• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A quick guide to tea

Wow! This was so fun to read! And now because of this:

The good tea will be made from younger leaves, while the cheap stuff will be old leaves and floor sweepings of dust that were rejected from all the named brands.

I'm going to spend some time opening tea bags and seeing what quality our teas are lol!

It's so fun to read how everyone likes their tea and which teas and so on. I prefer coffee but I do like a good Earl grey (or London Fog if it's made into a latte) and English Breakfast tea. I actually bought some Xylitol to start adding to our tea and coffee too but haven't made a cuppa with it yet. So far we've making sun tea in a glass pitcher outside and then chilling it and cutting it a little lemonade (the kids and I anyway, Slumber likes his black) for a little sweetness. :)

Tea can be a confusing subject when you haven't grown up with it and are trying to understand it from advertising. As all of us from the Commonwealth would like to have a decent cup of tea when visiting the USA, and no doubt there are many Americans who could also benefit from a good cuppa, here is a brief guide to tea: What it is and how to make it.

The word "Tea" is used in three different ways. Tea is a plant - a bush native to Asia. The leaves of this plant are steeped in water to make the drink called "tea". And, just to be confusing, English-speaking people have then taken to calling anything made from some plant material steeped in water "tea", even if it has no actual tea in it. Even if you wouldn't drink it (compost tea...).

This final point is what makes tea appear confusing. If someone who is unfamiliar with tea goes shopping for tea, they are overwhelmed by the immense variety of things they could buy that are labelled "tea". Should I get rosehip-infused-lemon-balm tea, or maybe strawberry-and-guava tea? And the shop shelves, and websites, are full of this stuff. Some of it is good and well recognised tea that people actually drink regularly (e.g. Earl Grey, a venerable blend of tea and bergamot, I frequently drink it myself). Other stuff is just random herbs mixed together to see what people are crazy enough to pay money for, and might be nice but are not really tea. If you don't know tea you won't know the difference, and the best way to extract money from people is to sell them a "tea selection" containing a small amount of good tea and a load of different varieties of rubbish, so they only drink a small amount of what they bought and are back sooner to buy more of the one thing that was actually decent. Steer clear of these, someone's after your money.

Forget all this complexity. Tea is simple.

There are fundamentally only two types of tea: Black tea, and Green tea.

If you pluck leaves off the tea bush, and dry them in a very simple manner, you have "green tea" (or "white tea" which is essentially the same thing).

If these leaves are then cured following a more complex process to preserve them and alter the flavour, you have "black tea".

Traditionally, black tea was exported to England from Asia, because it stored better than green tea. So that's what English-speaking people got used to drinking. So, in English, if someone says "tea" they mean black tea. If they want "green tea", they'll say "green tea", as it's considered a speciality product. If they'd prefer "some weird herbal concoction" they'll say that too. If they just say "tea", they ALWAYS mean simply "black tea".

Buying black tea

To keep it really simple, here's some examples of what you should actually be able to find on the shelves at Walmart:
Good quality tea: Twinings English Breakfast
Average quality tea:Lipton Black Tea
Probably rubbish tea, but cheap (I've never drunk these but I'm assuming it's the same stuff that is in the store-label boxes here): Great Value, National Cup
The good tea will be made from younger leaves, while the cheap stuff will be old leaves and floor sweepings of dust that were rejected from all the named brands. Cheap tea will have a bitter taste, and if you broke open the teabags you'll find they'll be filled with more powder and fewer recognisable pieces of leaf.

If you're expecting guests, or trying tea for yourself, buy something that is decent quality. Twinings and Lipton are internationally recognised brands so should be readily available. Dilmah is even better, I just couldn't see it online at Walmart so didn't post a link. You can experiment with cheap tea later if you're going to be drinking a lot, to find what doesn't taste terrible.

Making black tea for a guest

This is very simple. Just stick to this order of steps, the order is important.
  1. Put tea bag in a cup or mug.
  2. Pour boiling water onto the tea bag until the cup is about 3/4 full.
  3. From this stage, each person has some slight variations in how they prefer their tea. So hand it over to your guest now to let them finish for themselves.
    If at home: Show your guest where to find the milk, sugar and spoons, and let them finish it as they like it. They will probably leave the cup brewing for a few minutes before doing anything with it.
    If in a restaurant setting: Serve the guest the cup of tea, a small jug of milk (2oz is more than enough), some sugar, and a small spoon they can use to mix it.
If preparing it for yourself: Leave the tea to brew until the water is all nicely golden (everyone has a different preference as to how long to brew it for, feel free to experiment). Remove the teabag. Optionally, add a small amount of milk (until it is a caramel colour) and/or 1-2 teaspoons of sugar to taste, and stir. The most common way for an English-speaking person to have tea is with some milk, but no sugar.

Making green tea for a guest

In the unlikely event that your guest wants to drink green tea rather than black tea, this is even simpler. Use a "green tea" teabag. Follow steps 1 and 2 above, forget step 3 as nobody has milk in green tea. Just give it to them with the teabag in the cup, and a spoon. They'll remove the teabag when it's brewed to their satisfaction.

I hope this is useful to somebody.

I don't know why, but the "in the unlikely event that your guest wants to drink green tea rather than black tea..." made me laugh.

Language is maleable. I like the use of tea in other ways besides tea proper. It's a good way to communicate the nature of the thing.

Like how kids "spill the tea" when they share some juicy gossip?

Never heard that, have no idea what that has to do with tea of any kind. Except maybe the compost variety.

It would seem language is mutating faster in the cell phone / social media age (and not in a good way). Some of those are several iterations away from sayings of just a decade or two ago.

I use “nunya” quite often. Drives my kids nuts lol

I had never had sweet tea before attending a BF retreat. @julieb had a giant urn of the stuff, and I tried it and at first didn't like it. But I deliberately drank it for the weekend in order to acquire the taste of it, and now agree it's delicious. Just very unexpected on the non-American palate at first. :)
Tea out of an urn, that tastes funny? I can think of at least one good reason why tea out of an urn would take some getting used to...

A friend who lived in the UK for awhile was told that any tea not produced by the Commonwealth was simply considered "sweepings." It is so kind of you, Kiwi-won-kanobe, to consider any Yank tea at all to be consumable, and thank you for taking us to Proper Cup Of Tea School! If we graduate with honors, do we qualify for a certificate suitable for framing?

As far as sweet tea is concerned, for my taste it's just too sweet and I have lived in the South for nearly two decades. I have found that un-sweet iced tea with lemon is quite tasty. Pure Tea makes a great unsweet; full of flavor, quite refreshing.

I had never had sweet tea before attending a BF retreat. @julieb had a giant urn of the stuff, and I tried it and at first didn't like it. But I deliberately drank it for the weekend in order to acquire the taste of it, and now agree it's delicious. Just very unexpected on the non-American palate at first. :)

I feel like I should apologize to you for introducing you to "sweet tea"! I actually try and keep the sugar at a moderate level but it is certainly there. :) I think I will have to try P&G tips again. It has been awhile....maybe even without sugar. Can't promise anything though, I am a Southerner!

Tea out of an urn, that tastes funny? I can think of at least one good reason why tea out of an urn would take some getting used to...

I believe it was a glass dispenser...or it might have been a large Rubbermaid dispenser with instant tea. :eek::oops: I really do apologize for that one @FollowingHim. I try and make brewed tea now for retreats, if I can.

It was a glass dispenser, I don't know why I said urn. I think I'm so used to hot drinks I automatically used a word for a dispenser of hot water...

And don't apologise, once I was used to it your tea was delicious @julieb! I didn't mean to criticise at all, I was criticising my own funny foreign taste-buds. When I came back to a second retreat I enjoyed it from day 1. You make good sweet tea, and now I know how to appreciate it, so keep up the good work!

Back