• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Can Overprotective mothers hurt boys?

sun

Male
Can overprotective mothers stunt the development of masculinity in boys? I am curious as to how this relates to men being able to relate to women. I think it does hurt boys. For example, my mother was very domineering and overbearing an I struggled with self confidence and being masculine. I think overbearing mothers raise sons who will not be able to lead. Why do women do this?

Is it true that women hate mama's boys?

As for as this relates to polygamy, men that are not able to lead women are not good marriage material since they would lack confidence. I think society overall is hurt by having men that are wimpy and not masculine.

http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/overprotecting-mothers-1490.html

http://oureverydaylife.com/side-effects-overprotective-parenting-8170.html

http://www.africanamerica.org/topic/ways-single-mothers-destroy-their-sons

http://www.littleheroes.com/blog-overprotective-parents-may-raise-underprepared-children/

Well you are very correct on both fronts and I really don't know what the solution is. I don't think MGTOW is the way to go but going along with the system is not an option either. Young men are going to have to solve this for themselves to a certain extent. Waiting for women to change the situation for us is just perpetuating the whole thing.

I don't think MGTOW is the way to go but
It's not the long term solution, no; however, for many it's the first step. Even for Christian men who have been reared in a predominately feminist home, one must unplug from their current situation before they can plug into something else.

I think a mother can certainly harm a son, she can harm a daughter also. But it's not permanent.
Example: I grew up in an atheist home. Polygyny was very much not the way to do things. Those that did were in cults. It was cheating, basically. Then I became a Christian and the church taught me the same thing, but stronger, because now it wasn't just my values in life it was what the bible said *rolls eyes*.
Now, I'm quite happy to welcome a second wife into our family. I actually want it, I have a passion for it.
Our upbringing does not have to determine our future. We can stop what we are doing at any moment and start learning anew. With YHWH's help it's amazing how far we can come, and how quickly. But like NewWatchR said, you have to unplug from what you've known first, before you can plug into the new life that YHWH has planned for you.

Now that I think about it, young men don't have to solve this for themselves. That was a lazy answer.

They have scripture to look to and they can seek out older men to be mentored by. Look around Sonny, I'm sure there are some men around you admire and who would be glad to go to lunch with you and give you their wisdom. Just look for men who are at least 20 years older than you and who you wouldn't mind being like.

Yes, but so can overprotective fathers.

Stop looking back and go do something He-MANish. The women hating club is for little rascals. Especially when it's your mom

As a man thinketh in his heart . . .

I do not hate women and why did you imply that I do? Moreover, I especially do not hate my own mother; why would you write such a thing without knowing me? I just wanted to post a topic that would generate discussion about the prevalence of single motherhood in America and its effect on the development of boys. There has been an attack on the family unit and masculinity in America by far left Feminists and others who are hostile to traditional biblical values. I believe the undermining of healthy masculinity in boys has help to contribute to the cultural decay here in America. I do not think that most mothers who are overbearing do it on purpose. Feminism I believe is evil and is toxic to any culture. While I don't agree with all what this article is saying, the author brings up some valid points:

http://www.returnofkings.com/115428/how-girl-power-is-ruining-the-culture

That was simply a reference to the show the Little Rascals. They had a club named the HeMan, Woman hating club.

Whether it's true or not, it seemed to me that the original post in the thread had several Freudian slips. While I agree that there has become a cultural bias toward Girl Power, I believe it is more effective to tell young men to man up and do it like this (positive training) than to denounce all the ways and reasons that women have done and are currently doing it wrong (negative steering?).

At any rate, it really makes no difference to me whether you hate your mother or not. That's on your shoulders or not. At the risk of sounding insensitive, IMO, the thread and premise was boring before I posted and hasn't gotten better since.

On a side note, @FollowingHim, I appreciate the moderating above. If this current post needs additional moderation, please feel free. While I realize that these last two posts of mine are sadly lacking in grace, I'm afraid I have an aversion to whining even if it's in the spirit of stimulating conversation.

He didn't state that you hate your mother. He was warning you against the extremes of MGTOW, a philosophy that could take you there if followed too far.

FollowingHim Thank You very much. I don't follow the philosophy of MGTOW. That is the way his response came across to me.

That was simply a reference to the show the Little Rascals. They had a club named the HeMan, Woman hating club.

Whether it's true or not, it seemed to me that the original post in the thread had several Freudian slips. While I agree that there has become a cultural bias toward Girl Power, I believe it is more effective to tell young men to man up and do it like this (positive training) than to denounce all the ways and reasons that women have done and are currently doing it wrong (negative steering?).

At any rate, it really makes no difference to me whether you hate your mother or not. That's on your shoulders or not. At the risk of sounding insensitive, IMO, the thread and premise was boring before I posted and hasn't gotten better since.

On a side note, @FollowingHim, I appreciate the moderating above. If this current post needs additional moderation, please feel free. While I realize that these last two posts of mine are sadly lacking in grace, I'm afraid I have an aversion to whining even if it's in the spirit of stimulating conversation.

I just wanted to stimulate conversation about mothers overprotecting their sons. I got the idea by reading an article about that topic and wanted to get insights from this forum. I believe I should have phrased the original post differently or had a post about the negatives effects of Feminism on Society. I have done positive training to improve my confidence since I joined this forum. I do not think the thread or premise is boring in that it offers an important insight into the mother-son relationship and how this relates to society and the relationship between a man and a woman.

@Verifyveritas76, if a topic is boring to you, then please ignore it, and leave space for other people who find it interesting to post constructive feedback instead. My 8-year-old is constantly telling me he's bored and I just tell him to shut up and let his siblings talk instead.

Can overprotective mothers stunt the development of masculinity in boys?
IMHO it is not the overprotective mothers that cause issues (that is their nature), it is rather the lack of a father's presence which does not bring the over influence of a mother back into a healthy balance. This of course is at the fundamental level without getting into all the other issues (e.g, bad fatherly influence, etc) that can and does happen with life.
Our upbringing does not have to determine our future. We can stop what we are doing at any moment and start learning anew. With YHWH's help it's amazing how far we can come, and how quickly.
Amen

@Verifyveritas76 , not knowing exactly where @sun heralds from or his age, Little Rascals can be a pretty vague reference. And that's despite the 1996 remake.

@sun , i really don't think much offense was meant. here's a clip from the 1937 show that first mentions the club started by the Little Rascals. To keep it in context, it was in response to Valentine's Day and the boys weren't having none of it, at least at first.

Back