• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Language affects our ability to think

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
We think using words. Try thinking without using words or symbols. We can imagine a few simple things without using words (I can imagine myself picking up a spade and digging a hole by simply picturing it in my mind), but as soon as we start attempting to think of anything more complex, we think using words in our mind. We think in our language. And those words strongly affect our thoughts.

We all live in the same world. But we organise the things we see into groups using language. And then we understand the world based on how we have organised it. For instance, there are many four-legged furry pets. But we primarily group them into "cats" and "dogs" and then understand them using those terms. We decide "we want a dog" and then look for a dog. Theoretically we could also organise them by size, or colour, or something else. And we might think about them quite differently if we did that.

But we don't organise the world for ourselves, because we don't make up our own language. It has already been organised for us. We are taught a language, a system of organising the world, when we are young. This language teaches us how to think, and we tend to think that way all our lives.

Alexander Bain said:
Without any formal instruction, the language in which we grow up teaches us all the common philosophy of the age. It directs us to observe and know things which we should have overlooked; it supplies us with classifications ready made, by which things are arranged

Benjamin Whorf said:
We dissect nature along lines laid down by our native languages. The categories and types that we isolate from the world of phenomena we do not find there because they stare every observer in the face; on the contrary, the world is presented in a kaleidoscopic flux of impressions which has to be organized by our minds -- and this means largely by the linguistic systems in our minds. We cut nature up, organize it into concepts, and ascribe significances as we do, largely because we are parties to an agreement to organize it in this way -- an agreement that holds throughout our speech community and is codified in the patterns of our language. The agreement is, of course, an implicit and unstated one, but its terms are absolutely obligatory; we cannot talk at all except by subscribing to the organization and classification of data which the agreement decrees....

From this fact proceeds what I have called the ‘linguistic relativity principle,’ which means, in informal terms, that users of markedly different grammars are pointed by their grammars toward different types of observations and different evaluations of externally similar acts of observation, and hence are not equivalent as observers, but must arrive at somewhat different views of the world.

For a deeper understanding of this, read this article.

This may seriously affect our ability to understand scripture.

Charles Briggs said:
The languages of the Bible were prepared by Divine Providence as the most suitable ones for declaring the divine revelation to mankind.... Language is the product of the human soul, as are thought and emotion, and, therefore, depends upon the constitution of that soul, the historical experiences of the family or race speaking it, especially the stage of development in civilization, morals, and religion. The connection between language and thought is not loose, but an essential connection. Language is not merely a dress that thought may put on or off at its pleasure; it is the body of which thought is the soul; it is the flesh and rounded form of which thought is the life and energy.... The languages of the Bible being the only adequate means of conveying and perpetuating the divine revelation, it is important that we should learn them not merely from the outside, with grammar and lexicon, but also from the inside, from a proper conception of the genius and life of these tongues as employed by the ancient saints, and especially of the historical genius of the languages as the sacred channels of the Spirit’s thought and life.

For example, consider a drink made from the juice of grapes.

Hebrew has several words: "tiyrowsh" (H8492) meaning fresh pressed grape juice (but associated with merriment or whoredom in some verses so possibly alcoholic), "chamar" (H2562) which seems fairly generic, "yayin" (H3196) specifically meaning fermented wine, "'aciyc" (H6071) referring to either fresh new wine or high quality fermented wine, "shekar" (H7941) meaning particularly strong drink, possibly distilled, and a few others used rarely.
Greek has a single main word for this, "oinos", meaning either fresh grape juice or fermented wine, plus a few others used rarely.
English has a single word, "wine", which all of these are usually translated as. English also has the term "grape juice" meaning unfermented juice, but which isn't used in most Bible translations.

The argument in the English-speaking world is all about alcohol - is this "wine" in the Bible in this particular verse referring to "grape juice" or "wine"? This argument reflects the distinction made in English. We try to take scripture and shoehorn it into English, and can have massive arguments over this issue when it comes to issues like whether Christians should drink alcohol, should we use wine or grape juice for communion etc. But it all comes back to our language.

What if we were thinking about this in Greek? Would we see it all as "oinos", see no fundamental difference between unfermented and fermented "oinos", the difference only being how old the "oinos" is, and would we just not care?

What if we were thinking about this in Hebrew? What is the difference between "chamar" and "yayin"? Are they from different types of grapes? Is there a theological significance to this? Is "tiyrowsh" alcoholic? When is something "tiyrowsh" or "'aciyc"? Should we save "shekar" for people who are in serious pain and only drink "yayin" or "chamar" under normal circumstances? Would there be something completely different that we argued about? Would a Greek or English speaker even understand what the problem was, or would they just think we were crazy?

This has serious implications for our understanding of marriage.

Obvious example:
The English word "adultery" means "sex between a married person and a person other than their spouse". That is how most Christians read the word in scripture. According to this definition, polygyny is adultery.
But in Hebrew, "adultery" means "sex between a married woman and a man other than her husband". To show that polygyny is not adultery, we have to take people back to the Hebrew and re-define the words for them.

But it goes much deeper than that.

A lot of discussion comes back to whether a woman is a "wife" or not, and when she becomes a "wife". Because in English, we have one word for "woman", and another word specifically for "wife". And our English bibles are full of both terms.

While in both Hebrew and Greek, there is no distinct word for "wife", only the word "woman" ("'ishshah" and "gyne"). Some women happen to be associated with husbands, others are not. How much of our thinking is simply a misunderstanding?

Then if you look into the English word "wife", you find that it also used to only mean "woman"! The old meaning of "woman" is preserved in the words "midwife" and "fishwife". The meaning of "married woman" is only around 500 years old or so. So are we getting confused by something that is only a recent change of meaning of a word?

But it goes still deeper.

The entire purpose of our discussions here is to better understand "marriage". The word "marriage" in English means "the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law". The word is ultimately of Latin origin, from "marito" meaning to marry, couple, join, graft or impregnate.

But there is no such word in Hebrew. The words "marry" or "marriage" appear at various times in the Old Testament, but are translated from five different words that are usually translated differently. The closest is "ba'al", meaning "lord" or "rule", which is translated as "marry" eight times in the sense that at marriage a woman is coming under the rule of a man. The next is "chathan", almost always translated "law", but translated three times as "marriage" in the sense of the contractual obligations entered into at marriage.

On the other hand, Greek does have words for "marry" - "gameo / gamizo / gamos" (G1060,G1061,G1062), always translated "marry", "wedding" or something similar. And the variants "ekgamizo / ekgamisko", meaning to give in marriage.

What does this mean for our understanding? When we look at the relationship between a man and a woman from an English, Latin or Greek mindset, we have a concept of "marriage" as a distinct named entity. And we attempt to shoehorn the Hebrew scriptures into defining when this "marriage" starts or ends.

But do we have it all backwards? Does Hebrew reflect YHWH's perspective more accurately? Is there actually no such thing as a distinct thing called "marriage"? Rather, do the Hebrew laws around the relationships between men and women apply more generally to ALL people who are in such a relationship, regardless of the detail of how it was formed or what they call it?

When we look at the obligations of a man and a woman, our primary question, in English, is always "is this couple married, or not?".

What if that's the wrong question?

What if we should rather be simply asking "What obligations does this man have to this woman, and vice versa?"

Sam, thank you so much for writing this. It peels back false presuppositions we have about marriage. May God bless you and your family richly this Christmas season 2016. We are all indebted by your writing ministry, for it is Berean through & through.

Under this premise, do we have an argument against homosexual "marriage" or should we rather differentiate that from homosexual coitus and leave the lawmakers alone?

Frankly I don't care what the government decides to issue pieces of paper for, provided they leave me alone.
"Marriage licences" are a fallacy anyway. A "licence" is permission to do something that would otherwise be illegal. If sex was illegal, then it would make sense to issue licences to allow people to marry. But as you can't licence something that's already completely legal, the whole idea is silly to start with. I see no need to waste time talking to lawmakers about "marriage licences" for monogamy, polygamy, or homosexuality, you can't licence any of them as they're all entirely legal already.
Which means it might make legal sense to issue a homosexual "marriage licence" in Saudi Arabia, to allow gays to get it on without being beheaded for it, but makes no sense in the West.

Frankly I don't care what the government decides to issue pieces of paper for, provided they leave me alone.
"Marriage licences" are a fallacy anyway. A "licence" is permission to do something that would otherwise be illegal. If sex was illegal, then it would make sense to issue licences to allow people to marry. But as you can't licence something that's already completely legal, the whole idea is silly to start with. I see no need to waste time talking to lawmakers about "marriage licences" for monogamy, polygamy, or homosexuality, you can't licence any of them as they're all entirely legal already.
Which means it might make legal sense to issue a homosexual "marriage licence" in Saudi Arabia, to allow gays to get it on without being beheaded for it, but makes no sense in the West.

Good answer. Although, at least here in the states, homosexual sex was outlawed, and may still be technically illegal in several states still.

I am in a complete minority in my religious circles on polygyny AND homosexual marriage. I think it's a complete waste of time and money for we believers to get involved in. No matter what the state issues, God doesn't recognize it. As long as we are not threatened by governmental fiat to perform or condone....so be it. If they do force organized churches to be a part of it...we go underground! A revisit to the apostolic age would do us well.

Oh, and in reference to the original post, many language theorists would posite that we only "learn" to think in words. Our first thinking is image driven and will stay that way unless language is introduced. This is why Jesus' method of teaching in parables was so effective. People heard words, but thought images. If you want to learn another language without reading a translation, you would need a picture book and someone uttering the sounds that form the word. All languages (including Hebrew I believe) started out as pictographic/hieroglyphic markings.

Oh, and in reference to the original post, many language theorists would posite that we only "learn" to think in words. Our first thinking is image driven and will stay that way unless language is introduced.
This works when you're dealing with tangible objects you can visualise as images. When you start thinking about abstract concepts, you need to think of them using some sort of symbol or word. If nobody has given you a symbol or word for the concept, you'll make one up - and then be thinking in language. For instance, we can mentally calculate "two dogs plus three dogs equals five dogs" by imagining five dogs - but we cannot mentally calculate "5,632 dogs * 4 legs" without using numbers, in other words a language system, as mental placeholders for the physical objects in order for us to hold the concept in our minds and have a structured way of figuring out the answer.
Another quote from the article I linked to:
Edward Sapir (1921) said:
Most people, asked if they can think without speech, would probably answer, “Yes, but it is not easy for me to do so. Still I know it can be done.” Language is but a garment! But what if language is not so much a garment as a prepared road or groove? It is, indeed, in the highest degree likely that language is an instrument originally put to uses lower than the conceptual plane and that thought arises as a refined interpretation of its content. The product grows, in other words, with the instrument, and thought may be no more conceivable, in its genesis and daily practice, without speech than is mathematical reasoning practicable without the lever of an appropriate mathematical symbolism. No one believes that even the most difficult mathematical proposition is inherently dependent on an arbitrary set of symbols, but it is impossible to suppose that the human mind is capable of arriving at or holding such a proposition without the symbolism. The writer, for one, is strongly of the opinion that the feeling entertained by so many that they can think, or even reason, without language is an illusion.
So whenever we are dealing with theological matters, which are often abstract, we will also need to resort to the symbology of language. The only choice we have is what language we use, ie which categorization system we choose to use. The question is, can we adequately reason about this particular concept using the English system, or will that lead us to false conclusions, and would we be better off considering this particular issue using Hebrew terminology? And I suspect that the more complex the issue, the more need we will have to choose the language carefully.

To illustrate the effects of language, think how much easier it is to calculate:
5,632 * 4
than
MMMMMDCXXXII * IV
The equation is exactly the same. But there's an obvious reason why we use Arabic numerals for mathematics, and not Roman ones.

This works when you're dealing with tangible objects you can visualise as images. When you start thinking about abstract concepts, you need to think of them using some sort of symbol or word. If nobody has given you a symbol or word for the concept, you'll make one up - and then be thinking in language. For instance, we can mentally calculate "two dogs plus three dogs equals five dogs" by imagining five dogs - but we cannot mentally calculate "5,632 dogs * 4 legs" without using numbers, in other words a language system, as mental placeholders for the physical objects in order for us to hold the concept in our minds and have a structured way of figuring out the answer.
Another quote from the article I linked to:

So whenever we are dealing with theological matters, which are often abstract, we will also need to resort to the symbology of language. The only choice we have is what language we use, ie which categorization system we choose to use. The question is, can we adequately reason about this particular concept using the English system, or will that lead us to false conclusions, and would we be better off considering this particular issue using Hebrew terminology? And I suspect that the more complex the issue, the more need we will have to choose the language carefully.
Seeing our limitations in the English language then, and that we are not native Hebrew writers or speakers, can we ever NOT filter our languages experiences through our English lense? Will it always be our default in how we relate to the world?

I think we can approach particular issues by just learning the true meanings of the words associated with that particular issue. Just being aware of the language problem will help enormously.
After looking at this carefully, I'm in the process of figuring out how to add Hebrew to our homeschooling curriculum so we can all learn it together as a family, to get inside the mindset a bit more. I don't think everyone has to do that, but those of us who are attempting to teach others should do our best to get as much understanding as we can, however we can practically manage that.

This topic definitely puts tire on the road in understanding the importance of any source language* and may assist in explaining things to other people, including my wife. Just like every other Churchian Zombie and 99% of mainstream pastors, she rejects the meaning of certain scriptures because "that's not what her English Bible says". You have a 50/50 chance of teaching a Churchian something new because they're already in the mindset to listen to anything they're told, once you get past the pre-programmed fluff. But, don't dare try to tell a pastor anything different.....

*Imagine trying to translate Dr Seuss when half the words are made up while still maintaining that well-known rhythm and rhyme.

I always worry about this language topic. I know none of you take it too far and I believe wholeheartedly that it is valuable and necessary. The skeptics frequently point to the continuing translation and the language barriers as reason to distrust scripture and then the true weirdos use this issue to get off on all kinds of tangents. Yes Jehovah Witnesses, I'm talking to you.

I think we can approach particular issues by just learning the true meanings of the words associated with that particular issue. Just being aware of the language problem will help enormously.
After looking at this carefully, I'm in the process of figuring out how to add Hebrew to our homeschooling curriculum so we can all learn it together as a family, to get inside the mindset a bit more. I don't think everyone has to do that, but those of us who are attempting to teach others should do our best to get as much understanding as we can, however we can practically manage that.
Not trying to argue or get all dialectical on you, but by learning the "true meanings" of words, you are still using another language to express that (English). Inevitably, some aspects will be lost in translation because, as you said before, language is necessary for conceptual/abstract thought. These concepts and thoughts are immersed in cultural and language specific identities built up from childhood. And, besides that, you're going to use an outside translator for these words who either had to learn English to explain it, or learn Hebrew to explain it back in English. I guess perhaps the best source would be a native Biblical Hebrew and English scholar.

Have any of you tried to learn a second language, then gone to any ethnic enclave and try to use it? There are so many shades of meaning, idioms, double meanings...it can be disheartening.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think we will ever be able to say with certainty that we have it all figured out (not saying you think we will either). With diligent study, and our feeble minds, we can only get as close as GOD wants us to get. The beauty of theology is seeing just how limited we truly are as humans.

From Martin Luther's 1524 treatise "To the Councilmen of All Cities in Germany That They Establish and Maintain Christian Schools":
And let us be sure of this: we shall not long preserve the Gospel without the languages. The languages are the sheath in which this sword of the Spirit is contained; they are the casket in which we carry this jewel; they are the vessel in which we hold this wine; they are the larder in which this food is stored; and as the Gospel itself says, they are the baskets in which we bear these loaves and fishes and fragments. If through our neglect we let the languages go (which may God forbid!), we shall ... lose the Gospel
There is a great difference, therefore, between a simple preacher of the faith and an expositor of Scripture, or as St. Paul puts it, a prophet. A simple preacher, to be sure, is in possession of so many clear passages and texts from translations that he can know and teach Christ, lead a holy life and preach to others. But to interpret Scripture, to treat it independently, and to dispute with those who cite it incorrectly, to that he is unequal; that cannot be done without languages. Yet there must always be such prophets in the Church, who are able to treat and expound the Scriptures and also to dispute; a saintly life and correct doctrine are not enough. Hence languages are absolutely necessary in the Church, just as prophets or expositors are necessary, although not every Christian or preacher need be such a prophet, as St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 12 and Ephesians 4.

I like that. There seems to be a misunderstanding that preachers are, by default, an expositor. Not so. Preachers are assumed to be teachers. Not so.

The pastor of my church back home is a great preacher. Ministers to all sorts, every day, everybody, just by being himself. It's completely effortless. His day-job is working at an old-folks home and ministers to those on their "way out". Ministers to the homeless around town. Great guy, soft-hearted, compassionate. He totally gets the Big Picture of Christ's Love and Salvation. When it comes to the details... not so much. He sometimes gets his words mixed up, grammar in disrepair, etc. That's not a good teacher.

Martin Luther is about as unassailable a source as there is outside of scripture. If he thinks its important I think its important.

Totally agree that languages (Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic) should be studies intently. On this, or any other aspect of your post, I cannot disagree. In fact, I hope it doesn't seem like I am arguing with it. I just feel like a caution is in order for those who feel like it will get them mystically closer to the essence of the Almighty. I caution other believers in just how deep they should venture into the Messianic movement as a way of somehow getting "better" at being a true disciple of Christ. Balance is abeautiful thing.

I am reminded of Paul in II Corinthians 12
"How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words"

At some point, the mystery of GOD surpasses human ability to express it in any language. We know what He wants us to know.

We need to always remember that we can be a true disciple of Christ today, with our current knowledge, by simply following him to the best of that knowledge.
Seeking more knowledge is also a very good pursuit, and something we should certainly strive to do. But it is secondary. And we do need to get the balance right.

Usually we already know a whole host of things that we should be doing and aren't doing yet. It is tempting to seek more head-knowledge as a holy-feeling way of procrastinating from actually doing what he's already telling us to do.

The more I study the Bible, the more I realize there is a considerable amount of value in better understanding the original languages, particularly idioms. The New Testament is interesting because whether it was written in Greek or Aramaic or both (I tend to lean toward believing the original language was mostly Aramaic with some Greek), there was no doubt about the Aramaic influences on the idioms used in scripture. Though I try to steer clear of any book that claims to hold a "key" to understanding the Bible, I would recommend George Lamsa's "Idioms in the Bible Explained and a Key to the Original Gospel." I think Lamsa's understand of Aramaic is invaluable in understanding some of the idioms we wouldn't get otherwise. This pdf: "Semitic Idioms in the New Testament, Suggest Peshitta Primacy – Part 1" is a good introduction to some Aramaic Idioms, though realize the authors are using this to support an Aramaic primacy. Like I said earlier, I tend to lean this way, but even if someone doesn't, the influence of the idioms of a highly spoken language of the time is important to understand. Paul Younan, a part author of the pdf, if one of the better modern references to Aramaic, and his opinions are highly trusted by many.

Another book I really enjoyed some time back is "Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes: Removing Cultural Blingers to Better Understanding the Bible by E. Randolph Richards and Brandon J. O'Brien. Though I cannot recall if the book referenced polygyny at all, it is one of the books that reinforced the importance of understanding that framing the Bible in my cultural biases is not the way to read scripture. My life should be molded to God's ideal not God's ideal molded to my life. It helped me to step out of the highly Americanized gospel to see that those reading the original scriptures would have read some of it very differently than we do with our cultural biases.

We need to always remember that we can be a true disciple of Christ today, with our current knowledge, by simply following him to the best of that knowledge.
Seeking more knowledge is also a very good pursuit, and something we should certainly strive to do. But it is secondary. And we do need to get the balance right.

Usually we already know a whole host of things that we should be doing and aren't doing yet. It is tempting to seek more head-knowledge as a holy-feeling way of procrastinating from actually doing what he's already telling us to do.

Booyah!

Back