• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Are marriage and childbearing promoted in the bible?

A line of questioning I would like to present to the forum.
What does God say about a woman's rights to seek a family to be a part of? Is it a factor with Him?

My thoughts are that it is God's desire that no christian woman be outside of a family fending for herself.

The first woman was not created independently of the man. When she was formed, the man was already here.

Now if a lady is under the care of her father, well then she is part of a family. But should be be single and not being supported by anyone but herself, does she have an inalienable right to procure a husband even if there are no single men? I would say yes.

There are some passages that relate to this. Can anyone help me find them? I will post more later.

if our Creator said that it was not good for adam to be alone, i am guessing that it is not His intention for women to be alone either.

I was thinking of something more along the lines of
Exodus 21:10-11
If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money.

The above passage contains a specific principle that goes something like this: If a man demonstrates that he has the means and capability of providing and fails to do so to one of the parties, then that party is released from further obligation. At least that is what it appears to be saying.

Numbers ch. 36 has something to say about inheritance and how every Israeli girl should be married.

The reason that I'm brining all of this up is because I'm working on a thesis that shows that any supposed notions of monogamy being some ideal is negated by the inalienable right of all women to seek positions as wives/childbearers.

you would not see being alone as an unatural state that no woman should be forced to remain in?

but no, i do not think that you are going to find any specific verses.

Memphis Dwight said:
I was thinking of something more along the lines of
Exodus 21:10-11
If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money.

The above passage contains a specific principle that goes something like this: If a man demonstrates that he has the means and capability of providing and fails to do so to one of the parties, then that party is released from further obligation. At least that is what it appears to be saying.

Numbers ch. 36 has something to say about inheritance and how every Israeli girl should be married.

The reason that I'm brining all of this up is because I'm working on a thesis that shows that any supposed notions of monogamy being some ideal is negated by the inalienable right of all women to seek positions as wives/childbearers.

I agree with what your saying here but that argument would only work if there were no single men.. The opponents would say if your basing your belief in polygamy on a potential problem that all the men could be married with women left out then as long as that problem isn't present there is no "need" for polygamy.

Back