• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A very insightful article from 1947

People were thinking about this in 1947? Who knew. Some sound bites:
For if repetitive divorces are permitted for capricious reasons—as in the notorious Tommy Manville case—we are tacitly establishing a legal halfway house between monogamy and polygamy. It is a polygamous relation accessible now only to the well-to-do. The ordinary man [can't] afford the luxury of repetitive divorces...

...the chief factor in our appalling divorce rate... [is that the] ...husband often is not—and does not want to be—a man, but a Boy. He wants, poor thing, not to be wived but to be mothered.

Ouch, guilty.

He wants, poor thing, not to be wived but to be mothered
wow
they had no idea how bad it would get, and I do not think that we have reached bottom yet :?

This guy is eerily back-to-the-future as to the reasons why we are in the mess we are in. I unashamedly add my own "Ouch!" to the mix, and am strengthened in my goal to "grow up into Christ." Having been married to someone who cut me loose so that I "could find someone who will love you, because I don't," and dealing with the aftermath in my kids, this article was both painful as well as inspirational. Thankfully now I am married to someone who does love me, and my responsibilities to be mature for God, my husband, and my SW are only increasing. Bottom line, PM, if done right, will cause a person to either fall on the rock and be broken in a good way, or have the rock fall on him. Sobering stuff, this, yet with "hope for the future," as Julie B so often says. ;)

Another example of there being nothing new under the sun. For any gentlemen wandering if reading the entire article is worthwhile, read it.

And yet another example of nothing new under the sun is my never having enough time ... ;)

Did read the article; it was well worth the time.

Written 1947 ... amazing ... it "felt" more like an article from a more recent time. Interesting mention of female promoscuity and hint at its impact on marital duration.

About men not wanting to grow up, well, I can't really relate to that - none of the men I know or have been exposed to are like that.

The diagnosis of the problem was very good, but the offered remedy didn't go far enough, I think, in that it was not rooted in a right relationship to God.

Back