• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

2009 Retreat schedule - for comment

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Alright everyone, this will be in a newsletter in the next few days, but for you finding it in the forums here's a head start.
You said you want us to plan ahead, so here we go.

Here's what we are proposing. I'd like to have the first 2 retreats, including location, nailed in stone by mid November:

Tennessee or NC: March 27th-29th, 2009
Centrally located for most of East Coast
Campground/Cabin location in the mountains, currently being researched
If you like the idea of staying in cabins (1 per family, or shared for those who wish to save funds)
This would be a more rustic retreat - although their should be hotel options not too far away.
We would plan on doing cooking in a large kitchen, making for a more community-type event, rather than eating out.
Does this appeal to you? And does the general location and date work for you?
Let us know: Reply here, or email staff@biblicalfamilies.org

Orlando, FL: May 22nd-25th, 2009 (Memorial Day)
For those East Coasters (or anyone) who can’t make March, or don't do "rustic", or just want to come to Florida for the play-time.
I think we will plan on making this an annual event (it will be our 4th Memorial Day in a row - a "root" of Biblical Families.)
When we get too big to meet at our house, we'll figure something out.
If this works for you, let us know.

2nd half of the year, will remain tentative for a while yet:

West Coast (perhaps Northern California – drivable from San Diego to Seattle):
Sept 12th -14th , 2009 (1 week after Labor Day)
Open to feedback on location and date

Dallas, Texas:
December, 2009
Open to input on exact date - we will try for a non-hotel location next year, and settle on a date by mid-year.
Is after Christmas weekend good (Dec 26-28th)? Or better to be earlier in the month?

YOU are why we do these - so let us know what works for you. We can't accommodate everybody of course, but if we hear the same thing from multiple people, that's important. We wish we could come to your house, but that won't happen yet. :) So if meeting other "normal" plural-minded families and Christians is important to you, you have to make an effort too. Just ask any of the over 100 persons who attended retreats this year if it was worth it. Let me tell you, I think the retreats are even more important for the ladies, than the men - guys, do it for them.

The Smokies in the end of March looks doable for us. The idea of cooking meals together sounds great, too.

Sounds like the Texas retreat went well - wish we could have been there.

Brother Nathan,
The dates in March should be a go for Chaplains Rose and myself unless something happens to change that. We are both already looking forward to going. the end of the year will be very iffy for us with the way Chaplains Rose works and how my crew change will fall.

Tennessee would be closer than NC.
David

Nathan7 said:
Alright everyone, this will be in a newsletter in the next few days, but for you finding it in the forums here's a head start.
You said you want us to plan ahead, so here we go.

Here's what we are proposing. I'd like to have the first 2 retreats, including location, nailed in stone by mid November:

If you like the idea of staying in cabins (1 per family, or shared for those who wish to save funds)
This would be a more rustic retreat - although their should be hotel options not too far away.
We would plan on doing cooking in a large kitchen, making for a more community-type event, rather than eating out.
Let us know: Reply here, or email staff@biblicalfamilies.org

For those East Coasters (or anyone) who can’t make March, or don't do "rustic", or just want to come to Florida for the play-time.
I think we will plan on making this an annual event (it will be our 4th Memorial Day in a row - a "root" of Biblical Families.)

Open to feedback on location and date

Dallas, Texas:
December, 2009
Open to input on exact date - we will try for a non-hotel location next year, and settle on a date by mid-year.
Is after Christmas weekend good (Dec 26-28th)? Or better to be earlier in the month?

YOU are why we do these - so let us know what works for you. We can't accommodate everybody of course, but if we hear the same thing from multiple people, that's important. We wish we could come to your house, but that won't happen yet. :) So if meeting other "normal" plural-minded families and Christians is important to you, you have to make an effort too. Just ask any of the over 100 persons who attended retreats this year if it was worth it. Let me tell you, I think the retreats are even more important for the ladies, than the men - guys, do it for them.

Nathan7 said:
Let us know: Reply here, or email staff@biblicalfamilies.org.

Good evening Brother,

First let me say, that we really missed out coming to the retreat in October. My wife and I were really looking forward and had eveything planned, but as the saying goes, sometimes life gives you a lemon, so we made lemonade as best we could. That said, Tennessse or NC will be doable. Either is about an eight hour drive, much better than the 18 hour to Texas. Just to let you all know, maybe NC would be better considering the TIME of year you want this to happen. Living in the Appalachians, we can get snow fall that may hinder most from attending especially in Tennessee. North Carolina may still get some snow, but it would not be as bad as if it was Tennessee. Either one will work for us as we live in West Virginia and there is nothing better than fresh snow in the mountains :D . One of my children will have a B-Day on the 28th so she will have a blast. ;)

Nathan7 said:

This is good for us as well, the kids will be out of school and even though it is a bit farther to go, we can still make it as well.

Nathan7 said:

Open to feedback on location and date.

This one we probably could not make it for, sorry.

Nathan7 said:
Dallas, Texas:
December, 2009

This may take some doing with this, but around Christmas Time may be perfect. I would need to request that time off from work at the beginning of the year so I can be the first to claim that time slot. So if this date will be official and know as early as the begining of the year, then I have a good chance to get that time off from work. But I cant think of a better time to get together than the season for friends and family. God Bless and good evening

Sounds like the dates for next year are really working for most everyone. That's great.

As far as NC goes, judging by the past years of weather, we most likely won't have to worry about snow. Most people will probably need a jacket though. Just in case. If anyone needs any further information just let me know. I work right around there where we're thinking about and I live right down the road.

Orlando was a great time last year. The humidity takes some getting used to for us country boys, but you hardly notice it when you're having such a great time. If you missed it last year, you should try to attend this year. You'll love it!

We would probably, not for sure, do Tenn/NC. Not Orlando (logistics problem). Not west coast. (same logistics). And we would probably do Dallas again.

If one year by some miraculous coincidence we are visiting my family in Arizona around the time of the Texas retreat we would make an effort to go, but we only visit there one every several years, so the odds arn't great. I hope everyone has a great time.

Here's some pictures from when I went and scouted the possible location for next year's retreat in NC. Video and informational PDF to follow.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

Todd,
First.....Late Happy B-Day.

Now to the sad part......As much as I love the pictures and would enjoy being up in the hills.....it looks like Chaplains rose and I will not be able to make this retreat. We really, really want to come,but I may be asked to preach that weekend at a re-enactment that some of the guys in my Unit wish to attend. I held services at that event this year and look to be asked to do so again. Will have to see what the Lord has in store.

how about having the texas retreat earlier since the last one had to be moved at the last min and many could not attend...

Ok, so I was just looking forward to going, but now I am getting more excited. After enduring the "church discipline" and confrontation after being outed regarding our views on biblical marriage, I think that both my wife and myself are looking forward to being in a group that does not think that we are possessed or going to hell. We don't even need to talk about poly at all, we just are looking forward to spending time with people with like interests and beliefs.

I don't know who is going or how many will be attending, but I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

What is going on with the West Coast fall retreat this year? I was sure I saw something about it either in the newsletter or the forum but I can't seem to re-find it. We will be traveling to BC this fall and if we can work quite a few things out and the retreat is somewhat northward we might be able to make it. If there is a chance we can we need to start planning early with passports ect.

In our next e-letter (HOPEFULLY going out in the next few days), we will have an annoucement regarding the fall retreat.

So stay tuned...

Same Bat-Time!
Same Bat-Channel!

Ah, thats a pity, we will be very far north by then.

We will have to go back our original plan of making our next trip to Arizona close to the time of the annual Texas retreat. It would have been really jam packed to try to make the retreat this year anyway.

Back