• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A Study Of Polygamy In Russia

Doc

Real Person
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/200 ... ntral-asia

[flash=]'Half a good man is better than none at all'[/flash]
A study of polygamy in Russia suggests we have a lot to learn about how to beat the recession

I found this absolutely amazing, well-informed, well-researched article on polygamy in Russia. What does it have to do with us here at Biblical Families? Because every argument that is constantly banged up against plural marriage is taken apart piece by piece.

I would appreciate your feedback!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/200 ... ntral-asia

Blessings,

Doc

Well its interesting that a female academic is observing this with an open mind. It also makes me wonder if we are not a long way from polygyny in America. Russia's population crisis has been years in the making and we don't have the economic hardship or the harsh environmental conditions. On top of that these areas have a recent cultural history of it. We have hundreds of years of accumulated prejudices and religious tradition to wade through. Have you ever thought that we are laying the intellectual framework for a move we'll never see?

It is of course encouraging to see others acknowledging the advantages of polygyny and viewing it with a neutral eye, to the point of printing a neutral story in a newspapr.

Great article, Doc. It shows, in many respects, just how far from a Biblical society Amerika has decayed, and helps to put a lot of recent history in perspective. Ultimately, it seems to provide yet another witness of how our Creator made us - whether or not the urban intelligensia like it.

It also makes me wonder if we are not a long way from polygyny in America. Russia's population crisis has been years in the making and we don't have the economic hardship or the harsh environmental conditions.

We're a lot closer to an economic collapse than you might suspect, zephyr. Things can change VERY rapidly once the malignancy becomes obvious.

It certainly does provide another clue at how Isaiah 4:1 can come to pass...

I guess you're right. I think we're going to see a huge backlash against women in the culture first though. We're seeing it already. Violence against women is on the rise. Bitter men, who don't know their roles but know something is not right, are striking out at who they view as their oppressors, women. Its going to get worse too. I wonder if that's how it is going to come around, women seeking a husband who has shown he won't abuse her.

I strongly support the legalization of polygamy in Russia. I think PM on a large scale in that country would help and be accepted by many people.

One could argue that - on a large scale - PM wouldn't work in America. I personally believe that if practised by the majority of Americans, PM would harvest sexism and inequality.

However, sexism and inequality are alive and well in Russia. I believe the female to male ratio is something like 4:1. Attractive, educated Russian women are selling themselves to mail-order catalogs or single scumbags or married men they can never have. They just want to be loved and share their lives with someone. For goodness' sake, let them have it!

Back