• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Big Mouthed Izzy

steakandexodus

Well, you guys should be proud of yourselves. It's because of the love of God I have witnessed as I perused these forums that I feel a need to become a part of this community.

____Who Am I?____

You can call me Izzy. I am 24 and recently married my best friend. I'll refer to her as Mrs. Izzy until she decides how she'd like to be involved. I have known her since 2013 and have gotten to know her in that time more than I have anyone else. No children yet. We look forward to that blessed day though. I'm highly interested in philosophy, theology, and apologetics. Most importantly, I am no longer a child of wrath but a child of our almighty King, our Creator, God of Heaven and Earth. In January 2013 I was saved by the grace of God, because of Jesus's death and resurrection, and through the power of the Holy Spirit. I now live my life to know Him and to make Him known.

____Why Am I Here?____

It was actually early May that I began to be challenged to reconsider my presuppositions about what the scriptures had to say about plural marriage. But before that I had done quite a lot of study on what the scriptures had to say about marriage in general. Ever since I considered the real potential of being married, about 3 years ago, I began to dig deeper into what was tradition and what was of God in the realm of marriage. I quickly found myself on the fringe of my contemporaries as I rejected the validity of the government's involvement in marriage, as well as what marriage is according to the scriptures. Even still, I gave God what was God's; I got married without a marriage license. This was what I believe began my journey of following God rather than man. I was repulsed by the idolatry of my peers. I would find myself grieved as they talked about these traditions and social constructs as if they were reflections of The Almighty. Because of this, my own father refused to go to my wedding. He currently believes I am living in sin and am a fornicator.

Thinking about it, this experience is likely why I have found myself so sympathetic toward those of you currently living out a plural marriage contra mundum (against the world).

So after these experiences I think I have a handle on what marriage is and what the bible says about it. Boy was I wrong. I realized there was something I was missing when, like I do when a question/subject is on my mind, I went to GotQuestions.org to survey the thoughts and perspectives of other believers about polygamy. To be honest, I don't know what provoked me to even look into the subject of polygamy at all. It never came up as I was studying marriage, but the thought still arose. So I go to the article they have on polygamy. Now, to give you a bit of background of what I thought I knew about polygamy; It was Mormon, it was obviously sinful, and the bible only described polygamy occurring but was never approved by God. Wonder where I got those beliefs? More unchecked presuppositions that were built into my worldview by contemporary believers. So, to my surprise the article at GotQuestions.org began by saying that the bible nowhere explicit condemns it. I let that sink in a little and decide that I need to really evaluate the arguments they provide to support their position if I'm going to go around condemning polygamy. I found that their arguments weren't very strong, even at face value. This led me to search for those that were defending polygamy from a Christian perspective to hear both sides of the debate. Long story short, I spend the next month heavily debating this with myself as I study the arguments for and against polygamy. I can't even begin to describe how it felt to come to the realization that the scriptures not only allow for polygyny (I learned a new word in the process, haha.), but it was considered just as valid as a marriage option as monogamy.

The month after being convinced of the truth of biblical plural marriage I began, like I do with most things I become passionate about, compiling as many resources as I can about this truth. I quickly discovered this community and boy has it been a blessing ever since. It was because of the insights I found here that I found the confidence to discuss this newfound truth with my new wife. I thank God that I had built up so much trust and love with her for the last 3 years that she has responded very well. It's actually quite funny how this came up. She was actually criticizing Polygamy after she watched an episode of Sister Wives when I began asking her questions about it, eventually leading to me explaining bit by bit what the bible actually says about it. She was actually very quick to trust that I studied this carefully and that I wasn't just trying to justify perversion. She accepts this truth based on the trust she has in me, but I am currently in process of going through the scriptures with her so that the confidence in this truth is not only in me, but in God's word.

Finally, this brings me to why I am getting involved in this community rather than stalking you guys and gals like I have for the last month. It comes down to two things. 1) I know too much now. As my knowledge increases about plural marriage, the godly folks involved, and the struggles involved I find it increasingly difficult to sit idly by and not contribute in any way that I can. This monogamy only deception and oppression has stirred a fire in me to speak up. 2) I'm going to need support too. I recognize that what is to come is not going to be easy for me as it isn't for many of you. I think it will be really good for me to open up to someone about all of this and be able to get wise godly counsel from those that see marriage and family from a more sound perspective.

____Where Am I On This Journey Now?____

I'll leave some of the details for a post I plan on making seeking guidance, but I'll share some basics. Although I perceive that my relationship with my wife has matured to that of being married for 3 years, we have only been married for a little over a month. Ever since accepting the truth of plural marriage I have been seeing just how much sense it would make to pursue that lifestyle for a number of reasons. Not only for the practical reasons, but because I have always had a strong desire to pour out as much of myself into others as I can. Another wife would be yet one more way to serve, love, and reflect Christ and the church. I have not expressed just how strong these desires are to Mrs. Izzy yet because there is much more ground to cover with her without her worrying about another woman being in the picture. I'm taking things slow and letting the Lord work on our hearts as we move forward. I will note, I have no intention of hiding another woman from her in any aspect. If God would have me take another wife, He will want her to embrace this as well.

____Thank You!____

The last thing I have to say for now, I know I've said too much already (haha), is a hearty thank you! Everyone here has been a wonderful blessing in my life thus far and I look forward to getting to know you all in a more interactive way. Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction. Peace be upon you all.

Last edited:
Welcome Izzy. Friends you've found.

Welcome, Izzy.
I so appreciate the story of your journey.

Welcome aboard, and I am impressed that you figured enough of this out before your first marriage to keep that one out of the clutches of the state, most of us realise this too late and already have marriage licences. It's a shame your father doesn't recognise this, but you haven't been married long, eventually he may get used to it and be won around by your actual behaviour. And most of us stalked the site for a while too before signing up, that's completely ok, that's what it's there for!

God has blessed you with a wonderful, accepting and trusting wife. Don't take advantage of that, continue to be very slow, as you already know. I can see a particular risk that she could perceive this as you attempting to replace her - however well they understand this from a theological level, most women can still assume their husband must love a new wife more than them just because they're sensitive women, while for her she actually has a physical disability which could reinforce that thinking pattern, just imagine the emotional hole she could let herself get worked into... But it sounds like you're well aware of that.

Looking forward to getting to know you both better. Your wife is also welcome to sign up, and the ladies have an online chat ever Tuesday night she might find very valuable (they talk more there than on the forum).

FollowingHim said:
God has blessed you with a wonderful, accepting and trusting wife. Don't take advantage of that, continue to be very slow, as you already know. I can see a particular risk that she could perceive this as you attempting to replace her - however well they understand this from a theological level, most women can still assume their husband must love a new wife more than them just because they're sensitive women, while for her she actually has a physical disability which could reinforce that thinking pattern, just imagine the emotional hole she could let herself get worked into... But it sounds like you're well aware of that.

She is quite wonderful indeed! I've never met someone with such love as hers. Thank you sharing that with me. You are pretty much spot on in your evaluation of my circumstances. I value your caution and it encourages me to continue onward slowly and carefully. You are very perceptive of the risks I'm exposed to. Would you have any suggestion on how I might go about setting up some kind of accountability/guidance as I move forward in this? Obviously the church I'm attending won't have much to offer me, but the need is still there.

Best advice right now: If you could in any way make it to North Carolina in a few weeks, there's a retreat happening where you'd meet plenty of like-minded people, including some who you could certainly start an accountability relationship with! But that's rather short notice and a long trip. Other retreats occur in different parts of the USA every few months, and they're the best place to meet people. But this is the next one.
http://www.biblicalfamilies.org/retreats

ZecAustin said:
Welcome Isaiah. You share a name with one of my sons. Be wiser than my son's father and don't let your enthusiasm outrun your wife.
Amen. Thank you for caution. It seems like a temptation that I must not let my guard down against. At the moment she is the one bringing things up, in a positive light, and I get to simply build upon her thoughts. It's made it easy on me thus far.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

FollowingHim said:
Best advice right now: If you could in any way make it to North Carolina in a few weeks, there's a retreat happening where you'd meet plenty of like-minded people, including some who you could certainly start an accountability relationship with! But that's rather short notice and a long trip. Other retreats occur in different parts of the USA every few months, and they're the best place to meet people. But this is the next one.
http://www.biblicalfamilies.org/retreats
It would be a dream if I could make it, but you are right that it is too short notice for me. I'll be looking forward to the day that I'll be able to make it to one. It's a strange experience being on the fringe of my local body. Never had to be so mindful of who, when, and how I spoke truth to.

FollowingHim said:
Looking forward to getting to know you both better. Your wife is also welcome to sign up, and the ladies have an online chat ever Tuesday night she might find very valuable (they talk more there than on the forum).

I was wondering if you thought that it would be wise to plug her into the chat at such an early stage of this? My main concern is that she could be overwhelmed by interacting with this so closely before she has had hardly any exposure to the biblical data. So far plural marriage is just a truth claim I'm making to her, not a potential future lifestyle.

You would be the best judge of when it would be wise to suggest this, you know her better than any of us! But rest assured the ladies are very approachable, completely comfortable with people having doubts as they've all been there before, and not all in polygamy either which might make it less scary. They're just a bunch of nice women chatting about whatever it is women natter about, whatever it is they all seem to enjoy themselves and learn stuff. Whenever I ask Sarah what they talked about she tends to say something to do with food. :)

FollowingHim said:
You would be the best judge of when it would be wise to suggest this, you know her better than any of us! But rest assured the ladies are very approachable, completely comfortable with people having doubts as they've all been there before, and not all in polygamy either which might make it less scary. They're just a bunch of nice women chatting about whatever it is women natter about, whatever it is they all seem to enjoy themselves and learn stuff. Whenever I ask Sarah what they talked about she tends to say something to do with food. :)
Haha, very well then. Thanks for the inside scoop. That is all good to know. The ladies just might have a new guest next week then.

Back