• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A Doctrine a Day to Keep the Devil Away: The Inspired Bible

Dr. K.R. Allen

Real Person
Doctrine: The Bible is Supernaturally Inspired
Our Lord while ministering on this earth was often questioned by the religious leaders as they sought to undermine his authority. In many respects the religious crowd had grown to be more in love with their traditions (Matt. 15:3) than the actual mind and heart of God. In one instance after a trick question the Lord replied to them by saying, "You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God" (Matt. 22:29). The Word of God is the written heart and mind of God. The Bible says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1:1). It is this word of God which brings power, light, and sanctification to us. As Christ said, "Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth" (John 17:17).

Life Application
The Bible has for hundreds of years outsold millions of other books. It remains each year as one of the highest sold pieces of literature. Yet still it is one of the least read books. The Lord, who has no beginning or no ending, knows everything and from that position of perfect knowledge he has recorded for us in 66 books the key ideas that he knows are essential to us living a godly, healthy, balanced, & honorable life. By a regular perusal of Scripture we can be protected from ignorance, deception, and spiritual myopia. By the study and application of the word we can be delivered from the deluge of humanism that seeks to permeate our hearts with idolatry as it leads us towards selfishness.

Dr. Allen

Re: A Doctrine a Day to Keep the Devil Away: The Inspired Bi

Dr Allen, All of this I have been taught and believe. Please expand on the idea of inspiration of the "original" writings as opposed to the various incarnations and why we can rely (or not)on the accuracy of current versions in our english speaking world. Perhaps more on Jesus, the embodiment of the written Word and how He satisfies the revelation of God as a tangible entity versus the spoken Word.
Another treatise could expound on why the inter-testament books were not included in the 66 books nor letters or epistles written after John's Revelation. How did the cultural/religious prevailing winds change the way our beloved scriptures could have been translated.
If Jesus's Sermon on the Mount represents the heart of God Almighty, as God followers how ought we to live in this foreign land?
Mad- because I believe the unbelievable
Dog- because Jesus is the Lion so I am content being a dog

Re: A Doctrine a Day to Keep the Devil Away: The Inspired Bi

Maddog,

I appreciate the critical review which I suppose is what you are offering there.

My intent in this is not to write a dissertaion, nor a master level or doctoral level treatise on any of these subjects, but instead just develop a brief, basic, faithful and Evangelically based doctrinal guide that can touch the lives of those browsing the forums now and will later be put together and used for people coming into this site who desire to have a solid Evangelical base to work from in regard to their spiritual journey.

Basic doctrinal illiteracy is always a plague that needs constant countering.

As for your specifics:
Inspiration does extend only to the original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. Some good translations of the originals are: ASV; NASB, NKJV; and the ESV. If you desire to do further study in that field let me know and I can direct you to some of the most solid scholars in textual criticism and their works. But it would be counter productive for me to unload all of that information here for these shorter nuggets. I would lose most people when diving into such weighty matters that likely 75% of the people would not yet have that type of interest, at least not yet in their current walk.

As for the sermon on the mount, which represents the heart and character of God, I try and intertwine that heart into all of these short devotions.

Thanks for your feedback,

Dr. Allen

Back