but it sounds like you are describing what I call ascorbic acid. This and sodium ascorbate are totally safe in any quantities, however, the same is not true for calcium ascorbate and ascorbic acid bound to some other minerals. They are only good in low doses. It’s best to stick to ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate when mega dosing.

Here are three really excellent talks on youtube about vitamin C. They're well worth the time spent to watch them.

I haven’t checked to see if I’ve watched any of these yet, but I can already say the third is probably really good. Thomas Levy is a practicing doctor (at least he was a few years ago) who is carrying the vitamin C torch in the medical community. If you are familiar with Linus Pauling, two time Nobel prize winner and vitamin C advocate, Dr. Levy is his modern counterpart.

Back