• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A Father's Day Thought to Celebrate the Gift of Fatherhood

Dr. K.R. Allen

Real Person
A Father's Day Thought for Celebrating the Gift of Fatherhood​

God the Father who came to earth as God in the Flesh has set forth the model for Fatherhood. As a Father of all fathers he not only created all of us in Adam but he too was the greatest victim of our rebellion. He chose to create us, knowing that we would in our finite condition oppose him, and then even while in sin he chose to come down to us in our form to meet us in our time of greatest need.

As the Father he loved us in creation, as a Father he loved us while we were in sin, and as a Father he loved us back to himself relationally. As the Father he planned it all, governed it all, suffered in it most of all, and remained faithful through it all. As the Father he led the way, loved us even while we walked away, and gave all even by his own life.

As we celebrate father's day may we all contemplate the care and heart the Lord as Father had for us so that we can model that love to others. If you are a father, either in the physical sense and/or in the spiritual sense where you are a spiritual leader to another under your care, I pray God as the Father grants to you much wisdom, love, grace, and strength for your task. I praise God for you and for the journey he has you walking. Though some days it may seem too tough, and though some days you may feel overwhelmed, God the Father loves you in Christ and has given himself to you in the Spirit to help you as you walk, lead, and grow in the love of the Lord as you share that Love to those whom are beloved by you.

Dr. Billy Graham has said: "It is only the strong Christian family unit than can survive the coming world holocaust." And too he has said, "Your own family circle knows whether Christ lives in you and through you." The Bible says, "grandchildren are the crown of the aged and the glory of children is their fathers" (Proverbs 17:6). May God give fathers the grace to lead others to the glory in God the Father through Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit!

Happy Father's Day!

Re: The Blessing of The Father and His fathers for Father's

The thing that amazes me most is this: God really knows me, and still loves me!

That is how we, as husbands and fathers, are to love our wives and children. My own late earthly father loved me with the love given to him by our Heavenly Father, and so set a good example for me.

Isaiah 64:4 says that our own righteousness is like filthy rags. (Look that up in the original Hebrew...it's not very complimentary!) So He provided the Righteousness of His Only Begotten Son to clothe us in. (Only Begotten, not One and Only as most modern translations render it. All who are born again are sons of God, but by adoption, not by being begotten. Adam and the angels are sons of God by special creation.)

Re: The Blessing of The Father and His fathers for Father's

Dr. George,

Your comment reminded me of a time when a student asked a question of Dr. Barth. Karl Barth was in his particular field one of the most brilliant minds of his era. He was a prolific author, theologian, and philosopher within his tradition (wrote one of the largest sets of systematic theology ever in the history of Christendom). The student asked Dr. Barth: "what is the most amazing thing you have ever learned from the Bible or about God?"

Dr. Barth replied: "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tell me so."

The student did not think he was serious so he asked him again. Dr. Barth responded, with the students laughing, "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so." The class grew silent as they pondered the words from Karl again.

One of the most profound truths is indeed that God would come down to us and love us as his children. May God grant us more fathers in this nation and world to love like God the Father loves us.

Back