• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

2017 Summer Family Retreat and Conference, June 30th-July 3rd, Tennessee Mountains

Haus Amelang is hard at work getting ready for the retreat. Can't believe it's almost here!!

(NB - Ginny and Ann were busy cleaning up the kitchen and a plumbing project. You can see where they should be standing and singing in front of the couch, where the two mic stands are. This was an instrumental rehearsal so we could bring Paul up to speed; vocal rehearsals came later in the evening. Unfortunately, Kurt's not going to make this retreat, but Hannah is doing yeoman service as our new lead vocalist!)

IMG_1947-CS.JPG

Wait, no audio?:D

On a serious note, you've probably mentioned this at a retreat, or in some other thread, but how do you get to play for other ministries or Christian events? Is it a "don't ask, don't tell" scenario? Just curious.

Exactly. (And I don't remember getting into this before....) We operate on a "don't ask, don't tell, WYSIWYG" basis. When questions get asked, we answer them. But we don't lead with our 'alternative lifestyle'; we have nothing to prove. We're just a family that loves Jesus that is available to lead worship if you want us to. (Whether you want us to or not may depend on what you think of our 'lifestyle', but then that's on you....)

Ever have someone book you, figure out the poly situation, then badmouth you to other potential offerings?
Exactly. (And I don't remember getting into this before....) We operate on a "don't ask, don't tell, WYSIWYG" basis. When questions get asked, we answer them. But we don't lead with our 'alternative lifestyle'; we have nothing to prove. We're just a family that loves Jesus that is available to lead worship if you want us to. (Whether you want us to or not may depend on what you think of our 'lifestyle', but then that's on you....)
Ever been booked, performed, then "outed" and had the ministry bad mouth you to other potential bookings?

Not to my knowledge. There are a couple of churches that have turned on us, but if they're trash-talking to other ministries or fellowships, then we're blissfully ignorant of it.

Not to my knowledge. There are a couple of churches that have turned on us, but if they're trash-talking to other ministries or fellowships, then we're blissfully ignorant of it.
Well, God bless. For those of us not attending, how do we sample your music? Do you have a website? Will someone be recording and posting?

Well, God bless. For those of us not attending, how do we sample your music? Do you have a website? Will someone be recording and posting?
Um, yeah, that's a problem....

We do have a website at faithmusicworship.com, but if you go there you will instantly see that it is essentially abandoned. I built it early on in my days as a web designer, more as an exercise than because I had any particular plan for development, and it has languished ever since. One of these days I'll do a complete overhaul; in the meantime, the cobbler's children have no shoes....

Meanwhile, we've wanted to do some recording as a family band for a long time. We tried doing a live recording at the North Carolina retreat last summer, but had technical problems, and the whole process was a big distraction for me and Paul, so this year we're not even going to attempt that.

Cheryl has a couple of solo piano albums that are available on CD Baby, Amazon, and iTunes. One of original compositions and one of covers of some of her favorites. All good stuff.

At some point in the future (marshalling resources at this point), we'll begin doing some serious recording of my talented children and of course the family worship band. Paul is moving back to Brenham this summer, and between the two of us we have enough gear to do some serious production work, so that will give all projects a boost.

At some point in the "we'll get there when we get there" future, our plan is to develop our little homestead (eight acres in central Texas) into a large family / small group retreat center and worship training center. In the ultimate vision, we record live worship here on a regular basis and release a CD every 3-6 months to interested believers (much as the Vineyard did with their Touching The Father's Heart series in the 90s). There's a great Gene Peterson book from the '80s, A Long Obedience in the Same Direction, the title of which pretty much describes our mindset on all this.

Speaking of talented children, Hannah just posted this on facebook this morning. Enjoy!

Well, it was worth it, just hearing that beautiful piece.
Some day...I hope to hear it all live.:)

That. Would. Be. AWEsome!!

Was all set for Phoenix, but it fell through. :(

Tennessee is a bit far for us. With kids, it's expensive to travel. With kids, it's hard to find reliable babysitters if Mrs. Mojo and I went as a couple.

Maybe next year.

Phoenix is just a couple of hours for us, and even that might be a challenge at times. Between the children, animals, garden, orchard, and work going full blast right now, I'm doing good to keep a regular appointment of sorts with my pillow! Long days and short nights catch up with a body.
I do hope they figure out a retreat or meet up out this way, but hotels just aren't our cuppa tea.
Hope y'all have a fabulous fulfilling time of fellowship in Tennessee!

Wow! I say Wow! You have an incredibly talented young lady there Andrew. Was that an original piece or one she covered? Either way it was phenomenal.

She wrote that. :eek:

Posting the video on facebook, I referred to her as "a precious spirit, wise beyond her years". Seems to fit....

She wrote that. :eek:

Posting the video on facebook, I referred to her as "a precious spirit, wise beyond her years". Seems to fit....
What talent! You must be proud as a peacock, or at least you should be.

Oh, yeah, you have no idea.... ;)

I'm looking forward to getting into the studio with her later this summer and seeing what we can do with that song and a handful of others she wrote. More will be revealed!...

Sweet!

Back