• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

12 apostles, 12 tribes... Hmm

Asforme&myhouse

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Does anyone know if there has been any research as to wether or not the 12 apostles were each from a different israeli tribe? It seems like something God would do. Anyway, just curious :)

No idea about the research but the number 12 sure is symbolic for other things as well.

Good question!
Hopefully, someone may have an answer or know where to find it.

I don't believe the bible specifically says, however there is a lot to link the tribes to the apostles. For example:

Matthew 19:28, Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel."

Revelation 20:4, Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed.

Revelation 21:12-14, It had a great, high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel were inscribed—on the east three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates.And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

They're associated together with the thousand year reign and with the new Jerusalem after the final judgement. For some reason I had always assumed that each apostle got one tribe to judge during the thousand year reign, but it doesn't actually say that. It would make sense if they were from that tribe though.

It doesn't seem possible as James and John were brothers (Matthew 4:21), as was Peter and Andrew (Luke 6:14). Interesting thought though.

Great point aineo. I think it's fairly obvious that the number is significant, but yeah, doesn't seem possible that they represented each of the tribes. Plus I feel that would probably have been called out somewhere had it been the case and significant.

Good point about some of them being brothers!

I think it is interesting how in Rev 21 it says on the foundations are written the names of the twelve apostles and on the gates the twelve tribes. Chronologically speaking that seems out of order... Interesting though.

On a side note, i find it amazing that christians (myself included not that long ago) speak evil of polygyny and yet God has literally inscribed it on the eternal city. The more i study the more i am amazed at how polygyny is woven into almost every facet of the scriptures. Does anyone know, by chance, how many of the 66 books of the Bible mention polygyny in one way or another?

They definitely were not from all 12 tribes. Remember that 10 tribes had been lost 600 years earlier. There were only the tribe of Judah and portions of the tribe of Benjamin and Levi remaining in any numbers.

That is an extremely good point Zec.
Asforme&myhouse, remember the country was first divided into Israel (10 tribes) and Judah (2 tribes). Both turned away from YHWH, but Israel turned away faster and worse. Israel was sent into captivity first, never to return. Then Judah went into captivity in Babylon for 70 years, returning to rebuild Jerusalem, becoming the Jews. Named after the tribe of Judah. The Jews are just a fragment of Israel.

I would hope not.
Pity the tribe that would have been represented by Judas.

On the point that 10 were lost and thereby could not be in Judea I think is wrong. Take the example of the Greeks. The Greeks for definitely apart the known world and their history stems from the descendants of Jacob before Josephs death in Egypt.

Not to go off topic or down a rabbit hole...but...

This thread brought to mind a passage that there is much discussion about. To me it is clear from other passages (such as the ones posted above by FollowingHim2) that the twenty four elders are representatives from the twelve tribes of Israel representing the Old Covenant, and the twelve apostles representing the New Covenant.

Rev 4:4 And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

Also to the point of only two & 1/2 tribes being in Israel during the time of Christ, that is correct but only to a certain degree. The Hellenistic Jews were oftentimes the descendants of the other tribes who would visit still for the feast days.
They were oftentimes poorly tolerated by the occupying Jews and also not as familiar with the finer details of the Torah in many cases.
A prime example is the phrase the 'preparation of the passover'. Matthew and John (both raised in Israel) present it in a Torah correct perspective as the High Sabbath, Luke presents it as a different day yet still correctly because his is from a Hellenistic perspective as the day before the weekly sabbath, Friday, (not a High Sabbath). Mark has at least 3 issues with his chronology that I cannot reconcile since my understanding was that he was raised in Israel. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a Hellenistic copyist error being as John Mark became the Evangelist to Alexandria where there were many Hellenistic Jews.

The Levites and priests are not usually listed from their tribe in the New Testament. Several men are known as being from that tribe because of their position like Zachariah, John the Baptizers father.

To my knowledge, the only two men that it states which tribe they are from is Jesus and Saul, Judah & Benjamin respectively.

If you ever want to find out why Saul is so important in the New Testament, there's a Dead Sea Scroll called the Testaments of the Patriarchs. In it, read the Testament of Benjamin. Compare with Genesis 49:27 (Jacobs deathbed blessing) Next compare the first Saul of the Tribe of Benjamin with the second.

Also interesting is in Jewish culture, even today, Moses & Elijah are the friends of the bridegroom. Elijah prepares the way and sometimes performs the part of matchmaker as Abraham' servant did for Isaac. Moses' job is to be a personal assistant to the bride to make sure that she has everything she needs to know and learn so she can be perfect for her soon coming groom.
We know that Jesus names John the Baptist as being Elijah (Elias) if ye will receive it.
So who plays Moses' part?

A prime example is the phrase the 'preparation of the passover'. Matthew and John (both raised in Israel) present it in a Torah correct perspective as the High Sabbath, Luke presents it as a different day yet still correctly because his is from a Hellenistic perspective as the day before the weekly sabbath, Friday, (not a High Sabbath). Mark has at least 3 issues with his chronology that I cannot reconcile since my understanding was that he was raised in Israel. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a Hellenistic copyist error being as John Mark became the Evangelist to Alexandria where there were many Hellenistic Jews.
To reconcile the days, here's a completely different perspective that makes everything fall into place: Use the Qumran solar calendar discovered in the Dead Sea Scrolls. Using this calendar, the Passover day was always the third day of the week (think "tuesday"), with the feast of unleavened bread held that evening (last supper). However, for various reasons, the Pharisees may have been holding the Passover meal incorrectly the following evening (think "wednesday" evening), celebrating the High Sabbath of Passover the following day (think "thursday", fifth day). This puts the crucifixion on a "Wednesday", hastily completed before sundown because the Pharisees observed a High Sabbath on the "Thursday". Yeshua was in the grave three nights (wed, thu, fri) and three days (thu, fri, sat), with the resurrection at sundown sat, discovered first thing "sun" morning, first day of the week. If so, this explains the "sign of the prophet Jonah" which just doesn't fit with the standard friday-sunday timeframe (which is only two nights and one day, that's always seriously bothered me). I'm not claiming this is necessarily correct, but if you're looking into this definitely consider this option, it's the best explanation I have ever found.

Back