• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A Way For a Man to Understand a Woman's Struggle to Submit

Dr. K.R. Allen

Real Person
All doctrine in the Bible is designed to be practical. Indeed one of the biggest issues we professors face in seminary is making what we teach practical and relevant to the actual world in which we live so our students do not just get head knowledge. Fuming feminists and egregious egalitarians who try and still act like they believe the Bible will circumvent the word of God and do things like claiming the biblical texts on headship and submission are for a time of the past and were just for their times but not for this era. They disguise their unbelief under this cultural relativism idea.

Yet even so we are still left with the real problem of women who truly do accept and believe the Bible's words about headship to be for today. Yet they sometimes still struggle with this and their will seems to be bound by their emotional struggle. They in their head agree they are to submit but their emotions drive them in a different direction. Some men who have only one member to their family or multiple members with them struggle to understand this. What makes it even more of a struggle is that we have been told by many that we cannot truly understand emotionally like a woman. But is that really true?

We find that the Bible teaches us that we are to view the relationship with Christ to his body as the way to see our relationship to our woman or women. The way Christ works towards his members is the way we are to work toward our members. So is it possible then to find and examine some way in which we relate to God so we can feel and experience the same type of struggle as does a woman who struggles to submit to us? I believe there is and it is often more simple than one might think.

First, let me explain with great brevity why this is important. The Bible tells us that we are to lead and live with our women in "an understanding way" (1 Peter 3). Thus, if we are to fulfill that command it is important for us to truly and really understand how they feel when they struggle with submission. How can we replicate this experience so that we can have that form of understanding?

We can do this by grasping the correlation between sovereignty, the Lord's headship with us, and our headship with a member of our family. The Bible says that Christ is our head and that the man is the head of the woman. So for us to understand the struggle with submission we simply have to look to how much we complain about our circumstances of life because God is sovereign as the head and governs the entire universe including the circumstances to which we find ourselves. The circumstances that we face day-to-day are so because God sovereignly makes them so. Look for example at these various Bible verses that speak to God's sovereignty:

God is sovereignly over evil as he ruled in making sure Christ was crucified: "this man [Jesus Christ] was delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God" (Acts 2:23). "For truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, to do whatever your hand and and your plan had predestined to take place" (Acts 4:27-28).

God is sovereignly over salvation as he ordains and chooses those whom he saves: "And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the Word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed/ordained to eternal life believed" (Acts 13:48). "But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace . . ." (Gal. 1:15). "In love he predestined us for adoption through Jesus Christ according to the purpose of his will" (Eph. 1:4).

God is sovereignly over the weather and the storms: "Whatever the LORD pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all the deeps. He it is who makes the clouds rise at the end of the earth, who makes lightening for the rain and brings forth the wind for the storehouses" (Psalm 148:8). "I kept rain from falling when you needed it the most, ruining all your crops. I sent rain on one town but withheld it from another. Rain fell one field, while another field withered away" (Amos 4:7).

God sovereignly rules over individual lives and actions: "I know, LORD, that a person's life is not his own. No one is able to plan his own course" (Jer. 10:23). "A man's steps are ordained by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way" (Proverbs 20:23)? "For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure" (Phil. 2:13).

God is sovereignly ruling over nations: "He makes nations great, and he destroys them; he enlarges nations, and he leads them away" (Job 12:23). "After this time had passed, I, Nebuchadnezzar, looked up to heaven. My sanity returned, and I praised and worshiped the Most High and honored the one who lives forever. His rule is everlasting, and his kingdom is eternal. All the people of the earth are nothing compared to him. He does as he pleases among the angels of heaven and among the people of the earth. No one can stop him or say to him, 'What do you mean by doing these things? (Dan. 4:34-35).

So what does this mean practically? Listen to what Paul said about grumbling and griping and complaining. He said, "Do everything without complaining and grumbling" (Phil. 2:14).

Men let me stop and ask you? How often do you complain and grumble? Ouch! I stand here guilty. This command about not complaining and grumbling is tough. But I see in that I struggle to submit to God's headship over me. God controls the weather. When I complain that it is too hot or too cold I am expressing a non-submissive attitude and spirit. God controls the weather, the rain, the snow, the wind. Thus, when some weather pattern occurs I, if walking in the Spirit, will seek to see God in that weather pattern and reflect on it in some way so that I can see God in it. When grumble and complain over some issue that has taken place in my life or another person's life I am missing the purpose of the Lord in it. God ordains all things so that we can see something about him in it. When I struggle with something God is doing around me it is a good time for me to take note of that struggle. It is the same feeling and struggle that a family member has when trying to appreciate and respect and submit to their head's rule.

Thus, as we look at those areas noted above we can examine where we complain and in that see our relationship to our head and in correlation see and feel how we struggle so that we understand how a woman struggles under our headship. When we are prideful and we do not like God being sovereign over salvation we can see how a family member struggles over our sovereign rights to take in another member to our family. When we feel that dislike swell up in our hearts where we complain and express our frustrations over daily life we can see in our hearts how we struggle to recognize and submit to God who ordained each event of the days of our life (see Psalm 139:16 where each day of our life was ordained before there ever was one of them).

The point is very simple. For us to live with an understanding heart as to why a woman struggles to submit we must examine how we too struggle to submit to God's absolute sovereignty. The more we complain about this or that the more we can see in our own lives our heart and feelings that lead us to fail in our submission. When we look at how we feel at those times when we act like that we can then identify with the ones in our family who too struggle to submit to our headship. And the more that we work to curb our grumbling and complaining heart so that we are more in line with our head and his sovereignty the more likely it is that our members will have the right model to submit to our headship and rule.

Re: A Way For a Man to Understand a Woman's Struggle to Subm

Headship & submission is a lot simpler than has been expressed in this post.

God is sovereign, but that doesn't mean that He is in total control of everyone or everything. It means that He is the last word as to whether it was good or bad. Case in point: 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." Yet, even Jesus recognized that most people will perish & very few will repent.

Why?
Each person has a choice, a will, a desire outcome or a desired path to the outcome. God knows what's best & attempts to guide each person, but we have the choice to submit to His leading or not.

Why don't we?
We think that what we want, the choice we'd prefer is better than what is given to us. We are looking for a different outcome or a different path to that outcome. We want to have the rewards but without the sacrifice, the glory of success without the pain of practice & failure, etc.

Then there's fear & selfishness: the two antonyms of love.
Biblical love as God loves is: doing what's best for another person regardless of the cost to yourself.
Fear looks at the cost & declares it too much.
Selfishness looks at what is best & does what's best for self regardless of the cost to others.

This works out the same for every two people on earth: spouses, parent/child, siblings, friends, co-workers, & even fellow drivers on the road. Love vs fear/selfishness.

So what does this have to do w submission?
Simple: Certain relationships require a leader & a follower. Other relationships are more like equal groups w needed cooperation. In each of these relationships we recognize the leader or frontperson in the relationship & have varying levels of support, input, & cooperation w said leader. Politically, we feel safe letting others lead because we can distance ourselves from a bad decision & claim our own superior leadership when the other fails.

But marriage isn't like that. It's for life & we're inexplicably linked in the role of leader & submissive. Thus we rebel at the thought of that person running our lives, even into the ground if they want, like a slave or a bad boss u can't get away from.

Selfish husbands think that leadership means that they have to decide life in a vacuum. This breeds fear in their wives who either aren't allowed to voice an opinion or who feel that such feelings of fearful helplessness = submissiveness. If the advice to kings to have many counsellors was wise (Proverbs 15:22 "Without counsel plans fail,
but with many advisers they succeed."), then husbands should also take counsel w their wives. Many men attempt to isolate this to just other husbands & wise men, but none of them have to live w your decisions like your own family does. Some families have 'group discussion' so even the children get to voice opinions in the process. If you're expecting cooperation & effort toward your venture from various parties then input from them helps get them on board rather than dragging along unwillingly.

On the typical day-to-day of leadership, submission is easier when communication is two-way (already discussed). Even more, it's easier when your wife feels in her heart of hearts that:
1) U love her like God loves her & u seek what's best for her.
2) She knows u truly listen when she's talking & not just ignoring her issues & concerns.
3) You're going to complete the journey & not leave her w the pieces halfway through.
4) The path will be walked both together & at a manageable pace.

The first real test for a lot of wives on this forum is when the husband says that he wants or God is calling him to have a 2nd wife. Every fear, inadequacy, & minor betrayal comes to the surface as reasons against it. Monogamy is really good at masking truth whereas polygyny is really good at laying a soul open. My mom was a BIG proponent for wifely submission, but her actions belied the hypocrisy. She wore coverings as a sign while pushing Dad around 'for his own good' on a daily basis. If Dad ever even mentioned polygyny in general terms as Biblically acceptable, Mom likely wouldn't have stayed married to him for 47 years.

Like several on this forum, the idea of having two wives changed the way I looked at myself, my leadership, & my love for my wife. As I have grown over the last 7 years to be more the husband I should have been all along, my wife keeps finding it easier & easier to submit to me & my leadership. By proving myself in small things, she's willing to submit in bigger things.

Instead of dismissing fear, I'm helping her deal w them. Truths are coming out that she's been hiding from herself for 30 years. She's growing slowly, but w God's patience she'll get there.

-TNF

Sudden Spike In Women Advocating For Traditional Gender Roles Now That WW3 Starting

February 25th, 2022 - BelongingBaby.com
article-10585-1.jpg

U.S.—Women all over America have suddenly abandoned their feminist ideologies and are now advocating for traditional gender roles now that World War III has begun. They've quit jobs and, if single, have begun searching for a man to marry so they can have as many kids as possible as quickly as possible.
"I don't know what we were thinking!" said Millie Walruscatcher of Los Angeles [remainder at: https://babylonbee.com/news/sudden-...raditional-gender-roles-now-that-ww3-starting]

Are they actually advocating trad roles for themselves, or just trad roles for men?... ie go and fight/die to protect them from this new perceived danger. I speak to the portion of this satire that is indicative of what's actually happening out there.

I’d date Millie Walruscatcher, it sounds like a useful skill set for a wife to possess.
You’d be the walrus, right?

I mean, role playing is cool.
Whatever floats your boat. 😉

“CNN's Brian Stelter has reportedly expressed frustration that he cannot become a homemaker”

Maybe the Secretary of Transportation has an opening in his “family”?

Are they actually advocating trad roles for themselves, or just trad roles for men?... ie go and fight/die to protect them from this new perceived danger. I speak to the portion of this satire that is indicative of what's actually happening out there.
Both, it appears.

Back