• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hi from Holland

Van

Male
Hi, I’m from Holland (Europe) and I have one wife and two daughters. After having browsed this forum for over a year, I finally decided to join.

A couple of years ago I had to write a survey paper on Song of Songs. Applying the historical-grammatical method (rather than the allegorical method), I was surprised to find this book is all about the joyful expectation of marital intimacy in a polygynous context. The book is like a musical with chorus and solos of the bride, the king, and the sister-wives. The whole theme (or lesson so to speak) is for the bride to learn that she cannot claim her husband, while the sister-wives welcome her showing their joy and support. The only book in the Bible fully devoted to marriage, which is titled by the Holy Spirit as “the song of all songs,” is all about polygyny! I could hardly believe it. I turned my paper in and I could not sleep that night. What if I am wrong? I was afraid to be expelled from seminary. But nothing happened. My paper only included the plain truth of Scripture. My eyes were opened.

The years that followed, I had to go through the entire Scriptures because of my study, passage by passage. I learned from numerous passages that Biblical marriage is polygynous by nature, whether a man has one wife (his first) or more than one. I also learned about the importance of the polygynous nature of marriage as a prophetic picture of our union with Jehovah. In my search for answers, I also stumbled upon this community. I was impressed by the way you all communicate (in love) and over time I had this growing desire to join this community, to have brothers and sisters I can share and discuss with and learn from.

Welcome @Van! Loved reading about your journey to the Truth. I know of 2 other families that also believe in polygyny that live in The Netherlands. I would be happy to connect them with you if you so desire.

Welcome brother, it is a blessing to read your introduction. What does your wife and family think of your understanding of biblical marriage?
Thanks for asking. They have their own process I think. I shared it with my wife, but she is not open to it. I hope she will introduce herself to the community one day to share her story herself ;)

Welcome!

Welcome, @Van. I've been enjoying your contributions lately. Thanks for introducing yourself.

Is Holland more or less free these days than the United States has become?

Welcome, @Van. I've been enjoying your contributions lately. Thanks for introducing yourself.

Is Holland more or less free these days than the United States has become?

No, it is the same spirit that plays the flute. Passports, bankcards, and covid-passports will all have QR codes, and paying cash over 3000,- will be forbidden. Entrance in hotels, restaurants, spa’s etc. requires a covid passport (vaccine or negative test).

No, it is the same spirit that plays the flute. Passports, bankcards, and covid-passports will all have QR codes, and paying cash over 3000,- will be forbidden. Entrance in hotels, restaurants, spa’s etc. requires a covid passport (vaccine or negative test).
What a pity.

As an odd coincidence, I am right now in the middle of watching the 1944 film The Conspirators, about the Flying Dutchman: "Long Live Liberty!"

Welcome Van! Is that short for Van De Groot or something like that?

Welcome @Van, it's always a pleasure to meet someone with a sound scriptural knowledge and the ability to express it clearly such as yourself.

Reactions: Van
Welcome Van! Is that short for Van De Groot or something like that?

No :) “Van” in Dutch names are part of the last name. “Van de Groot” is a last name, in which “van” means “from” and “de” is a definite article “the.” This goes back to the idea of last names, where it referred to a family. So “Jan Van De Groot” means Jan from the family Groot.

Shalom and welcome, @Van . I have dear friends in The Netherlands. Glad you are here.

Oh, and, is your paper in English? Would LOVE to read it!
You know what is so funny? I read your post, and @Mc_B and I searched for the paper and read it. There was far less included in the paper than I do know now about Song of Songs. What about I start a post about Song of Songs and share with you what I know?

You know what is so funny? I read your post, and @Mc_B and I searched for the paper and read it. There was far less included in the paper than I do know now about Song of Songs. What about I start a post about Song of Songs and share with you what I know?
Many of us would appreciate you sharing what you know so we'd be better equipped for the arguments we encounter.

Welcome!

What about I start a post about Song of Songs and share with you what I know?

I think this is a grand idea!

Welcome! I love meeting people from different places and learning about cultures! :D I actually never heard of Holland yet, I'll research on it a little bit.

Back