• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Head coverings

rustysdove11

Real Person
Female
Hello ladies! I watched windblown's YouTube video on head covering (which I loved)... anyways, I though I'd post a video that was my turning point for wearing a covering. Mind you, I've only been covering for a couple of months... but it felt spiritually different when I started to pray covered. And I loved what windblown said about wearing it often because we are to "pray without ceasing". :) I've been meaning to post this video for a while but I usually chicken out when it comes to posting on here. Lol

The guy in the video is really annoying, I'm not sure if it's his hair or the way he talks (it's terrible of me to say but it's true) I had hard time watching it. HOWEVER, he makes the best argument I've ever heard so he's worth watching at least once.

Rustysdove!!! I am honored you watched my video, and even more stoked that you are covering!! I would love to hear more about your experiences so far!

Jeremy Gardiner and the headcoveringmovement.com was where I started reading about the practice too. I was greatly impressed by all of the different testimonies. I also got a lot of this guy:

I was raised in the Pentecostal church, so praying out loud (and fervently!) was the norm for me. After falling away in young adulthood and then coming back to God through my husband, I did not want to be "fake" in prayer (as I had frequently felt most public prayer to be at least slightly staged). I really struggled with prayer, even in front of my children. Covering has definitely been a huge change in this area for me. It marks the event. For a while in my personal prayer, I would cover similarly as the lady in the above video's thumbnail and would feel a physical "coming in to the holy of holies" when I put my scarf over my head. It added much more meaning and reverence to the act of prayer for me.

My husband is a huge supporter of the practice which made it all the more easy for me to accept. I did have quite a bit of doubt and questioning (rebelling?) at first. I decided that it was a simple request that I could obey easily. If it turns out that I got it wrong in the long run, then what have I really lost? Odd looks from strangers? The awkwardness of readjusting finicky scarves? I think that the benefits sure do outweigh the costs. :)

A lot of people want to make it out to be "legalism." What they don't understand is the definition of legalism to begin with! Legalism is believing you can be saved through works. We know the only way to be saved is through belief in Jesus. Now sanctification, that is what we're wanting to talk about! :D Salvation is just the beginning of the journey...the engagement! I want to show up to that marriage supper sanctified and washed in the word.

Praising God for your obedience to His Word, Sister! May He richly bless you, your husband, and sweet babies. ~Moriah

The ending to your post almost made me cry, thank you :) I really enjoyed that sermon too, I loved how he talked about it not being cultural... that's the argument I hear the most aside from the "Paul's talking about a woman's hair". My experience has pretty mixed, I grew up messianic but none of the women in my congregation cover. I'm a lot like you and I don't want to be fake in my worship. I've always been envious of the people who can just cut loose when at church. I usually feel self concious more than anything, covering attracts attention which is not something I enjoy. My hubby is the one who first asked me to look into covering. I really didn't want to do it, but once you start researching it the answers are pretty clear. It makes me wonder why so many of us women have a natural tendency to rebel against this one? Even women I know who are submissive to their husbands have the same initial reaction of, "oh no you didn't!"
But also just like you, it changed how my prayers felt (I cried the first time I covered when praying). :)

It's actually really cool, but when I first started covering I was terrified to do it at our congregation because I knew I'd be the only one. That Saturday there was a couple who were visiting our congregation and the wife had her head covered with one of the really fancy tichel ties! I was able to sit with her after service and she talked to me for a long time about how she overcame her feelings of self consciousness and how covering had blessed her life. God gave me exactly what I needed in that moment!

Have you ever heard of wrapunzle? They have a lot of tutorials on YouTube for how to tie tichels, there's also several videos about why we should cover and other encouraging things... Rivka is my favorite. I don't agree with everything they say and I definitely don't go as fancy as they do. But I did find them fun, and my daughter fell in love with their tutorials.

@windblown... you should know that a lot of your YouTube videos have helped encourage me in a lot of different areas. Thank you :)

Me and my daughter started to wear head covers when my husband started looking back at his Romani roots. So for us it started off as a cultural thing. I started looking at why they covered their hair was always long and covered in public. I still struggle with keeping it completely covered. When I learned its because we are to "pray without ceasing" it made more sense than what I was being told by others. It made it easier for me. Now it makes me feel weird not to wear one. I started wearing a tube style head covering thinking i would avoid strange looks. I still got them. Here is where it has been a blessing for me. I never have had the confidence to walk up to anyone and talk about God. Now people walk up to me ask me about why I always have a head covering on and I get to talk about God.

covering attracts attention which is not something I enjoy
This feeling will hopefully fade, I think. I felt completely conspicuous when I first started, especially around people that I knew. But now I would feel totally conspicuous without it, lol. It just takes time.
It makes me wonder why so many of us women have a natural tendency to rebel against this one?
This, for me, is a good evidence that is pretty darn important. :) Not sure if you do much with Facebook but...when I started to cover more full time is when I found the Facebook group "Headcovering Christian Women." They were a great encouragement to me.
That Saturday there was a couple who were visiting our congregation and the wife had her head covered
Great testimony of His love :)
I have watched Wrapunzel vids. I really like the tichel look...although I'm not sure if I feel as authentic wearing one. I'm a bit more of a simple girl. :) I do like to wear one every now and then. They do feel more "regal." :D
you should know that a lot of your YouTube videos have helped encourage me in a lot of different areas
Now I'm a little teary-eyed! We need support of like-minded women as they are so few and far between. Send me PM anytime if you ever want to chat. :)

Now people walk up to me ask me about why I always have a head covering on and I get to talk about God.
That's great! I've only had one random person ask me about it.

Oh, one more story...
When I told my mom that I was covering now per 1 Cor 11, she told me.... As a brand new Christian in a prayer meeting one time, she felt strongly led to cover her head with her hands. She asked her pastor/mentor, a very respectable older minister, about it afterward. He told her "some convictions we keep to ourselves." She then decided it was the devil trying to confuse her and never had a second thought about it again. o_O

Spam me with links.. I’m intrigued! I YouTubed some ways to wraps yesterday, but I’m not fully on board for covering all the time. But would love tips or to know what it practically looks like in everyday life.

@WifeOfHisYouth, the command is to cover when praying or prophesying. I started covering all the time because I pray often throughout the day, it's just not practical for me to stop doing the dishes go grab a scarf and then go back to the dishes so I can pray while I work.... that was the beginning for me, after that the more I covered the more I felt led to so even when not praying. After that my husband asked me to do it full time so it sealed the deal. Lol.

@windblown, haha, I agree that many of tichel wraps are overkill.... but I'm Jewish so I guess it makes me feel a little closer to my heritage? I usually only wear one of those if I'm trying to look pretty for my hubby... my everyday covers are simple bandannas or plain scarfs. I think it would be to hard to do house keeping in anything else. Lol :D

Did your moms pastor really say that? :confused: Isn't it kind of his job to have people tell him the things they feel led to do? Lol. Does your mom support your covering now? I'm trying to convince my family that it's biblical, we'll see how that goes. The idea of covering is kind of a touchy subject for a couple of them.

I actually got off of Facebook, I couldn't take the drama anymore. I've thought about starting a Facebook under a nickname and only inviting the people I want to talk to.... I don't know.

My mom, like all our family probably, just thinks we're weird and have warped theology. Although she'd probably never say that.
Yeah, Facebook is evil. Lol.

WOHY, I tried just about every style starting with a very pretty (but expensive) lace one from here garlandsofgrace.com. Now I just wear a simple square scarf (thrift store finds and some that I have are actually dinner napkins :D) folded into a triangle like a kerchief or bandana-style. The game changer for me was a non-slip velvet headband (like $5 on amazon) for under scarves so I don't have to fool with bobby pins and clips anymore. And it keeps the scarf from sliding. Here's my video ;)

I'm so excited! I sent the women of my family the video that windblown posted and it's started quite the debate. I had an amazing conversation with mom today about covering and I feel like she might start doing it with me!

@Sonshine, it never crossed my mind either. I don't know how many times I read that passage without ever blinking an eye. Lol. I never thought about why the Amish/Mennonites wore the little bonnets. I never realized the basis for the church (think easter) hat ladies or why men remove their hats during prayer. We were just in our (mainstream) church small group on Wed. night with a guy wearing a hat. It tickled me to see him remove it for prayer just thinking... If only both halves of the scripture were being followed, how different that would look... man removing, women covering. ;)

Hello all. I have been reading this forum for a while now, joined just recently and feel moved to comment on this thread because, I want to thank you ladies. I have never really thought about head coverings either. I have been doing some reading, research and prayer regarding head coverings and have even taken the last week to be vigilant in wearing one daily.my thoughts were try it out, see how you feel, and then make a decision. I have to say I do notice when I’m not wearing one now and reach for it as soon as I wake. I have been known to cuss like a sailor and wearing the cover has brought that down to none. Even had someone comment on that. It has reminded me to stay patient with my children, and, I have noticed that I am praying more often now also. So over all a huge plus for me. I live in a very LDS populated community and have only had a few comments on “rocking the bandana” around town. I am very greatful that it hasn’t been a huge thing. At the end of it all I would definitely recommend anyone wondering about it to commit for a week and see how they feel. Thank you ladies again for showing me a different view and path.

Awesome, Littles! Have you stuck with it?

We just got back from the Southeastern retreat, and I was so blessed to see all the "symbols" on ladies' heads (whether intentional or not).:D

Still at it 4 months later! And I don’t see myself going back anytime soon. It has been a constant reminder of prayer for me. I have gotten more and more comments on how feminine it looks, how different and yet so beautiful. I have had numerous conversations with friends about what it means to me. It has really been great to connect with others over something like this. My kids and their friends comment that its weird to see me without one, and, they all enjoy picking out one for me when I get dressed in the morning or a nicer one when we are planning on going out. It’s just part of me now and I love them!

This is an awesome subject. I began wearing head wraps when I was a teen age 14. I attended the Assembly of God church and although a conservative doctrin, head covering was not part of the beliefs. So for me I would say it was a fashion statement. There was no way I was going to say I felt "different". I didnt even understand it i just knew i felt stronger, empoweed, scanctified and called to cover my head.
I succumbed to the pressure and stopped wearing them until I was in my 40's. I don't feel required to wear one daily but I do if I am preaching or teaching. For me I don't believe it is a command rather than a calling. My hair is also a part of what I believe is my covering. My hair has also been a spiritual journey. I have never really shared my views or the spiritual reasons for my hair or head covering. Thank you for bringing it up here.
If anyone is questioning it for themselves I would highly recommend doing it. It has been a great decision. IMG_20141004_094322~2.jpg

Back