• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Ahab and Jezebel

^_^

from many sites I've been to, Ahab and Jezebel have been cast as the 'evil' monogamist idealists.
Yet according to 2Ki 10:1 Ahab had 70 sons, and I'd dare say Jezebel didn't mother all those. I guess it's possible as some say that grandsons were sometimes counted as sons. Dunno

Now, my question is this, if all these sons were literally Ahabs, and he had multiple wives, why is it that Jezebel is always cast as an anti-polygynous person?
Not only that, but how could a woman who seems so evil and controlling in every way put up with her husband having several wives. Or, is it possible that Ahab was more passive aggressive and only had a monogamous marriage but slept around at will?
Is there any insight into this in any Scripture or rabbinical writings that anyone is aware of?
Thanks in advance for shedding light on this thing that teases my brain.

^_^ said:
from many sites I've been to, Ahab and Jezebel have been cast as the 'evil' monogamist idealists.
Yet according to 2Ki 10:1 Ahab had 70 sons, and I'd dare say Jezebel didn't mother all those. I guess it's possible as some say that grandsons were sometimes counted as sons. Dunno

Now, my question is this, if all these sons were literally Ahabs, and he had multiple wives, why is it that Jezebel is always cast as an anti-polygynous person?
Not only that, but how could a woman who seems so evil and controlling in every way put up with her husband having several wives. Or, is it possible that Ahab was more passive aggressive and only had a monogamous marriage but slept around at will?
Is there any insight into this in any Scripture or rabbinical writings that anyone is aware of?
Thanks in advance for shedding light on this thing that teases my brain.

Hello,

I am not one who teaches that Ahab was a monogamist. He was certainly a polygnynist. 1 Kings 20:1-7 makes this abundantly clear. You should take note of verse 3 and 7:

1Ki 20:1 And Benhadad the king of Syria gathered all his host together: and there were thirty and two kings with him, and horses, and chariots: and he went up and besieged Samaria, and warred against it.
1Ki 20:2 And he sent messengers to Ahab king of Israel into the city, and said unto him, Thus saith Benhadad,
1Ki 20:3 Thy silver and thy gold is mine; thy wives also and thy children, even the goodliest, are mine.
1Ki 20:4 And the king of Israel answered and said, My lord, O king, according to thy saying, I am thine, and all that I have.
1Ki 20:5 And the messengers came again, and said, Thus speaketh Benhadad, saying, Although I have sent unto thee, saying, Thou shalt deliver me thy silver, and thy gold, and thy wives, and thy children;
1Ki 20:6 Yet I will send my servants unto thee to morrow about this time, and they shall search thine house, and the houses of thy servants; and it shall be, that whatsoever is pleasant in thine eyes, they shall put it in their hand, and take it away.
1Ki 20:7 Then the king of Israel called all the elders of the land, and said, Mark, I pray you, and see how this man seeketh mischief: for he sent unto me for my wives, and for my children, and for my silver, and for my gold; and I denied him not.

Thanks for the references from Scripture on this one, DaPastor. I am also not one who teaches such about Ahab and Jezebel, but I do think that the spirit of Jezebel is one of the primary drivers behind modern anti-patriarchal (and vehemently anti-Biblical) feminism. Since such is often loudly associated with the worship of monogamy as a New Age idol, I can understand why some might make the mistaken connection.

What really is more important to note, however, is that Jezebel rejected her husband's authority, and attempted to set herself up not only in headship, but ultimately as an idol - and used every trick in the Book to do so.

This topic reminds me that there is an excellent book (should still be available on-line for free; do a web search, OK - I found at least one good link :) ) on the topic of monogamy as an outgrowth of paganism. It's by J. Wesley Stivers, and is called Eros Made Sacred:

http://familyabbeys.org/eros.htm

It has quite a few interesting observations, and presents a very bold and even controversial thesis.

Blessings,

Mark C said:

Thanks for the references from Scripture on this one, DaPastor. I am also not one who teaches such about Ahab and Jezebel, but I do think that the spirit of Jezebel is one of the primary drivers behind modern anti-patriarchal (and vehemently anti-Biblical) feminism. Since such is often loudly associated with the worship of monogamy as a New Age idol, I can understand why some might make the mistaken connection.

What really is more important to note, however, is that Jezebel rejected her husband's authority, and attempted to set herself up not only in headship, but ultimately as an idol - and used every trick in the Book to do so.

This topic reminds me that there is an excellent book (should still be available on-line for free; do a web search, OK - I found at least one good link :) ) on the topic of monogamy as an outgrowth of paganism. It's by J. Wesley Stivers, and is called Eros Made Sacred:

http://familyabbeys.org/eros.htm

It has quite a few interesting observations, and presents a very bold and even controversial thesis.

Blessings,

Thanks Mark,

I agree she had a problem with authority, for sure. I think your analysis is true.

Btw, I will take a look at that site. I have seen the title you mentioned many times, but I just haven't had the time to read it. I am attempting to collect every book I can on polygyny, both pro and con, as resource material.

That site is a very long page, it has some good theories I can relate to, but I'll confess to not understanding everything as far as polygyny being a major part of the restoration of all things.
I do see the value in headship the way it should work in the polygynous setting, but it's obvious from the relationship of Ahab and Jezebel that it does not guarantee proper headship.

I do see the value in headship the way it should work in the polygynous setting, but it's obvious from the relationship of Ahab and Jezebel that it does not guarantee proper headship.

I had to re-read this to make sure I thought I understood what you were getting at...

There's nothing in polygyny per se that "guarantees" proper headship. In fact, far from it. (Of course, the same can be said of monogamy, or the "serial monogamy" that runs rampant in post-Biblical Amerika today. :cry: )

On this score, I might even paraphrase Lewis Carroll's Humpty Dumpty, "It's about Who is to be Master, that is all. ;)

Unless He is, our best efforts will fall short.

Back