• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A matter of Law

Scarecrow

In speaking about matters of doctrine in which things themselves have no intrinsic evil, but rather that they can be used or misused, one of my favorite Christian teachers published an article that I found very interesting. One paragraph in particular stood out in that it pointed out that numerous religions have elevated their perceptions of things as evil and therefore justified constituting a law prohibiting such things. The examples were given of groups that prohibit dancing, makeup, and the like. He pointed out what the Apostle Paul taught about eating meat that was sacrificed to idols. The meat in itself is not either good or bad, but that it had been sacrificed to an idol and then sold in the market bothered some and they felt it was wrong to eat it while others feasted on it without concern. It dawned on me that the same thing had happened to marriage, monogamy has been elevated to the status of law where indeed there is no law. It is startling to me that the obvious lack of such a law and the numerous examples in the scriptures of polygyny have somehow been overlooked by the churches, and the truth has been replaced by law which contradicts what is clearly evident in scripture. It dawned on me how what was written in the article actually applied to us and the understanding we have been given. Here is the paragraph I am talking about:

“At the same time, when these adiaphorous matters are elevated into the status of law, and people become convinced that God requires them to follow a certain path, the Bible gives instruction on how we are to be sensitive to them. It is not a matter of Christian liberty to bash or to ridicule those who have these scruples. We are called to be sensitive to them. We are not to offend unnecessarily those referred to in the Bible as weaker brothers. On the other hand, sensitivity to the weaker brother stops at the point where he elevates his sensitivity to become the law or defining rule of Christian behavior.”

Is it just me or did anyone else just go “wow!”? Those who have not had the Holy Spirit reveal the truths of Biblical Marriage to them are actually weaker brothers. I now understand why they are so sensitive to the issue. But at the same time I agree that my sensitivity to them stops at the point where they have constituted a law where no such law exists.

...sensitivity to the weaker brother stops at the point where he elevates his sensitivity to become 'the law'...
[quotes added, because calling something 'law' does not make it such... ;) ]

Good point. It is one which our Savior made repeatedly, and without hesitation called those who attempted to do so "hypocrites".

Both Deuteronomy 4:2, and 12:32 (as well as the obvious reprise at the end of the Book) forbid such "additions to" His Word.

This intrinsic evil is the very core of bad marriage law. Time again to quote a translation of Tretullian's De Monogamia "It is better to marry than to burn in hell, but only just barely"

And thus: Clergy are forbidden to marry, the laity are forbidden all forms of polygamy (serial and simultaneous, the original doctrine of monogamy did now allow widows or widowers {Much less divorcees} to remarry)

And over the centuries God has resorted marriage to its true form, serial polygamy is now totally acceptable, our pastors marry, even catholic priests may sometimes marry now. Only one thing left to undo.

and yeah, that is a very good article.

Interesting points.

My only thought on that is if we perceive the other brother to be the weaker brother or sister then we are under obligation to obey Romans 14 in the way we treat him or her. This means we are "to welcome him," we are not to "quarrel/argue/bicker over opinions" (Rom. 14:1).

If a man desires to have only one wife then he should be welcome, accepted, and the ones who desire more, or have more, should not pass before the "weaker one" an alloof attitude of that the one with the desire or with more than one wife is better.

The entire chapter in Romans 14 is about how to deal with conscience truth versus universal truth. From what I have seen more damage has been done to the body of Christ by believers arguing and fighting with one another over conscience issues than almost any other issue.

For example, take the one issue of alcohol. Some people will fight you tooth and nail that it is right or it is wrong and they try and force their view onto others. That is not how the Lord desires for this topic (a conscience truth) to be discussed. There is a difference in universal doctrinal truth, such as salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone and the doctrine of drinking alcohol, or what day is the best day to worship on, what foods to eat. etc.

Our responsibility as brothers is twofold when we see or think or believe that another is weaker than us in any area of doctrine: "do not put a stumbling block in the way of the brother" (Rom. 14:13), and by what we do (practice) we are not to do it in such a way that we "destroy the one for whom Christ died" (Rom. 14:15).

In practical situations this could be something like this:

If the brother who drinks alcohol thinks the one who does not drink is the weaker brother then if the weaker brother shows up at the drinker's home the person should not pull out the beer, or wine, or alcohol and drink it in front of the person or offer it to him if he knows that doing so would hurt or cause the other person to stumble.

If the weaker brother says something against alcohol as being evil the stronger one would not let it be spoken of as evil (Rom. 14:16).

This "give and take" approach is designed by God so give room for the weaker to grow in a context of love and acceptance while the stronger brothers do not force or pressure the weaker to partake of the idea or activity.

This promotes a culture and atmosphere of love instead of an argumentative, divisive, and "my way or the highway" type of thinking. Love tolerates the weaker brother, does not flaunt its freedoms, and at times even keeps the "faith" one has "between himself and God" (Rom. 14:22).

Paul's underlying theme in all of his theology was love. That was the theme of the OC and the NC. Love is the route or avenue in which we bring God glory. God's glory is his highest aim and the way we model his aim is by the art of loving others.

Dr. Allen

Dr. K.R. Allen said:
The entire chapter in Romans 14 is about how to deal with conscience truth versus universal truth. From what I have seen more damage has been done to the body of Christ by believers arguing and fighting with one another over conscience issues than almost any other issue.

Agreed...and well said. When I read your statements the word conscience reminded me of what Luther said. Too bad the Protestant Reformation didn't complete what was started.

“I confess that I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God. In such a case the civil authority has nothing to do in the matter.”

Martin Luther
10 November 1483 - 18 February 1546

The "not offending the brethren" concept has actually been used against us as a reason NOT to add a second wife to our family. One person told us that even if they agreed with the belief of polygyny, just the fact that almost all Christians see it as a sin is a good enough reason not to take another wife, because it would be "devisive".

While one can choose to serve alcohol or not serve alcohol, or choose to wear more modest clothing in the presence of certain people, it's rather difficult to pretend that you don't have a second wife in those circumstances. It's also quite insulting and hurtful.

I'm not quite sure how to counter the above argument, but what I've read so far has given me some food for thought.

In the Apostle Paul's example we have a piece of meat which does not have any emotional tie to the individuals involved. The Apostle Paul also publicly reprimanded Peter for disassociating himself from the Gentiles when the Jews were around. If an individual was to be offended by the presence of any of my wives I would, without hesitation, choose to associate with my wives and disassociate with the offended individual. In this situation I think the offended individual would promptly receive a little talk from the Apostle Paul.

Scarecrow,

I am building materials in research for this subject. The quote by Luther is one that I would like to have a reference to. Can you tell me what book, journal, or source that I can find that quote you used? I know this is off topic from the thread but i hope you don't mind me asking for that one piece of information.

Thanks so much.

"in a letter to the Saxon Chancellor Gregor Brück, Luther stated that he could not "forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict Scripture." ("Ego sane fateor, me non posse prohibere, si quis plures velit uxores ducere, nec repugnat sacris literis.")

A PDF of it is available here:
http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC0 ... &q&f=false

Adobe page 486 (Page 459 as printed on the page of document)

Scarecrow,

Cool.

Is this in a book that you can point me to? Maybe a page number or chapter in a book?

Back