• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Age requirements for the forum

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Occasionally we have enquiries about the lower age limit for participation in the forum, and I feel I need to clarify this, as the policy we use behind the scenes is not clearly stated on the forum.

A person needs to be at least 13 years old to have an account on the forum. This is a legal requirement as this forum is hosted in the USA, and the Childrens Online Privacy Protection Rule places particular requirements on websites that knowingly have accounts belonging to children under 13 - requirements which we do not attempt to comply with as there is no need for children to participate here. This is incidentally the same reason that all social networks say that users must be over 13 (even if they do not enforce that rule).

The primary purpose of this forum is to support people in their marriages. It is therefore not relevant to anybody who is too young to seriously consider marriage. As a result, we would not expect most people under the age of 18 to find this forum relevant to them, and would expect to find most users to be at least that age. But that is not a rule, as there are obviously some individuals for whom these issues are relevant at a younger age. For example:
  • Marriage ages in law and custom vary around the world, so there are individuals in many countries who must grapple with these issues at ages below the norm in Western countries.
  • Underage sexual behaviour is becoming increasingly common in Western secular culture, and as a result some people may have to grapple with the issue of what to do about past behaviour at less than desirable ages.
  • Some Godly teenagers may wish to study marriage and understand it clearly before they reach a legal marriage age.
As a result, this forum is open to anybody over the age of 13 for whom the issue of marriage is personally relevant.

However, it is anticipated that the vast majority of members will be over the legal age of consent & legal marriage age in their jurisdiction of residence - and few people below that age ever sign up. In those rare cases where a younger person has a legitimate reason to have an account on the forum, the forum staff take a very close interest in their welfare, both to ensure that they receive the assistance they are here to receive and to protect them from potential inappropriate approaches by other users. This usually includes placing protective restrictions on their account.

Last edited:
It is therefore not relevant to anybody who is too young to seriously consider marriage. As a result, we would not expect most people under the age of 18 to find this forum relevant to them, and would expect to find most users to be at least that age.

I think 13-18 is exactly the right time to be thinking about marriage, building your skill-sets, expectations and virtues for that.

Otherwise they're just thinking about things which lead them in the opposite direction.

I think 13-18 is exactly the right time to be thinking about marriage, building your skill-sets, expectations and virtues for that.

Otherwise they're just thinking about things which lead them in the opposite direction.
I wasn't ready for marriage mentally or emotionally until about 20. My mom had taught me lots of needlework skills, and I had practice cooking, but that was it for my preparedness.
My main thing I pursued before marriage was horses, learning to train and understand them. That phased out fast with motherhood.

I think our daughters will be better prepared.
Time will tell.

Occasionally we have enquiries about the lower age limit for participation in the forum, and I feel I need to clarify this, as the policy we use behind the scenes is not clearly stated on the forum.

A person needs to be at least 13 years old to have an account on the forum. This is a legal requirement as this forum is hosted in the USA, and the Childrens Online Privacy Protection Rule places particular requirements on websites that knowingly have accounts belonging to children under 13 - requirements which we do not attempt to comply with as there is no need for children to participate here. This is incidentally the same reason that all social networks say that users must be over 13 (even if they do not enforce that rule).

The primary purpose of this forum is to support people in their marriages. It is therefore not relevant to anybody who is too young to seriously consider marriage. As a result, we would not expect most people under the age of 18 to find this forum relevant to them, and would expect to find most users to be at least that age. But that is not a rule, as there are obviously some individuals for whom these issues are relevant at a younger age. For example:
  • Marriage ages in law and custom vary around the world, so there are individuals in many countries who must grapple with these issues at ages below the norm in Western countries.
  • Underage sexual behaviour is becoming increasingly common in Western secular culture, and as a result some people may have to grapple with the issue of what to do about past behaviour at less than desirable ages.
  • Some Godly teenagers may wish to study marriage and understand it clearly before they reach a legal marriage age.
As a result, this forum is open to anybody over the age of 13 for whom the issue of marriage is personally relevant.

However, it is anticipated that the vast majority of members will be over the legal age of consent & legal marriage age in their jurisdiction of residence - and few people below that age ever sign up. In those rare cases where a younger person has a legitimate reason to have an account on the forum, the forum staff take a very close interest in their welfare, both to ensure that they receive the assistance they are here to receive and to protect them from potential inappropriate approaches by other users. This usually includes placing protective restrictions on their account.
Watching an episode of Little House on the prairie with my 'ishshah, a girl was betrothed with her fathers permission at the age of 13yrs.

Watching an episode of Little House on the prairie with my 'ishshah, a girl was betrothed with her fathers permission at the age of 13yrs.
Dadgum!
I don’t recall that being an issue when it was running.
Yes, I am that old. But I missed meeting Noah by a few years.

Governments have tried to control this age over the millenia but overall they were consistently limited to 12 to 14 years old until the last 100 years of so. I do recall that episode as we have it on DVD and our kids still love the show. Key is teaching our young people how to be adults, good partners and followers of Yah.

Waiting until later in life brings its own challenges. Many don't make it to their marriage night as we pressure them to wait until their 25 and have a solid job etc. Like Paul told us if you can abstain great do so if you can't it is better to be prepared to marry than it is to fornicate.

Back