• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Am I worthy?

Scarecrow

I have often struggled through the tests in life that God sets before me, as everyone has. I was pretty proud of myself a few years ago when I came to the realization that testing led to the building of my character, and my character is the only thing I get to take with me to heaven. But just this morning I had an epiphany about testing.

I have read posts by individuals requesting prayer and others requesting moral support and I began to contemplate testing again. Most of the night I couldn't sleep because I am struggling with a number of major tests in my own life, and I know a dear friend is being tested severely at this time as well. As I laid awake I thought about all the circumstances currently in my life and how in the past I have fallen into little pity parties and thought "what's the use!" I didn't want to have that feeling of futility again and finally I just fell asleep.

When I woke up this morning I was tired and just laid there in bed thinking about testing again. The word perseverance came to mind, like a long distance runner persevering to finish the race even if he didn't win. As obvious as it should be I had never put the two together as they came together this morning. I realized that part of testing, character building, was to improve my ability to persevere. I thought about how those that give up never see the finish line, and those that finish never forget it. I thought about the many years of study and all the tests a scholar has to take to earn a few initials behind his name and how he must have persevered to earn them - few ever do. I thought about how few if any of the things in life worth having come easy.

Luke 18:1-5 And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. He said, "In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected man. And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, 'Give me justice against my adversary.' For a while he refused, but afterward he said to himself, 'Though I neither fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will not beat me down by her continual coming.'"

James 1:25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

I realized just this morning that perseverance is what makes me worthy of the prize, and the prize is the reward for overcoming the test(s). Once I saw things from that perspective my resolve to overcome was strengthened significantly. Now I intend to focus on the prize and not the struggles that lead to it. I get to keep the prize, the struggles only serve to strengthen me.

Am I worthy? Yes, I am a child of God.

Will I see the prize? Yes, if I persevere.

Good things to think on, Scarecrow. Thanks for sharing.

Brother, what a refreshing truth.

Character is often best seen through trials and trials are designed by God in order to strengthen us in the character trait of perseverance. Our spiritual muscles are grown in hanging on in tough times.

You are a dear blessing brother for this reminder!

I came across these verses and thought they were appropriate as well.

Galatians 6:9-10 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

I have often struggled through the tests in life that God sets before me, as everyone has. I was pretty proud of myself a few years ago when I came to the realization that testing led to the building of my character, and my character is the only thing I get to take with me to heaven. But just this morning I had an epiphany about testing.

I have read posts by individuals requesting prayer and others requesting moral support and I began to contemplate testing again. Most of the night I couldn't sleep because I am struggling with a number of major tests in my own life, and I know a dear friend is being tested severely at this time as well. As I laid awake I thought about all the circumstances currently in my life and how in the past I have fallen into little pity parties and thought "what's the use!" I didn't want to have that feeling of futility again and finally I just fell asleep.

When I woke up this morning I was tired and just laid there in bed thinking about testing again. The word perseverance came to mind, like a long distance runner persevering to finish the race even if he didn't win. As obvious as it should be I had never put the two together as they came together this morning. I realized that part of testing, character building, was to improve my ability to persevere. I thought about how those that give up never see the finish line, and those that finish never forget it. I thought about the many years of study and all the tests a scholar has to take to earn a few initials behind his name and how he must have persevered to earn them - few ever do. I thought about how few if any of the things in life worth having come easy.

Luke 18:1-5 And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. He said, "In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected man. And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, 'Give me justice against my adversary.' For a while he refused, but afterward he said to himself, 'Though I neither fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will not beat me down by her continual coming.'"

James 1:25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

I realized just this morning that perseverance is what makes me worthy of the prize, and the prize is the reward for overcoming the test(s). Once I saw things from that perspective my resolve to overcome was strengthened significantly. Now I intend to focus on the prize and not the struggles that lead to it. I get to keep the prize, the struggles only serve to strengthen me.

Am I worthy? Yes, I am a child of God.

Will I see the prize? Yes, if I persevere.
This may have been written in 2011, but it is still a good reminder for me in 2023.

I hope you are still preserving for Christ, 12 years later.

Back