• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What even would you do with another wife?

Enter my extreme suspicion for anyone claiming to be called into anything. I have dichotomous thinking here too. For me the two camps of people receiving a calling are "I literally heard a voice" and "I really want to do this", with not a lot of middle ground. What do you think?

On occasion some of us apparently have literally heard a voice, but few claim it to be a common experience. I am not sure if has ever happened to me.

Why is that I understand God's truth about polygamy and many others do not? I have to think it is not because I am smarter than everyone else. No, I think it is because God somehow wanted me to know the truth. I have been blessed by God to know this truth of his. It is a Holy Spirit thing. And then the next question is why does he bless some to know this truth? I think not to sit on it. No the blessing of truth is a calling to do something with it. If he provides you with a light and even commands you to let it shine that is a mission. That is an obligation.

Have you never listened to a sermon or sat in on a Bible study and heard someone teach something that was clearly wrong, or that they clearly did not understand what they were saying? As a Christian brother do you feel no obligation to clear that up? Or on a broader scale do you see the work on the enemy in deceiving God's flock? Do you feel no obligation to clear that up? Do you not see the damage caused by the lies that modern church believes? I find it hard to understand how that can not be a calling for any conscientious believer.

Love is not being nice and making sure everyone is comfortable. Sometimes it requires doing hard things and facing uncomfortable truths out of genuine concern.

"I really want to do this" - Actually for the most part I really don't want to do it. I hate being different. I wish I could just be fat, dumb and happy and go to church and believe what everyone else believes and not be different and just fit it. I hate that the church always have these marriage improvement seminars that I can not even sit in, because for the most part they have no idea what they are talking about, they miss the first thing about what Christian marriage means and why Christians should get married, etc. They are ruined for me. Actually I can hardly sit through any Bible study in a mainstream church.

Even here among Biblical Families I have differences. For example, I do not believe that one should marry a divorced woman. Ever. I do not think this is a consensus opinion. For me Matthew 5:32 is just so clear and without qualification. I do not know of anyway to get around it. It does not seem to allow for exceptions for legitimate divorce, or horrible beatings or anything. It is adultery because apparently God does not consider the divorce legit. Ever. I have difficulty even speculating how else this verse could be interpreted.

I would love to be wrong. Almost all of the "single" women my age are all divorced with living husbands. As far as I can tell all they are off limits to me, no different that if I wanted to marry a woman that is already married to someone else. If I am asked "what she she then do?" I would suggest that she go back and try to make things right with her husband. Thus God's teaching on divorce is another calling for me.

I was impressed with a certain lady at the most recent retreat in Georgia. She mentioned the horrible abuse that she had experienced by her husband. To my knowledge you stayed with him until he died, and now she is now very happily married to a very kind man. I was very impressed with her faithfulness to her undeserving ex-husband, to her calling as a Christian and as a wife, and for her simply doing what is right, despite having every reason not to. I was very impressed. A living martyr.

Basically I think you really underestimate the temptation of the blue pill. Taking the red pill is kind of a curse, especially if you are an average guy with no super powers, although in reality having the Holy Spirit is the best possible super power.

For Christians, I think we all have some shared callings. One is for God's truth as best we understand it. And to speak up about it and for it when we have the opportunity and see the need. For me, polygamy is just one of several truths that need to be spoken of in this day and age.

Even more fundamentally, as mentioned in the communion service at the retreat, that we all have the shared mission and fundamental calling to die to ourselves and to live for Christ and for him alone.

"I really want to do this" - Not for me. I mean I understand the excitement of another woman in your life. But I think God gives you that excitement and twitterpation to get you to do something that if you rationally considered you would really rather not do. It is the same reason God makes babies so cute. If they were not so cute no one would be parents. It is not a rational thing to do.

"I really want to do this" - Admittedly there are many in the polygamous community who are in it for selfish reasons. I believe those are for the most part the same ones who do not understand how difficult it is, who are not really called to it, and who are destined to fail.

Also, I've never been Womack'd before. It's a very surreal experience for me.

No doubt. It is like a slap in the face, but done with love.

Last edited:
PS....

I was struck by a thought as I was posting the above. Not once in the process of prophetic intercessory worship have I been tasked with bible study. I have been tasked with missions that drove me to deep bible study to figure out how I was going to do something, or why God did something a certain way, but bible study was never the what. I'm just noticing that for the first time. Hmmm....

Interesting observation. It is a tool to something else. Like you had a task that required you to check the manual.

Actually for the most part I really don't want to do it. I hate being different. I wish I could just be fat, dumb and happy and go to church and believe what everyone else believes and not be different and just fit it.
Everything you wrote above is great, but I want to piggyback on this one part to say this: A big issue here is self-awareness.

A fair amount of anything I've ever "heard from God" is stuff I'd just as soon not have heard, at least from the point of view of my self-absorbed flesh, but there's this sense that I just have to do the thing or deliver the message, not out of fear of punishment, but out of fear that someone (including myself) is going to miss out on a blessing if they don't respond appropriately to what God is communicating. And OTOH, I can tell when my flesh is trying to sprinkle holy water on some idea of mine that I'd really like to think (or have everyone else believe) is from God, but really, who am I kidding? "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" applies here....

But it wasn't always like that. I'm reminded of the scene where Samuel comes to understand God's calling on his life (see 1 Sam 3). Takes some getting used to.

Back to legalism and manliness: Legalism looks for the formula and seeks to be right, seeks to be justified in its own eyes. Outcomes then get rationalized after the fact according to who's supposed to get the blame or the glory. Manliness looks to the calling and the mission and is willing to take risks to achieve the victory, knowing that it's not guaranteed.

Being more intentional about hearing from God (in my experience and observation of the experiences of others) is going to include trial and error, lots of error. Like a kid learning to walk or ride a bike, you fall down a lot. But you know what you're trying to figure out, so you keep trying until you figure it out—bruises, scrapes, and all.

Same goes for marriage, as I think about it, and gets squared or cubed etc for plural marriage....

In my personal experience when I hear from G-d it's usally pointing out where I'm lacking or pointing out where I was wrong. Then being shown ways to submit and get back on the path HE has for me.

Last edited:
Back