• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Adoption info please

torahlovesalvation

Real Person
A very real scenario of TLS2 and I adopting my brother's children has come to our attention. I know nothing on the procedure here. For example, does it make a difference that he's my family versus an orphanage or foster parent. Does that make it easier or harder? Thanks for any and all input

I am not really sure but my opinion is that it might.be harder adopting a family members child. There can be a lot of controversy in family member adoptions.
J.Hunt

I know of an intra-family adoption (a woman that adopted her sister's newborn) that was completely painless. If all parties involved are on board, it shouldn't be a problem.

TLS, I've never adopted, nor do I even pretend to understand the complexities, but I suspect this varies from state to state.

Yeah, if you're even half-serious you need to find a lawyer in the appropriate jurisdiction and get a consultation.

Yep get a lawyer. Should be easier. Once you do, make sure that you and everybody else knows that they are your kids! No foolin! Don't put up with any shenanigans from the rest of the family. We have some good friends that adopted from two sides of the family. It was pretty rough till they let everyone else know with no uncertain terms where the lines were drawn.

My wife and I trained for adoption in Arizona, so I can only tell you about state relevant information, and it will probably vary depending on the state. Here there are organizations that will help you go through the procedure, and will actually pay for the legal fees if it comes to that stage.

We had a number of people adopting their grandkids, or other in the family situations. It seems like they would rather the children remain in their birth family, if possible, as a matter of policy. I would suggest finding out what your local agencies are.

If you want to talk further, send me a private message, and I would be happy to talk it over further.

Same for Texas. fwiw.

I am new to this site. I hope it is ok that as a newbie I replie. We have adopted four children from the state of Iowa.all where relatives first was my bio sister who had lost 2 children to the state. WE adopted the girl. Back then we did not have to take classes and such. WE did have to "show" we would care for her and had the means to do so. Seven years ago or so. My oldest lost her three. Shortly after we adopted the boys. And a year later or so the girl. With them we had to take classes with others that was looking to foster or adopt. They where long. And left the children with sitters in the evening for weeks. I just shook my head with how can I give them stability doing the same that had been done and farm them out more than have them . With both sets of adoptions from: removed to congratulations they are yours took about two years jumping thru many hoops. I was part of a few adoption groups and know a few that adopted private from family members. Those where just a matter of paying lawyers and getting paperwork done going before a judge. Then the hard part was holidays and other family members.
I wish you luck. All states are not the same. Feel free to talk to me .
Dee

Back