• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A New Way of looking at something.

truthfinder1967

Brothers and Sisters,

I have got to ask, you know how it is when you have a eureka moment. A puzzle or problem that has stumped you, and after careful study and long hours you come across the answer. Let’s also say that you understand a situation and you have figured out the problem, and then afterwards you come across confirmation of what you had already figured out for yourself. Well brothers and sisters, tonight I had one of those eureka moments, and I must tell you what I have found out.

Here's how it started tonight. I was downloading the e-sword program, and by the way, thanks a whole lot brother Randy I believe this tool will go a long way in our study of the bible. Once the program was finished and I restarted my computer, I ran the program. Since this was the first time I ran something of this nature, and wanted to check out all the features of the software. I thought of one of the arguments from scripture that many use to say that God’s original plan was to have one husband, one wife, one flesh. So I type that into the verse search, and got the following;

(Gen 2:24) Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Now here is the eureka moment, I think you all will appreciate the impact of this. Looking at the Hebrew words for cleave, one, and flesh, the following definitions came up;

Cleave= dâbaq, daw-bak'
A primitive root; properly to impinge, that is, cling or adhere; figuratively to catch by pursuit: - abide, fast, cleave (fast together), follow close (hard, after), be joined (together), keep (fast), overtake, pursue hard, stick, take.

One='echâd, ekh-awd'
A numeral from; properly united, that is, one; or (as an ordinal) first: - a, alike, alone, altogether, and, any (-thing), apiece, a certain [dai-] ly, each (one), + eleven, every, few, first, + highway, a man, once, one, only, other, some, together.

Flesh= bâśâr baw-sawr'
flesh (from its freshness); by extension body, person; also (by euphemism) the pudenda of a man: - body, [fat, lean] flesh [-ed], kin, [man-] kind, + nakedness, self, skin.

Looking at the total definitions that could come from the original Hebrew, I started tinkering with the verse a little like so;

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall adhere (cleave) unto his wife: and they shall be first (one) kin (flesh).

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall adhere (cleave) unto his wife: and they shall be alike (one) kin (flesh).

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall adhere (cleave) unto his wife: and they shall be united (one) kin (flesh).

These three new verses say pretty much the same thing, and all three have radically different meanings over the first original KJV translation. Then it dawn on me, these new views fall more into line with the context of what the verse is saying. I always wondered why God chose to put Mother and Father into this verse, now I know. Looking at the way I put the verses together from the original Hebrew, what is a Mother and Father anyways but a child’s first kin or family. If one looks at even the original and looks at the context it is saying a person will leave their first family and start their own. My take on the translated words follow this context even more closely than the original.

Now understand, until I downloaded the software, I viewed the KJV from a context of saying that a man could be one flesh, or body, with more than one wife, just as Christ adds to his body when people believe and follow him. This was my original understanding (without the aid of the software) of this particular verse and as it was others as well. Thanks to this new tool to help in my study, I believe the proper context is simply stating, that a person will leave their first family(mom and dad) and start a first family, or alike family(like the one they were born to), or even a new United family.

This Brothers and Sisters was the eureka moment. I eagerly look forward to many more such moments, Good Evening and God Bless!!!

Back