• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

1 Corinthians 8:1-3

Pacman

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. [2] And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. [3] But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

What is "the same " referring to in vs 3?

This is the text that my son sent me yesterday. Any thoughts?

Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. [2] And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. [3] But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

What is "the same " referring to in vs 3?

This is the text that my son sent me yesterday. Any thoughts?
I believe it’s referring to the man who loves God.

That depends what the last "him" means. If "him" is God, then yes, @Asforme&myhouse could be correct. But then it would seem to be a random statement with little relevance to the verses before.

I think it's referring to charity. The man who loves God, charity is known of him (the man who loves God). So the man who loves God understands charity, and therefore knows how to deal with this issue from the perspective of charity, which edifies everybody rather than making the person think they know better than anybody else.

That depends what the last "him" means. If "him" is God, then yes, @Asforme&myhouse could be correct. But then it would seem to be a random statement with little relevance to the verses before.

I think it's referring to charity. The man who loves God, charity is known of him (the man who loves God). So the man who loves God understands charity, and therefore knows how to deal with this issue from the perspective of charity, which edifies everybody rather than making the person think they know better than anybody else.

The “Him” at the end of the verse is capitalized in a number of different versions. KJV doesn’t capitalize pronouns for God.

This was my thought as well. But @Asforme&myhouse makes a good point. Is the him referring to God or the man?

1 Corinthians 8:1-3 WEB
Now concerning things sacrificed to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. [2] But if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he doesn't yet know as he ought to know. [3] But if anyone loves God, the same is known by him.

WEB translation says "by him" instead of "of him" to me "of him" implies that others knew he loved God but "by him" speaks of the man's knowledge...

εἰ δέ τις ἀγαπᾷ τὸν
If however anyone loves (acusitive definitive article)

Θεόν, οὗτος ἔγνωσται ὑπ’ αὐτοῦ.
God, he is known by him.

Since God is the subject of the definitve article the He could be referencing God.

It could also be read taking in context of the verse 2 and that He is referencing God that

If anyone loves God, they know God.

So it could read something like this

[2] And if any man thinks that he knows any thing, he doesn't know what he should know. [3] But If anyone loves God, they know God.

Not saying this is The way to translate it but it is a grammatically correct way.

Edit: Also there is a difference between Grecco-Roman culture to know and Jewish culture to know. Grecco-Roman culture I've read about it or been told about so I know it. Jewish culture I've done/do it or experienced it so I know. So take from that what you will.

Last edited:
I checked it in the NET translation. Here’s what that translation says,

3 But if someone loves God, he is known by God.
I like the thought the only thing I have trouble with that translation is God knows us all. He created us. So He knows us regardless whether we love Him or not. That translation implies that you have to love God for Him to know us.

I like the thought the only thing I have trouble with that translation is God knows us all. He created us. So He knows us regardless whether we love Him or not. That translation implies that you have to love God for Him to know us.
I started using the NET after I heard Dr Luck mention that he was using it. I actually did what your not supposed to do. Went on his word about it without checking it out for myself. But, I like his teachings so I went with it. I do the same thing her at BF, some of the guys here really go in depth, it makes me think.

I checked it in the NET translation. Here’s what that translation says,

3 But if someone loves God, he is known by God.
This is identical to the Dutch translation in the Herziene Statenvertaling ("Maar als iemand God liefheeft, is hij door Hem gekend").

For me it refers more to a more intimate level of knowing somebody and be involved in somebodies life. I think God said this as well about Moses, can't remember by heart where although :).

For me it refers more to a more intimate level of knowing somebody and be involved in somebodies life. I think God said this as well about Moses, can't remember by heart where although :).
Numbers 12:6-8?

In physical relationships, "known" can be a euphemism for something deeper ("Adam knew his wife" etc).
This could be, in a spiritual sense, meaning that they are known by God in a much more intimate way than simply Him knowing they exist because He made them. So I don't really see a contradiction with His omniscience.

That translation implies that you have to love God for Him to know us.

My initial thought was that the implication you mentioned was an error of the inverse. "But if someone loves God, he is known by God" the inverse being "But if someone DOES NOT love God, he is NOT known by God". Or restated "To be know by God you must love Him".

As an example "Everytime it rains its cloudy" is true and "Everytime it DOES NOT rain it is NOT cloudy" is false. Or restated "To be couldy it must be raining" is again false.

The inverse is not always true.

However the inverse does seem to tie in with Matthew 7. “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’" (Matt. 7:21-23, ESV)

So is there any consensus here? It seems to say that the “same” is referring to the love he has for God and the “him” is actually referring to God. Agreed? Or am I missing something?

In physical relationships, "known" can be a euphemism for something deeper ("Adam knew his wife" etc).
This could be, in a spiritual sense, meaning that they are known by God in a much more intimate way than simply Him knowing they exist because He made them. So I don't really see a contradiction with His omniscience.

I always thought that verses like Luke 12:7 "But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows." and Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” as testified to the deep spirtual connection between creator and created. That the I know you not statement isnt a declaration of ignorance of the identity of a person (omniscient and all) but a poetic statement in sense that he was relaying you didn't know me, you acted out of obligation, you didn't love because of that there's no relationship between us.

Last edited:
Back