• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Welcome to the new forum

I'll tag along and offer my compliments on the new site. Haven't actually seen it on a PC, yet, but I can concur that the mobile interface is absolutely fantabulous.

I'm not real tech savvy, but was interested in how you add a link to your facebook profile? Has anyone else tried doing that?

Two options:

Hover over your username (top right), in the dropdown menu select "Contact details". There is a place there to place the url of your Facebook profile.
Once you have done that, people should be able to find it on your "Profile page", in the "Information" tab.
To test that out, I have placed "www.facebook.com/thisisatest" in there on my page, can you see it?
It doesn't seem to come up as a link though.

The other way would be to go to "Personal Details" (in the same dropdown menu), and add a link to your Facebook profile in the "About You" section. There you can put absolutely any information you like, links and images.

The second way is probably better

FH, as a matter of privacy, is there a way to automatically display my age (in years) without displaying the full date of birth? The current setup seems to start by showing the day and month, then adds the option to display one's age. (This is all separate from the pick-a-decade dropdown menu which I suppose is an artifact of the old software.) I'm aware of the "About You" field and the option to hide profile details from some viewers, but each has drawbacks.

At present there's just the dropdown with an age range. This is a custom field, I could edit it or add a new one asking for an actual age (though this would need to be updated every year rather than once a decade). I can't see a way of letting your age be displayed from the Xenforo "date of birth" field.

Anyway, I'd never put my real date of birth into these things anyway, I think I've given my year of birth as 1901, I suspect that if we displayed the ages from this field it would be so unreliable since people will have entered false years that people might pay no attention to it... :) The age range is more likely to be entered correctly by most users.

Does anyone else think I should make a custom field for actual age, or is the age range one sufficient?

Age range works for me.

I can't see a way of letting your age be displayed from the Xenforo "date of birth" field.
It already does this. But only if one also enables display of the full birth date.

Not a big deal. I can put "Born 1966" in the "About You" field and just leave it at that. Thanks for looking into it.

That's what I meant sorry, I can't see a way of letting it only do this, at least through the GUI.

Andrew, this discussion suggests it may be possible to modify this further using a command-line query, but I don't see how / don't have permissions to do this - and I'm not sure that it would work anyway as this thread only discusses hiding year, or hiding all, not selectively hiding date but leaving year. It just suggests to me that it might be possible. I'm not sure this is a feature that many people other than mystic would be looking for either to be honest. If this thread suggests to you an obvious, easy way to do this, great, otherwise it's not a big deal as mystic says.

FH, I looked at that, but I would be starting from scratch to try to figure out how the forum software actually works. Nathan would be the best guy to take a look at that.

How do I display group age only if I don't want for my entire DOB to be displayed then (would want to display year only)? Couldn't figure that one out, please help?

Go to your name (top right), in menu click "Personal Details". There is an "Age" dropdown menu, say your age range. This will appear on your profile page under "Information".

Great, that's worked, thank you!

If you ever need to edit the title of a thread you have posted (e.g. to fix a typo), you can't do this by editing your first post, that only allows you to edit the post content. Instead, to the top right of your first post you'll find a little dropdown menu entitled "Thread tools". In here, select "Edit thread", and you can change the thread title.

If you ever want to link to a particular post, rather than an entire thread, click the little grey number at the bottom right of the post, just to the left of the word "Reply". For this post it's "#37". This will open a popup that will give you a link you can copy and paste anywhere. The popup contains more than just this, if in doubt just copy the link at the top and ignore everything else.

There is a feature that i miss from the old forum. The list of recent threads. It was slightly different than the New Posts as that list drops threads off as you read each one. The recent threads was simply a list of all the threads that had been posted to in reverse chronological order. What purpose would it serve?

There was a recent post that i read and, at that time, had no comments to make. Later, i wished to add something. Since i have already read the new post, it no longer shows up in the New Posts list. I must now try to find it among all the other threads. If there was a Recent Posts list, I could just go that list and find the thread i wanted.

The previous forum software had this and would be great it have it again. If not, oh well. Thank you. :)

When you go to New Posts and there's no new ones, it says 'You have no unread posts. You may view all recent posts instead.'
Click on 'view all recent posts' and it will show you the latest ones. There may be another way of doing this that Samuel knows of though.

Oh my gosh. Are you serious?!? Agghgh. It's been there the whole time. and I've just been looking right over it.
LOL! Thank you Sarah. Much obliged

This deserves a meme.
48a0a599013fef0e5b4f8f6dd48987e8267c4296396efab1176e4ebdbf7ef8f5_1.jpg

Back