• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Stop Looking For A Wife: You Won't Find One

Doc

Real Person
(I recently came across this blog post, and have reprinted it here with the link. I do not necessarily agree with everything in the article, but there are some real truths that I think we have to reckon with. Here is the link: http://www.the-spearhead.com/2010/10/08/stop-looking-for-a-wife-you-wont-find-one/ ~~~ Doc)

As I look back on my life, I realize that one of the biggest misconceptions I had when I was younger was that wives actually existed. Like many men, I learned the hard way that they do not, and now I realize I’d simply been scammed. Far too many men have fallen victim to this con, and it’s about time that we put some effort into eliminating it.

First, what is a wife? As many of us see it, a wife is a female who partners with a man and provides intimacy and support, and who contributes to the well-being of a family. Above all else, she is devoted to the family, and will sacrifice time, effort and even desire to hold it together. In short, she is the complementary image of a husband, with whom she cooperates in furtherance of this family ideal.

Such a naïve, flawed view of contemporary women came from a general lack of understanding about what they are, and ultimately from a projection of our own masculine attitudes about what is good and desirable in this world. This is why so many of us, as young men, had such a difficult time understanding why weddings are so important to women; to us the wedding was simply the gateway to this idealized world of the family — it was just a first step, a beginning.

For women, a wedding is not a beginning, but an end. It is a culmination of years of longing and preparation to be a bride, and marks a triumph and achievement. To understand this from a masculine perspective, think of the athlete who spends years training, dreaming and striving for victory. After all those years of struggle and discipline, practice and sweat, he finally gets the chance to compete in a stadium full of spectators. If he is the victor, he stands on the podium in front of the crowd, and is given his medal to his national anthem. This is a very emotional experience for many athletes, and a great joy. The bride standing at the altar is experiencing the same thing. It is her triumph — her wreath of laurels.

Little breeds a sense of entitlement more than victory, so marriage is tainted from the beginning by this triumphal celebration of the bride. Therefore, Western women go into marriage not as a wife, but as a conqueror. After that, to ask her to submit to – or even cooperate with – her husband would be akin to asking the triumphant athlete to resign himself to working the same dull, boring jobs his friends who never made the cut had to settle for. Some athletes may have the humility and grace to accept such a life without regret and bitterness, but obviously many will not.

But it doesn’t start there. Wives are made, not born. Just as a wild mustang colt must be broken to the saddle, so must a woman be broken to wifely duties from childhood. And how is the woman-child made into a wife? Traditionally, methods varied by class, but what they all had in common was that she was put to work or kept very busy from a young age. A farmer’s daughter would milk the cows, help her mother in the kitchen, sweep, sew, mend and tend the fire. Often, she would look after her younger siblings as well. Both her mother and father would hold her to her duties and warn her against vanity and daydreaming.

One might think that the daughters of the wealthy were spared such a regimen, but they had other matters to attend to. Thomas Jefferson, for example, outlined a very specific (and very busy) program for his 11-year-old daughter:

With respect to the distribution of your time, the following is what I should approve:
From 8. to 10. o’clock practise music.
From 10. to 1. dance one day and draw another.
From 1. to 2. draw on the day you dance, and write a letter next day.
From 3. to 4. read French.
From 4. to 5. exercise yourself in music.
From 5. till bedtime, read English, write, &c.

Not only did he make sure to occupy her time as fully as possible, he demanded regular updates as well:

I expect you will write me by every post. Inform me what books you read, what tunes you learn, and inclose me your best copy of every lesson in drawing. Write also one letter a week either to your Aunt Eppes, your Aunt Skipworth, your Aunt Carr, or the little lady from whom I now enclose a letter. . . . Take care that you never spell a word wrong. Always before you write a word, consider how it is spelt, and, if you do not remember it, turn to a dictionary. It produces great praise to a lady to spell well…

In addition to all these duties, he inculcated a sense of propriety, or, one might even say, shame:

A lady who has been seen as a sloven or slut in the morning will never efface the impression she has made, with all dress and pageantry she can afterwards involve herself in…

I do not wish you to be gayly clothed at this time of your life, but that what you wear should be fine of its kind; but above all things, and all times let your clothes be clean, whole, and properly put on…Nothing is so disgusting to our sex as a want of cleanliness and delicacy in yours.

Looks pretty harsh, doesn’t it? In fact, these letters have been taken as proof of Jefferson’s misogyny, but it may simply be that Jefferson, a very prolific letter writer, was raising his daughters according to norms of the time. Rather than being exceptionally strict, I suspect he was simply exceptionally prolific in his written correspondence, and when modern women read the reality of the time they are horrified because they can’t possibly imagine what hell it must have been to be female before being spoiled became a “right.”

It wasn’t any better for contemporaneous Virginian men, who were subjected to a great deal more physical brutality than women, and expected to sacrifice their very lives on principles of honor. Minor infractions such as soldiers filching an extra few drams of whiskey were punishable by brutal lashings, and insults often occasioned fatal duels. They were different times — times most of us are happy to leave in the past.

Perhaps women raised before the 1950s – women whose parents would have been strongly affected by Depression-era values – were still raised to be wives, but after postwar prosperity took hold the inclination waned. It was seen as unnecessary cruelty to treat girls in that manner, and while boys, whose fathers were often psychologically (and sometimes physically) scarred war veterans, still took a drubbing for some time, the natural human tendency to indulge children, and girls in particular, took hold. By the 1970s, only a few fundamentalist Christians and Orthodox Jews were still raising their daughters to be proper wives, but these women are generally off-limits for your typical secular or lightly religious Westerner. That may be for the best, because I doubt your typical Western man would know how to handle a wife any better than he knows how to ride a horse.

However, despite the dramatic changes in society, the idea of the “wife” still persists. Although we know that the cowboy on horseback is largely a thing of the past, most of his duties replaced by trucks, feed lots and barbed wire, we still persist in this notion that there is such a thing as a wife, that they are all around us, and that they can be found easily, attracted by shining amulets of crystalline carbon, whereupon they begin magically cleaning house, preparing meals and producing children.

If someone were to tell young men that with a little pixie dust they could fly like Tinkerbell, they could hardly be making a more absurd statement than in telling them that a contemporary Western woman will, upon marriage, become a helpful, cooperative and cheerful wife, but I suppose hope springs eternal.

One could say that part of the blame lies with the amulet and dream dealers – the media and corporations who profit from the marriage industry – but that would be to miss the big picture; these people are simply taking advantage of a demand, like all businessmen. In fact, what they sell tends to reflect rather than influence society. Take two Disney movies for example: Snow White and Cinderella.

With a couple of small children under my wing, I’ve had a lot of time to catch up on old Disney movies, and they speak volumes about the times they were produced.

Snow White was released in 1937, during the Great Depression. She is a modest, but cheerful young beauty who hides when she first sees the prince. Menaced and nearly assassinated on the orders of her wicked queen stepmother, a powerful, aggressive seductress, witch and prototypical feminist who hates Snow White for her kind, tender ways and youthful beauty, she flees into the forest, where she finds the hard-working dwarves, who are bachelor miners. Needing some protection she endears herself to the little men by cheerfully cleaning, cooking, baking pies, singing, dancing, etc. Finally, she wins over even Grumpy Dwarf, the Ur MGTOW who has little use for women. Much adventure ensues, in which she is poisoned by the feminist queen, who is subsequently chased to her doom by the furious dwarves. Sad to lose their pretty little helpmeet, the dwarves construct a glass coffin so that her beauty will not be hidden, and her prince finally finds her and awakens her from her slumber with a kiss, upon which they leave to presumably go on to become husband and wife. Note that there is no wedding in the movie.

Snow White, a girl who cheerfully cooks and cleans for short, stout and bald working men and brings some feminine grace and genuine kindness into the mix as well is an example of the old ideal wife. Not every man would get a Snow White, but he could at least expect that women aspired to be somewhat like her as wives and, most importantly, were expected to be so.

Just 13 years later, after the war that changed everything, Disney released another fairytale movie: Cinderella. Like Snow White, Cinderella was the victim of a cruel stepmother who forced her to work as a maid, but her attitude shows a marked difference. Not only does she bitch and moan about housework, she even indulges the household pests, bringing them food and protecting them from the cat.

The plot in Cinderella revolves around a royal ball in which the prince must choose a wife at the insistence of his father. The ball therefore represents female competition along the lines of the modern mating ritual, where females deck themselves out in all manner of finery and compete for the alpha male’s attention. Again, here is another departure from Snow White. Rather than the modest, bashful young princess waiting for a prince to sweep her away, we have a horde of women descending on a giant dance floor competing for the prize, a desirable male who is reluctant to commit. It’s a scene one can see today in clubs in big cities.

After a catfight and some subsequent hocus pocus, Cinderella emerges victorious in the contest to win the prince’s affection, and the king tracks her down by means of one of the high-heeled shoes she left behind. A fabulous wedding in a palace ensues, and the movie is over.

Cinderella is the template upon which today’s girls structure their dreams. Their overriding goal is to win their reluctant prince and stand victorious over the other women at the altar. That’s it. Once it’s over and they are married, it’s all a big letdown. The man is no longer a groom and princely, there are screaming kids and filthy clothes and dishes, no more people are honoring her and the gown is in a box. Drudgery was never part of the bargain, and who the hell is this schlub sitting on the couch watching football to expect a princess to fix him dinner?

So there we have it: there are no more wives, only brides; no more marriages, only weddings. And this change in our society happened over half a century ago.

It’s time we took the concepts of the wife and marriage put them in a museum. Some will say that you can keep your wife and marriage if you run Game on your wife, but let’s be honest here: if you have to Game her to keep her she ain’t your wife – she’s your girlfriend at best – and you aren’t married in the real sense of the word, but shacking up.

As for the Christian preachers out there who say that all you have to do to obtain and keep a wife is provide and be godly, they are liars and fools who pervert the message of their professed religion. It is akin to a Christian saying that salvation can come from good works alone, i.e. Heresy. Their message to young men is dangerous and reprehensible, as young Christian men are no better protected than anyone else, and actually serves as justification for women looking for a convenient excuse to annihilate a family.

So, to the young men out there, I’ll say this loud and clear:

Wives and marriages are like unicorns and leprechauns. If you want to grow up and get on with your life you’d best quit looking for them. You might find a woman, maybe even a decent one, but you’ll no more find a wife than I’ll catch a mermaid in my crab pot.

Expecting the impossible is always a recipe for disaster, so I sincerely hope that young men take this lesson to heart.

Very true...and very sad...good article.

I am not single, so you can edit this out if you want, but I want to agree with one thing that was said.

Wives are not found, they are created. The same is true of husbands.

A radio station that plays popular Christian music has a morning show that has a hubby/wife team. They are very good but the hair on the back of my neck bristles when he calls her his "bride". Bride, to me is the beginning. It is kind of a "qualifier" that leads to the victory in being a "wife." Hubby tried to call me his bride once and I told him that I felt that I had earned and deserved the title of wife.

I was not "trained" to be a wife. I was trained to be a hard worker and to be honest and careful about my life. No one cared about my modesty too much and I was pretty much unaccountable to anyone for anything in most of my childhood, adolescence, and early adult hood. Until I met hubby, I got very angry at the idea that I was accountable to anyone but my boss. With his guidance, (sometimes less than gentle) I came to see the value in being a wife. I learned the hard way that being a wife is a Godly role and that if I do it badly it is a poor reflection on my hubby and my family. My caring for those things made it easier to focus on what is important in being a wife.

So before anyone thinks that a wife is mythical like a unicorn I would ask that they consider that a wife is a lifelong work in progress. I am 100 times the wife I was when I began but no where near the wife I am still going to become. Just like God accepts us as Christians even though we are still sinners. Our husbands accept us as brides, even though we are not fully wives yet. As God perfects us and we become more Christlike, so is our husband a large factor in the perfecting of us as wives. And here is another scary thing... If my husband creates his wife in me I am created to be his helpmeet. I don't fit any other man. Just the one that "created" me. So if I am widowed and remarry, I will have to go through the effort of becoming his wife.

SweetLissa

Like Lissa I am not single but I must say I agree with her 100%

If it were not for God showing me the importance of being a helpmeet through my husband I would not be HALF the wife/mother I am today.

I too feel like I am much MORE of a wife than I was when I was married 13 years ago. I think I would have to be. I had to learn to live with someone God intended to my my leader and head. I had to learn to be biblically submissive to my spouse in order to be closer to my Christ. As I search to me more Christlike I become more of the wife and mother my family need me to be.

Again Lissa shots it out of the park! I just told my husband the other day that "Bride" is the girl who wears white in the magazines. I never did that. I want to be "wife" and am striving for it too!

About the comparison to men not being the great husbands at first: A friend of mine a few years ago told me about a preacher who had talked about child rearing. It explained about training boys to be like arrows. No matter what they have to do in life they will be leaders and male role models for boys as well as husbands-to hit the mark in the world in order to protect/provide for their family. Girls should be trained not as arrows but to be very flexible and mold to the needs of husbands and families. I forgot what tool/material they were compared to in the teaching. It took me a few years to understand the significance of the teaching. At first it rubbed me the wrong way, though.

I specifically said that the same is true of husbands. But since I am a wife, not a husband I can only talk about myself.

Sweetlissa

donnag said:
As if men are all the husband they're going to be at marriage. Please.
for some, that is the best that they will ever be :D
may we all grow in the grace and in the knowledge of our Lord..............

I think one of the hardest parts is the spouse waiting or working thru their own hang-ups prior to getting to the point of being marginally good at husbandry or helpmeet. I have friends that by all accounts have good theology and decent interpersonal skills but when it comes to their mate are just terrible. Sometimes it has to come down to divorce or threat of divorce for them to see that it is just rude to treat her/him that way. Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted and forgiving one another, even as Christ has forgiven you! Be nice- it works!
Sometimes that little boy that's throwing sand at you really DOES like you but doesn't know how to say it. The more mature folks need to take him aside and say "That's not how you do that! Try this..." ;)
Maddog

Maddog said:
I think one of the hardest parts is the spouse waiting or working thru their own hang-ups prior to getting to the point of being marginally good at husbandry or helpmeet. I have friends that by all accounts have good theology and decent interpersonal skills but when it comes to their mate are just terrible. Sometimes it has to come down to divorce or threat of divorce for them to see that it is just rude to treat her/him that way. Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted and forgiving one another, even as Christ has forgiven you! Be nice- it works!
Sometimes that little boy that's throwing sand at you really DOES like you but doesn't know how to say it. The more mature folks need to take him aside and say "That's not how you do that! Try this..." ;)
Maddog

I noticed that the guys who throw sand at girls seem to have a lot better luck at finding someone than polite guys. It just shows more about the character of typical American women than it does about men. I said typical not all.

DocInMO said:
Little breeds a sense of entitlement more than victory, so marriage is tainted from the beginning by this triumphal celebration of the bride. Therefore, Western women go into marriage not as a wife, but as a conqueror. After that, to ask her to submit to – or even cooperate with – her husband would be akin to asking the triumphant athlete to resign himself to working the same dull, boring jobs his friends who never made the cut had to settle for. Some athletes may have the humility and grace to accept such a life without regret and bitterness, but obviously many will not.

But it doesn’t start there. Wives are made, not born. Just as a wild mustang colt must be broken to the saddle, so must a woman be broken to wifely duties from childhood. And how is the woman-child made into a wife? Traditionally, methods varied by class, but what they all had in common was that she was put to work or kept very busy from a young age. A farmer’s daughter would milk the cows, help her mother in the kitchen, sweep, sew, mend and tend the fire. Often, she would look after her younger siblings as well. Both her mother and father would hold her to her duties and warn her against vanity and daydreaming.

One might think that the daughters of the wealthy were spared such a regimen, but they had other matters to attend to. Thomas Jefferson, for example, outlined a very specific (and very busy) program for his 11-year-old daughter:

I really enjoyed reading this (although I have only skimmed through it so far) and very much appreciate the posting. I love the quote, "Wives are made, not born."

It is interesting to read this in light of the 8 years since; and how little has changed but waxed worse. A lot of the ideas here have seen large exposure but there is one little bit not broadly talked about...

For women, a wedding is not a beginning, but an end. It is a culmination of years of longing and preparation to be a bride, and marks a triumph and achievement. To understand this from a masculine perspective, think of the athlete who spends years training, dreaming and striving for victory. After all those years of struggle and discipline, practice and sweat, he finally gets the chance to compete in a stadium full of spectators. If he is the victor, he stands on the podium in front of the crowd, and is given his medal to his national anthem. This is a very emotional experience for many athletes, and a great joy. The bride standing at the altar is experiencing the same thing. It is her triumph — her wreath of laurels.

I understand the value of the wedding ceremony from the standpoint of community approval of the couple and as a vehicle for helping fund/equip the new couple. But the OP's perspective on the marriage ceremony shed's a lot of light on one of the sources of our present problems and a good argument for doing away with it. Should we? What should it be replaced with?

This concept of the ceremony reminds me of the marriage proposal, and how it probably has it's source in the practice of courtly love where a knight would get on a knee, present a ring and pledge his obedience to a lady (presumably this was a sexless arrangement, as she might often if not always be married to a lord). Both the proposal and the romanticism have contribute to inverting headship in marriage; no surprise the wedding ceremony has too. Though I'm less sure how that came about.

Stop Looking For A Wife: You Won't Find One

Which presents a question for those of us looking for a woman, "how is the woman-child made into a wife" in our time? Can we accomplish this ourselves given what we have to work with or is that a quixotic endeavor?

Doc was single when he wrote that.
He has since married and disappeared.
I wonder what he would write today.

Ephesians 5:25-28 (KJV) 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. 28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

I need to patent “IKEA Patriarchy, some assembly required.”

Yes , even the wedding ceremony itself is that of a conquering empress. Largely modeled after queen Victoria's wedding is has taken over not just the western world but can be throughout the earth. The large stately dress, often a tiara ( how many grooms get to wear a crown?) , roaring music and everyone stands in her honor. Its HER day and even in this largely monogamy only world, the groom is not given HIS day nor is it THEIR day. The whole is nauseating when you think about it. Like a big set up for disappointment. One of my oldest friends who never married ( we have flirted with the idea of her joining our family for many years) worked for her families wedding shop and swore off having a crazy big wedding if she ever married. The bridezillas made her crazy to say the leasts. Acting like brats, selfish, me me me and all this is supposed to lead up to marriage? So yeah....trouble right out the gate is I guess what I'm saying.

Yes , even the wedding ceremony itself is that of a conquering empress. Largely modeled after queen Victoria's wedding is has taken over not just the western world but can be throughout the earth. The large stately dress, often a tiara ( how many grooms get to wear a crown?) , roaring music and everyone stands in her honor. Its HER day and even in this largely monogamy only world, the groom is not given HIS day nor is it THEIR day. The whole is nauseating when you think about it. Like a big set up for disappointment. One of my oldest friends who never married ( we have flirted with the idea of her joining our family for many years) worked for her families wedding shop and swore off having a crazy big wedding if she ever married. The bridezillas made her crazy to say the leasts. Acting like brats, selfish, me me me and all this is supposed to lead up to marriage? So yeah....trouble right out the gate is I guess what I'm saying.
Here's a thought... how has our modern cultural 'all-about-the-bride' wedding mentality warped the way we understand preparation to meet the Messiah, our King?

Focus seems to be getting cleaned up and ready, but we don't talk about the things that really make us beautiful... servant's heart, ready hand, cheerful in the work, etc.

Our thoughts focus on modern bride v the wife we desire.

@KatyBeth and I were talking the other day about how weddings should be since the current concept is absolutely ludacris. In the church we attend every once in a while during the service a blessing on something is inserted. Example would be the congregation's new officers come up before the congregation, a prayer is said to ask God to help guide them, a quick blessing is given on them, they return to their seats, and the service continues.
We were talking about how this should also be how weddings are handled. Something quick and simple during the service. The pastor says a prayer for each of them to be guided in their positions within the family and a quick blessing is given and they return to their seats.
Boom. Done.
Then if they want to serve cake during fellowship time after the service then that would be in place of the current elabrate reception party nonsense.

Back