• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

this has been discussed before

Jack P.

Real Person
Male
The following is my attempt at refuting an article, that misrepresents the word of God. I hope I did it justice. what do you think?

Re: http://creation.com/does-the-bible-clea ... h-monogamy Article dated 10/3/15 by Dr. Jonathan Sarfat, PhD, Physical Chemist & Creationist Scientist, Spectroscopist (study of interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiations), Chess master, author of at least 5 books. Dr. Sarfat tours the talk shows and debates with evolutionist.

The words in the bible were chosen carefully to guide us. We are supposed to read out of the bible and not into it. You have to first know what was going on before and after any verse that is picked from a chapter or book in order to have a clear understanding of what the verse is trying to convey.
In Matthew 19:3-6 the rabbis were trying to trip up Jesus during his sermon on the mount with a question about divorce. Jesus answered with a quote from Genesis referring to the fact that Adam and Eve were joined and became one flesh. However, God did not create more than one of each and they were commanded to multiply. God did not make a group of people that could decide how they would configure that command on their own, there was only Adam and Eve. They were to join “be joined” literally translated “to glue” have intercourse and become one by having an offspring that is a part of each of them (becoming one). The passage is being taken out of context so the author of the article can try and make a point. However, with study we find that the passage isn’t about how many wives God allows. With further study it does in fact say to be joined and nothing come between them. This is not to say that another wife comes between them – it is a completely different marriage; it isn’t infringing on the first union.
Ephesians 5:22-23, in context, is addressing the way a man and a woman should love one another. Again, the verse is not speaking of how many or if more than one wife is sinful. The passage that refers to the way that Christ loves or loved the church is the example of how a man should be willing to lay down his life for a wife as Christ did for the church. At the time, there was only one church, the one that has Peter as the cornerstone. Through history more churches and denominations have been established. As a believer I know that Christ claims many churches as his bride. Therefore, the argument can be made that if this passage had been written later…well, reason and logic say (by the standard of this author) that every man would have to have more than one wife to be Christ like. But, again, this is taken out of context to make a false point. This passage wants men to learn, know and be willing to protect and even die for a wife.
The 10th commandment shouldn’t even be in this discussion. It is instruction on not wanting what another man has. Whether it is one of his wives or all. Again, the author is trying to prove a point that is not supported by the chosen passage. My point on this is further demonstrated by the fact that he didn’t even finish this verse. If you continue to read, the verse goes on to say his house, man servant, maidservant, ox or donkey or anything that belongs to him.

1 Timothy 3:2 is a letter that Paul wrote to Timothy while he was in Ephesus and Paul was in Macedonia. He was explaining to Timothy that he needed to take charge and develop the growing church. One of the things Paul was giving instruction on was what kind of man was to be put in charge to lead the church there in Ephesus. Verse three is speaking about this very thing that. The leaders are to be above reproach and should have any upstanding house that is well managed. They should devote their time to the church and its direction. In Halley’s Bible Handbook on page 633 Paul meant “if” a Deacon or Bishop was married he should have only one wife and not be a polygamist. If we read out of this and not into it, Paul had no problem with men that had more than one wife, he just didn’t think they should be leaders in the church. Again, he wasn’t talking about all people just telling Timothy what kind of man to put in charge. Paul didn’t believe that a man with more than one wife would have the time that he would need to devote to the church.
Exodus 21:10 is known as the “book of the covenant” and is the first installment of the law for the Hebrew nation. Yet another example of needing to read out of the bible and not into it, you have to read the verse in the total context. This verse is explaining that it is OK to have more than one wife but you still must support your first wife. If you choose to read on, God talks about widows and fatherless children and the fact that if you take advantage of these he will kill you and your wives.
I could go on but I believe I have made my point. I don’t know what Dr. Sarfat’s agenda is but I do know that if he is trying to manipulate the word of God for his own reasons, I do not want to be standing anywhere close to him when it is judgement day.

Jack P.
Corem Deo

Hi Jack
I like what you have written
There is a lot to cover and I guess the hard part is keeping the rebuttal to a manageable size.
With relation to 1 Timothy 3:2
The part where you say that Paul didn't believe that a man with more than one wife would have the time to devote to church. I'm not sure he believed exactly that but it's not unreasonable.
But here's a thought
we can think
That service as an elder etc is for the privileged ( today's celebrity preacher culture)
Or ..
That service as an elder etc is a dutie / chore not desirable at all but some of those privileged can be exempt from the chores

Something from the Culture of tha day ( I googled this )
"Lex Julia de Maritandis Ordinibus" or "Lex Marita" (AUC 672) - This set of laws re-proposed by Augustus with heavy penalties (AUC 736) governed the imposition of fines and penalties on bachelors. According to this set of laws magistrates were ranked according to the number of children they had. A sufficiently numerous offspring could also give family heads the privilege of not attending to a number of public duties and that married men should be preferred over bachelors in elections for office. Unmarried persons were restricted also in the legacies and inheritance they might receive.

More wives = more children = more privilege = less civil duties
Just a thought
R

Great break down of a wimpy article Jack! I enjoyed reading it and am encouraged by the strong stance you take of God's Word! Blessings!

Rusty

I just reread the original articles and I am kicking myself now. I really admire these creation apologist ministries but I get so disappointed when I read things like this. This particular article is simply dishonest, intellectually if nothing else. The author explicitly admits that polygyny is permissible and that its off-spring can be blessed by God. He implicitly admits that it is not even discouraged let alone forbidden. But he just can't let it say what it says. He has to torture and twist things in order to stay marketable.

And that's what makes me so angry. This author is smart enough and well versed enough that he knows the truth. He is deliberately trying to use scripture to "tickle" his constituency's ears. He can't afford to lose his donor base. I believe that God will be very hard on these false teachers when the time comes. And how does he expect the sceptics to take the Bible seriously when he doesn't believe it himself. Very disturbing.

Answers In Genesis articles are generally an excellent example of how to take the Bible as our authority and just trust it even if if conflicts with modern culture. Until they start talking about marriage. Then all careful scholarship gets thrown out the window so they can toe the party line. And they keep talking about marriage, seeming to consider it a key part of their ministry.

It was actually AIG that taught me polygamy was ok, because I took their teachings on Biblical authority seriously and then applied them to marriage, coming to a different conclusion...

Lol, that's funny. It makes sense though. They do teach all the principles and give you all the tools to come to the conclusion. I can't figure out why everyone fights it so hard. I see individual men's eyes light up when I talk about any aspect of patriarchy. They can never buck their training though. It's disturbing.Ravi Zacharias is the same way which really surprised me.

Back