• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Males of a Strongly Polygynous Species Consume More Poisonous Food than Females

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Yes, this is a serious scientific paper. Quick summary:
  • The Great Bustard is a bird that is strongly polygynous
  • Females select their mates by inspecting their anuses for signs of worms
  • Males eat large quantities of poisonous beetles to kill worms, giving them clean anuses
  • More beetles = clean anus = more sex
Or in more scientific terms, here's the abstract:
We present evidence of a possible case of self-medication in a lekking bird, the great bustard Otis tarda. Great bustards consumed blister beetles (Meloidae), in spite of the fact that they contain cantharidin, a highly toxic compound that is lethal in moderate doses. In addition to anthelminthic properties, cantharidin was effective against gastrointestinal bacteria that cause sexually-transmitted diseases. Although both sexes consumed blister beetles during the mating season, only males selected them among all available insects, and ingested more and larger beetles than females. The male-biased consumption suggests that males could use cantharidin to reduce their parasite load and increase their sexual attractiveness. This plausibly explains the intense cloaca display males perform to approaching females, and the meticulous inspection females conduct of the male’s cloaca, a behaviour only observed in this and another similar species of the bustard family. A white, clean cloaca with no infection symptoms (e.g., diarrhoea) is an honest signal of both, resistance to cantharidin and absence of parasites, and represents a reliable indicator of the male quality to the extremely choosy females. Our results do not definitely prove, but certainly strongly suggest that cantharidin, obtained by consumption of blister beetles, acts in great bustards as an oral anti-microbial and pathogen-limiting compound, and that males ingest these poisonous insects to increase their mating success, pointing out that self-medication might have been overlooked as a sexually-selected mechanism enhancing male fitness.
Herein may be a lesson, but I am not sure what it is... :)

Last edited:
Where do you find this stuff?
I shall refrain from commenting further or my posts may get out of hand, there's just too many jokes to be made...

Clean anuses are good to have... regardless, especially in crowded subways!

Funny you mention that. Just today I was heading toward the subway and then I thought, oh geez, my anus isn't clean, I'd better self-medicate first but I don't see a place to get poisonous beetles.

And that's such a common experience — I mean, read that sentence to anyone without providing any context and they'll be, like, "Oh yeah, true that."

Too funny. Anyone know where a fellow can get some blister beetles for butt bacteria? I wonder why they're called 'blister' beetles.

The Like is strong with this thread.

And where DO you find this stuff? I mean, i'm not so sure i want to see your search history. :D

I found this while doing serious work, honestly! I am investigating ways to reduce environmental losses of nitrogen from agricultural soils, and was attempting to find any existing data on the quantity of N that could be removed from agricultural fields by bird predation on insects. I was trying to determine whether, if insect life is enhanced through biological management, more N might be removed as insect biomass and therefore be not available to be lost in drainage water. I found very little data, but this was one of the papers that came up.

Back