• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Anniversary 44

A

Anonymous

Today marks the 44th anniversary of my marriage to Sonja Paulette (Teague) Whitten. She is a wonderful lady whom I love with all my heart. We are on a long journey that seems to have begun just yesterday. I look into her face today and see the same girl I fell in love with in 1966. There have been great adventures on the journey and there have been many more days of normal life. Through it all we have journeyed on, endeavoring to keep close to each other and serve the Lord to the best of our ability. We have been blessed with three wonderful children and nine extremely talented and beautiful grandchildren :D (grandparents get to brag).

Through all these years it is evident that God has been very good to us. There have been many medical conditions (20+ major surgeries) that were severe, the second of which, had it not been for the grace and goodness of God would have deprived me of my wife and the first child and therefore the subsequent children. We have lived in six states, moved often (one year 5 times), in each place she has made our dwelling a home. We have lived in houses that were literally falling apart, some roach infested and on to some really nice places, but each place she has made a warm, comfortable refuge from the world. I do not regret having traveled the pathway we have traveled. I treasure my family more than I can express and I doubt we would be the people we are today if it were not for our journey.

Almost our entire journey we have been on the struggling edge of finance, but we have never lacked food, shelter or clothing. We have never owned a new vehicle or a piece of real estate. We are investing in the New Jerusalem so we may retire in style.

Sonja has been my faithful, loving, constant companion on this journey of life that frequently puzzles her as to why I would go or be such. Yet, she has always been there at my side. I thank God for her and endeavor as often as possible to express to her in word and deed how important she is to me. Sonja is a great wife, mother, home-maker, cook, driver, artist, teacher and so much more, but most important, she has given me her heart, as I endeavor to lead us in the service of our Lord. She is a wonderful Christian woman who has her faults as we all do, but somehow I can't recall now what they are. She is very strong-willed and tenderhearted. She loves the Lord and her family with all her heart, I am so blessed to have her for my wife. Forty-four years is short time.

Beautiful! And I agree...44 years is a very short time. I'm surprised that there's someone who's been married longer than we have! Don't run across them just every day. :lol:

What a beautiful tribute to your marriage! Your wife sounds like an amazing lady and I pray the Lord blesses you both with many more wonderful years.

Katie

Congratulations, John & Sonja!

The word for today is "MELT". :D
Awww, that is so sweet. It's so very nice to hear (read) a man speaking so lovingly of his wife and not just how "she's finally learned how to press my shirts the right way". :p
I would have to agree with Donnag, it's not very often anymore these days that people are willing to stick out the thick and thin for that long.

Back