• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Child training ftw

"A craftsman is only as good as his tools."
(A bunch of cheap, dull tools hinder the job.)
Choose good tools and learn to put (and keep) a fine edge on them.

;)

"A craftsman is only as good as his tools."
(A bunch of cheap, dull tools hinder the job.)
Choose good tools and learn to put (and keep) a fine edge on them.

;)
Amen, and amen

Duly noted! As my husband would agree with you on this! I only meant 'simple' as its 4 little letters, not so much as the meaning of the word itself....as it carries significant meaning to men of all ages.
I was just teasing. I don't know what happen with my previous post I put a happy face and it didn't take it. Like my says, "Men can talk about tools for hours. Women can do the same thing with feelings." :D:D

Are you saying men manipulate things and women manipulate... men OH, I mean children :p
The best tool I found in manipulating children's behavior is candy. Actually not really manipulation so much as a reward, I use tools to reward good behavior... it encourages them to help keep my sanity. Just saying tools often side track men and kids. This thread has me laughing. You guys are great:)

Polytoolamy...can I copyright that?

If a gun weren't a tool, would we have Polygunamy?

I can really get distracted over any kind of boom stick much easier than over tools. Don't get me wrong, I love what my tools can do for me, but I have come to the point where I have had so much interaction with them over the years on a daily basis that while I appreciate them, they are no longer fun. Boom sticks on the other hand . . . . .!

Remember. Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Speaking of boom sticks . . . . We had been recently married, my sister and niece and nephew lived with us for a while. At the time, I didnt have a safe and I had multiple firearms. I didnt want them to be afraid of them, but I wanted to provide boundaries for their interaction with them.

So . . . . Operating on the perspective that for a young child, curiosity and ignorance are a dangerous mixture, one day I laid out several long guns and a few pistols on the bed and brought my 4 year old niece and 3 year old nephew into the room. As their eyes turned into saucers and my nephew started drooling, I started laying out some ground rules.

1. They could see and hold a gun any time they wanted, but they had to come get me (or one of their uncles) to do so.
  2. Anytime they asked, I would stop whatever I was doing and we'd go get out a gun and let them hold it for as long as they wanted to.
  3. Safety rules must be followed at all times. Finger off the trigger, muzzle control, and under no circumstances was a firearm to be pointed at a person . . . . . Ever!
For the first two weeks, at least once a day, I would have to stop what I was doing and go hold guns with one or both of them. After that, it went to about twice a week for another couple of weeks and then to about once every couple of months or so. They became so familiar with the guns that they got over their curiosity without being put in a dangerous situation. They would play right past a firearm without giving it a second look.

Another thing that we did was to get him some toy pistols. However, he was not allowed to point even the toy weapons at a person, and he was expected to exercise muzzle control.

When our own children came along, we taught them along the same lines. The only incident we ever had was when a friend of my son came over and tried to convince him that they should go check out a gun without the adults there.
My 8 year old son refused and let us know and the issue was dealt with.

All of my children were taught safe firearms handling rules and techniques from a young age and were shooting as well. I would start them with 22's but within a short time they were shooting various weapons. At this point, 3 of them have taken big game, all of them are familiar with multiple types of firearms and enjoy range day. My youngest just turned 10 and my oldest is 17.

The reason I trained this way was that the main cause of firearms accidents with children usually involved a child sneaking to satisfy their curiosity and then because of a lack of knowledge, disaster happens. This way, I satisfied the curiosity, encouraged interest, taught safety and respect, and ended up with young responsible adults that love firearms the way that I do.

If a gun weren't a tool, would we have Polygunamy?

I can really get distracted over any kind of boom stick much easier than over tools. Don't get me wrong, I love what my tools can do for me, but I have come to the point where I have had so much interaction with them over the years on a daily basis that while I appreciate them, they are no longer fun. Boom sticks on the other hand . . . . .!
Had to read this twice. I thought you were talking about your wife no longer being fun....ha ha...just kidding!

No chance of that! Is there ever enough "interaction" with a wife?
Nope. NEVER ENOUGH !! But I'm thankful for what I can drag out of my husband's busy life.:p Guess I'd get 'more time' if I went hunting with him....I'm not a quiet sitter, I don't climb trees and he goes when it's cold out. ..so I stay home. But fishing, that's another story, -unless it's cold, raining, the waters to low or to high... just kidding. :)

Back