• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Alerts and email notifications

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
If your email inbox is suddenly filling up with alerts from the website, and you don't want it to (or it isn't and you do want it to...), there are a few preferences you may want to tweak.

Note first that this website can "alert" you to things by giving you a little notification to the top right of the page (like Facebook notifications), without emailing you. Or, you can also receive alerts, or just some alerts, by email.

Go to your username (top right), and select "Preferences". Among other things, this lets you choose whether you want to "watch" threads that you comment on (ie, receive an alert whenever someone replies), and whether you want to receive these alerts by email also.

Also, go to your username (top right), and select "Alert Preferences". You can fine-tune what things you want to be alerted about here.

While on that page, look left and select "Contact details". There you can choose whether you want to receive an email whenever someone sends a private message to you (ie a message in a "conversation").
You can also choose whether you wish to "receive site mailings". Leave this checked, we will hardly ever use this feature, we'd only email-bomb everyone if it was something very important that you'd actually want to know about.

Also on the left of the same page, select "People you follow". You can choose to "follow" any individual member and receive alerts whenever they post somewhere.

If you have any issues with this, or further advice, please comment below.

I am struggling to separate email alerts from general alerts - I can only switch off all alerts, not switch off email alerts and keep popup alerts on the forum. If anyone else sees any way to do this that I have missed above, please say so.

Actually I think the main reason my inbox was getting flooded with emails was because at first I was automatically subscribed to every thread I commented on, and by the time I switched that off I was subscribed to so many I seemed to be being emailed about everything that happened on the forum...

To modify watched threads, click on "Watched Threads" above, and you can select threads to unwatch. Or you can keep watching them but turn off email alerts for them.

I presume you mean "conversations", not "chat"? You can turn off conversation alerts in your "contact details" page.

Back