• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Any braless supporters out there?

torahlovesalvation

Real Person
I have had words such as health nut, organic (personality and food), natural, woodsman, bushman, mountainman, back to basics, ect. ect. ect. Used to describe me. So it should be no surprise that upon hearing an argument on the health risks/ issues of wearing a bra, it has been chewed on and pondered for many years now.

Bras only came on the seen the beginning of the last century. Pre dated by corsets. But for the majority of women, for most of history, the tata's were free to move, and live, and have there being. :)

So am I the only one leaning anti bra?
Please share if you see the natural way better.

(I know the whole nipple thing is an issue here. But I'm really talking for the sake of health/ natural/ created. Clothing alterations, camisole,bandeau, backless, bralette, silicone cups, etc. aside.)

"braless supporters" - is that a pun? :p

I figure it's up to the ladies to figure it out. No opinion.

Hmmmm..........

Anywho, I have been told its not great to keep the girls locked in all the time. I don't know how true this is or or not though. Since having my mini me, I try to keep the girls but away. My son was nursed until he was a little over 2 yrs. Now its pretty problematic. Its his comfort. So if he sees them free he is head first or hands down the shirt to sleep. Doesn't have to be me any female.
So if I look at family members, unless they're going to work. Their girls are free.

I guess one world have to check into it or speak to their doctor.

No opinion.
Really? You have no opinion? Are you trying to tell me... that you... are the only man in the world... who has no opinion... whatsoever... on the risks of excessive bra useage? o_O You are really gonna sit there... and tell me... a fellow man... that you haven't been curious to bother to research such a subject? o_O Are you... buddy... pal... gonna lie to my face... and say you've never even been curious? o_O

Meh, I suppose it's possible. Well I have read up on it. Because I care. Because this is an important topic for me. Well, you know, i skimmed the articles anyway.

The primary issue that seems to have any negative cause was women wearing the incorrect size. Between 70 - 80% of women wear the wrong size and most of those wear them too small, for various reasons, both intentional and unintentional. With the cup sizes too small, it is said to causes issues with the circulatory system in the breasts and possible blockage of lymph nodes. Incorrect band sizing can cause long term scarring from the underwire, pain in neck, back and ribs and headaches. Some research has shown that incorrect bra sizes can also cause digestive issues like heartburn. Suggestions on getting properly fitted range from every 6 months to at least once per year.
the more you know.jpg

First thought: Oh this post is definitely written by a man.
Second thought: Yip, knew it.
Third thought: Men don't breastfeed.
Fourth thought: Try going around with boobs the size of houses full of milk for years on end and then we'll chat.

Would you like to try period products next? :D

Seriously though, Samuel and I disagree on this, I believe he has an agenda other than health for me going braless. :rolleyes:
But just the fact that women didn't always do that is not an argument for me. We didn't always have antibiotics either and I'm quite happy with them. I don't see that wearing them only during the day (who on earth would wear one to bed?) can do that much damage. If you're worried about breast cancer, then there's plenty of other things that add to the risk factor of that much more than wearing a bra. Deodorants, hormonal contraceptives etc.

Random thought: Is it just the underwire that's a problem? Because I haven't worn a bra with a wire since I got pregnant with my first as it's bad for you when breastfeeding. Definitely wire free options out there.

Just saw NetwatchR's post, and agree with the wrong size being a problem. The wrong size gives me major back pain. You have to be fitted properly.

Really? You have no opinion? Are you trying to tell me... that you... are the only man in the world... who has no opinion... whatsoever... on the risks of excessive bra useage? o_O You are really gonna sit there... and tell me... a fellow man... that you haven't been curious to bother to research such a subject? o_O Are you... buddy... pal... gonna lie to my face... and say you've never even been curious? o_O

Meh, I suppose it's possible. Well I have read up on it. Because I care. Because this is an important topic for me. Well, you know, i skimmed the articles anyway.

The primary issue that seems to have any negative cause was women wearing the incorrect size. Between 70 - 80% of women wear the wrong size and most of those wear them too small, for various reasons, both intentional and unintentional. With the cup sizes too small, it is said to causes issues with the circulatory system in the breasts and possible blockage of lymph nodes. Incorrect band sizing can cause long term scarring from the underwire, pain in neck, back and ribs and headaches. Some research has shown that incorrect bra sizes can also cause digestive issues like heartburn. Suggestions on getting properly fitted range from every 6 months to at least once per year.
View attachment 295
Sir, you have shamed me into a more adequate response than my initial flippant and careless post provided. I say, with all the volume and force that written text can express: FREE THE TATAS!!

My limited research, that pales in comparison to your tour de force, indicates that freedom is healthier for the blood and lymph flow. Yet I find myself surrounded by women who prefer confinement and restriction in public specifically and during daytime hours generally, and I consider it their prerogative to make that decision for themselves. A reasonable compromise has been found in insisting that no bras be worn during sleep, which is what they would choose anyway. (I get to lead them where they were already going, and the only real rub is that I insist that being exhausted and wanting to just fall into bed is no excuse for not shimmying out of one's bra, so off it goes.)

From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate your care and concern for the women of Biblical Families (and all women everywhere, really), and your willingness to 'take one for the team' researching this important and timely topic.

Next up: The health benefits of sleeping naked.

giggidy

@FollowingHim2 underwire bras are the evil of the evil. Besides having your twins pushed up so high and hurting your back. That under wire is dangerous because if the bra is cheaply made or the bra gets worn out. The wire can pierce ones side. I know here they try to put something on the edges of the metal.

I second FH2's sentiments regarding the challenges that nursing without bras would present. Frequent milk baths/showers may not be unhealthy, but they can be anything but convenient, and milk let down is involuntary. You might think if it as an incontinent chest. Lol

Sleeping in bras is not something that we approve of, and our older daughter knows that hindered circulation is a primary concern.

Given the wide range of differences in women's breasts, I do think it is a personal matter, and I doubt using a properly fitted bra is as unhealthy as a multitude of other things, some of them already mentioned.

I had a Mormon uncle once complain when we were out horseback about the lack of support provided by Mormon garments, and say that the Native American's breechcloths were designed to provide protection and support. With 'tatas' coming in all shapes and sizes, from a few ounces to a few pounds, and with nipples that can range from inverted to prominent, I can think of plenty of reasons, from support for athletic functions, to discretion, for wearing bras. That said, I definitely think it is good to be aware of the issues that excessive use, or improper fit, may cause.

I thought bras were like a symbol of the patriarchy or something? Isn't that why they were burning them like a million years ago or something?

I think I only care that they provide whatever-the-heck comfort or support that they are supposed to. If that is even the point. I think I just take bras for granted. Like, yeah I'm gonna wear men's underwear and my wife is gonna wear women's. I assume they serve some purpose.

As far as whether they are presented in their most pleasing, lifted and squeezed form to me, I have only miles of shrugs. Daddy's gonna get paid no matter what, no worries. Then again I was really slow on the whole lingerie idea too.

Rainy has had ill fitting stuff before that caused her serious discomfort, which I'm pretty opposed to. The hedonist garden that I call "my address" doesn't support (huehuhuehheheu) uncomfortable clothing.

Personally it is best for me if married women keep their breasts as far from my awareness as possible. Do what you want with them but if they belong to another man please don't let me know about it.
Yeah, I think this just hasn't registered for me so much until now because my ladies choose discretion over wild abandon anyway. Seems to me the health issues can be addressed through proper fit and going free at night or maybe around the house....

Yeah, I think this just hasn't registered for me so much until now because my ladies choose discretion over wild abandon anyway. Seems to me the health issues can be addressed through proper fit and going free at night or maybe around the house....

You are most definitely right.
Unfortunately, we live in a society that individuals lack respect for themselves and others.
Females sometimes wear clothing that is very inappropriate and disrespectful to their husband. Instead of a husband saying something. He supports his wife's choice to off her goods to everyone. Then gets upset if another guy says something to his wife.

If you place an ad, someone will answer and it may not be who you want........

I'm all for freeing the TaTa's. Sometimes though it's best to err on the side of discretion when in public or even in the home if you have teenage young men in it. That being said, I greatly appreciate them both ways but hope for discretion from married women who aren't mine.

And . . . I enthusiastically recommend supporting braless TaTa's! Not sure whether to say, Sign me up! Or Hold me back! Hold me back!

I choose braless when I go to bed. It's just easier, and it's a lot more comfortable.

In public, I always always always wear a bra for the sake of modesty. For me, whether I'm wearing a tank top or a baggy t-shirt, you're gonna know what's going on. :p So I choose to be safe. But hey, there's always the wireless bra if you want something comfortable and not too restrictive!

What a coincidence. I was just reading a takedown of goop.com (Paltrow's quackery site, which among other nonsense promotes the idea that bras cause cancer) and came upon this (sciencebasedmedicine.org).

As for the other question, what I observe is some women will dress for comfort, some for effect, occasionally they will dress to please the men in their lives, but mostly they dress in response to social pressure from other women. The "healthfulness" of what they wear doesn't seem to be a big consideration, aside from how much sunscreen might be required. Case in point, women's shoes.

Even though this conversation offends my sensibilities (I highly doubt it would ever happen IRL), I'll succumb to the peer pressure and toss in my 2 cents.

If you're worried about breast health for you or your wives, (and in addition to healthy diet and exercise) starting early, throw off control of your fertility, have as many babies as possible, and make sure they are nursed fully.

Back