• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A question about Divorce...

I think it is clear she initiated the government divorce from the first husband. It is not as clear who initiated the biblical divorce from the first husband. If it is truly as presented to us then he effectively abandoned her and the marriage, and I would consider her biblically divorced. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the story as presented. It seems to be missing a few details.

Hello Eternitee.... Yes with her first husband, she filed for divorce because he abandon her and the children, and he did not want to reconcile with her because he already had another lady. Now the bad thing is that none of those involved knows about biblical polygamy. This is why all involved have been practicing serial monogamy.

I'd like to throw in my $0.02. I've read a lot in various posts regarding various topics about The Law. The Law is important. We should try to adhere to The Law but we will ultimately fail. That is why we have Christ - to forgive us when we fail. There is no reason to go back to her first or second husband. She claims they abandoned her, you have no reason to doubt it. Encourage her to repent for any wrong doing she _may_ have done and be done with it. God gave us The Law to show us we are completely incapable of doing everything right. Christ made it easy. We don't even have to sacrifice animals anymore. Let her have her peace in Christ and move on.

NetWatchR said:
That is why we have Christ - to forgive us when we fail... Encourage her to repent for any wrong doing she _may_ have done and be done with it.

My 0.002 cents may not be worth much but this is what I'm thinking too. Repentance and forgiveness. Especially since the lady may not have all the necessary information to make the right(eous) decision.

"Go your way and sin no more."

Back