• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

And the contention was so sharp

Maddog

Male
TRM rightly again pointed us in the direction of Acts 15. I paused as I found the words, "...and the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder..." I would like to think that godly men (and women) would divide over meaningful scriptural dispute but it seems that this was not the case. Earlier in the chapter it seems as though they all were unified in NOT keeping the Law in order to be saved, a point at which I as well agree. There was however something so distasteful between Paul and JohnMark that they said(probably old man Paul) in essence, "I can't handle you anymore!" (or words similar to that)(oh yea, that's eisegesis!). Two thousand years later we can only guess what that was, but that is not my emphasis here nor the author of record, Dr Luke. It then hands off to us the lesson of division over issues not important to doctrine. (One of my ick factors would be bad body odor and severe bad breath to which I mutter, "Hey dude, get a little closer to that bar of soap and toothpaste, puhleese!") My point is that we can find anything under the sun to divide over. Let's not do that! However, rest assured that God's plan for the salvation of souls carried on anyway in that the two teams split up and their division served to increase the spread of the Gospel IN SPITE of their (or our) ick factors.
I have seen too many instances of division over petty things in the Assembly- the nursery staffing, the color of the carpet, the PMS of the pastors wife, service times, yada yada waaay too long by pastor, (I hope I am communicating effectively).

However, rest assured that God's plan for the salvation of souls carried on anyway in that the two teams split up and their division served to increase the spread of the Gospel IN SPITE of their (or our) ick factors.
A schism that results in one congregation founding a second congregation and growing into two as large as the first, can be a good thing. We have seen it before - years ago we attended a church in Ireland whose policy on church growth was to, when growing out of their hall, identify which village the largest number of members were attending from and plant a second congregation there. They'd have a pastor and an assistant pastor, and by the time of the next split the assistant would be trained up enough to lead one of the congregations. After doing this a couple of times, and having one painful schism which had the same result, one congregation became four in the space of about 5 years, giving a local presence in four different towns.

A schism that results in one congregation founding a second congregation and growing into two as large as the first, can be a good thing. We have seen it before - years ago we attended a church in Ireland whose policy on church growth was to, when growing out of their hall, identify which village the largest number of members were attending from and plant a second congregation there. They'd have a pastor and an assistant pastor, and by the time of the next split the assistant would be trained up enough to lead one of the congregations. After doing this a couple of times, and having one painful schism which had the same result, one congregation became four in the space of about 5 years, giving a local presence in four different towns.
This also meant they didn't have to try to build a bigger church to accommodate everyone. Most churches when they get too big want everyone to donate so they can build a million dollar church. This church was hiring town halls, so there was very little cost.

This also meant they didn't have to try to build a bigger church to accommodate everyone. Most churches when they get too big want everyone to donate so they can build a million dollar church. This church was hiring town halls, so there was very little cost.
It also more closely resembles the house churches in Acts.
Big churches are are something that the Protestants did not leave behind with the universal (catholic) church.

Back