• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

So... I told my pastor that I believe a man having more than one wife is not a sin

As a Pastor myself I know well the pressure of the office & the challenges of it. I run into many fellow Pastors that know many true doctrines that aren't taught in the churches they serve, when we discuss issues they avoid with the body I often press them to why they don't take a stand.

When I was a youth I was asked to give a lesson to the church on a Wednesday night. I was kind of naive at the time and so gave a lesson on differences I saw between the church in scripture and our church (nothing to do with polygamy). It ended up causing a huge controversy and I recall at one point the pastor turning aside a couple of Sundays later and quietly saying to me that he totally agreed with me, but if he said so he would lose his job. I was shocked. It was a rude awakening to how the church really worked.

I try not to be too hard on the church though, for fear the husband may take her side against me.

The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe. - Proverbs 29:25

And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. - Mark 4:19

For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. - Titus 1:10-11

Now while that last verse applies directly to paid pastors be careful, the first two cut both ways, bringing to my mind our recent discussions about what to call our second women when interacting with potentially hostile people.

Ask them, "If they made monogamous marriage illegal would you obey the law or would you break the law and why?"
I've also used the Braveheart example of William Wallace and Murron (at least back when it was more in the public mind...) to illustrate that concept. It's so easy to see why William and Murron would have a secret marriage. It's harder to identify one's own culture with the bad guys....

Now while that last verse applies directly to paid pastors be careful, the first two cut both ways, bringing to my mind our recent discussions about what to call our second women when interacting with potentially hostile people.

Wouldn’t it be perfectly biblical to call a second lady, my woman?

Yes.

Mormons like to quote KJV Isaiah 54:2 in reference to "stake" as their name for an administrative unit encompassing several congregations in an area, but stakes as women gives the verse a whole other and more interesting connotation.

Ive often wondered if the reference to a stake is somehow connected with the shoots that are planted by the Father. I wonder if the reference in Psalms 1 is the equivalent of a tent stake or waw/vav that is planted by the rivers of waters, that bringeth forth her fruit in her season.

Ive often wondered if the reference to a stake is somehow connected with the shoots that are planted by the Father. I wonder if the reference in Psalms 1 is the equivalent of a tent stake or waw/vav that is planted by the rivers of waters, that bringeth forth her fruit in her season.

Some species of tree, such as willow, are propagated essentially by cutting branches into stakes and pounding them into damp soil during the winter dormant period. Some especially fertile areas of the world were reputed to cause the fence posts to sprout and grow; though that may only work with certain local woods commonly used for posts that can propagate that way.

Cottonwoods do that too.
We have a row of monster trees that started out fenceposts.

Back