• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Alabama might eliminate marriage licenses.

Figures they had to continue to enforce monogamy, but it's actually a reasonable move in the right direction.

That's the bigamy statute. The cohabitation mentioned there is only in the case of someone who contracted a marriage in another jurisdiction that was not bigamous there but is bigamous in Alabama. In other words, you don't have to actually get married in Alabama to commit bigamy. You could get married in a jurisdicition where your marriage is legit, but if you bring it to AL, you've committed bigamy. It doesn't speak to 'mere' cohabitation.

Last edited:
Alabama is considering getting rid of marriage licenses. They retained only three state restrictions. Unfortunately, no polygamy is one of them.

Article here.
Progress is progress.

I saw this coming. And I don't expect it to settle out anytime soon. Having fought their way into the party thinking that would mean acceptance, they'll instead see the party breaking up with many guests leaving to avoid them and they will not be pleased.

I wonder how this will affect things like fiance' visas. Fiance' visa is the easiest way to get a prospective foreign spouse in the country if they are from a 2nd or 3rd world area. The fiance' then has 3 months to marry or leave. I wonder how the Feds will work with Alabama; will a simple state recorded "yep, they married somewhere" work?

I wonder how this will affect things like fiance' visas. Fiance' visa is the easiest way to get a prospective foreign spouse in the country if they are from a 2nd or 3rd world area. The fiance' then has 3 months to marry or leave. I wonder how the Feds will work with Alabama; will a simple state recorded "yep, they married somewhere" work?
3 months is unfair and messed up. It costs thousands and it's a bad deal. Believe me, it's a scam. It should be morenlike one year, not three months. Then you have to do an affidavit of support, if they leave you, you are still responsable and you may be made to pay for what benefits they get away from you. It's a mess..

Back