• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Where does one find info on "staying legal" in Oregon?

Asforme&myhouse

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
I know dealing with the legalities of PM vary from state to state. Are there any resources available for Oregon in particular?

As far as I am aware, the U.S. supreme court has already ruled that two or more consenting adults can live together. The worst state for a man with more then one woman is Utah, because of the history of Mormon polygamy, and the anti cohabitation laws which, though challenged, have not been changed.

The judge that first ruled in favor of Cody Brown's family was correct in interpreting "marry, or purports to marry" in a narrow legal sense (as in more then one legal/licensed union) as the state only has jurisdiction over what it creates, and those unions/contracts it is a part of, but since when has any power, that denies the source of ALL power and authority ever respected the limits that authority put in place?
People who do not believe in God usually act like they ARE God.....when the power to rule over their fellow man is within their grasp.
There is a difference between legal and lawful, between celibacy and chastity, and between power and authority, and it is NOT just semantics.
There is no law in most states against living with people you love, married or not. So it cannot be illegal.
I realize his isn't any real help with the legal particulars in Oregon, I hope someone here can clarify those for you.

Good question. Would love to see BF be more of a resource for these kinds of questions.
There is a section for it in the intro page, so the intention is/was there. But it still says Coming Soon and the States listed are blank......

Hey, guys. I've been swamped lately (like since the first of the year...), but we definitely want to provide this kind of information on the website. And at this point the most likely way to gather that information is crowdsourcing, so if you find information on Oregon (or any other state for that matter), forward it to andrew at biblical families dot org and I'll get it up on the site. In late May I should have a window of opportunity to take care of Texas, which I should be able to do more or less off the top of my head (with a little checking just to make sure nothing's changed recently), and that will give you an example. In the meantime, we're looking for information on not just the criminalization of bigamy (illegal in all 50 states, unless you want to be the test case for new constitutional law), but the criminalization of adultery, cohabitation, fornication, and even conspiracy and aiding and abetting laws).

Example: I've been told recently that in SC you don't have to prove intercourse to charge someone with adultery—it is sufficient that there be some kind of time together and some kind of relationship outside of your marriage relationship. Obviously I'm going to follow up on that and figure out what's going on (at some point...), but if there's something to that then that would be good to know, right? (Practical note: Are they really going to prosecute you? Probably not. Do you want to be a test case? Probably not. Be smart and avoid simple, preventable problems.)

So AFM&MH, if you put together some intel on this, please share it with us and I'll be sure it gets on the website. Meanwhile, we'll build up that section of the website one state at a time as more people get involved with the project.

So, what you're saying is, stop waiting for someone else to do it and get involved.

Well, THAT'S just silly!

;):p:D

Well, I was trying to be more subtle, but yeah.... :D

Samuel did the NZ one, and that was a whole country, not just a state :D . So, if any of you want to move here you now know what the rules are.

Bah! We have towns the size of some countries.

I saw that write-up on NZ. Very well done.

Too big, too big I say! That's why NZ is so much better and you all should move here ;) . I always laugh at the whole 'I'm an American who grew up in a small town', because I can guarantee what they think is small is not remotely small. The area we live in is so small that it doesn't even have a shop or a pub (all small towns in NZ have a pub...). It does have a town hall though! I don't know if this is encouraging anyone to visit or not ha ha!

Just avoid jurisdiction words like wife and don't flaunt it I guess? Also, don't get beastie's license. Reduce beastie entanglement, if possible.

Back