• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Are you IFB?

NeoPatriarch

Real Person
Male
I had a young woman at work ask me why polygamy wasn't adultery in the story of David. She is single and just shy of 30. She is active in a local independent fundamental Baptist church. We frequently talk theology, so I don't think this was any different in nature.

I talked to her about the Hebrew word, naaph. I'm not sure what impacted if any they had, but we shall see.

It made me curious if there were any IFB on here? And if so is there anything I should be aware of theologically speaking when talking about such issues?

Thanks in advance.

I had a young woman at work ask me why polygamy wasn't adultery in the story of David. She is single and just shy of 30. She is active in a local independent fundamental Baptist church. We frequently talk theology, so I don't think this was any different in nature.

I talked to her about the Hebrew word, naaph. I'm not sure what impacted if any they had, but we shall see.

It made me curious if there were any IFB on here? And if so is there anything I should be aware of theologically speaking when talking about such issues?

Thanks in advance.

I was raised IFB and I am currently independent Baptist. I have major qualms about the fundamentalist movement and I will not label myself that way. I’m not exactly sure what your asking. One major stand that most IFB churches have is KJV only but that is not universal. Other than that I would say stick to only scripture 66 books she will likely reject anything from the apocrypha and if you reference something from Roman Catholicism in a positive way she will likely be skeptical of that as well.

Yeah, I don't expect took much. Just thought it would be worth knowing if any IFB were poly pro, and how they harmonized they with their faith.

Thanks in advance.
How did the "naaph" talk go? I'd be interested to hear what points you went over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I don't expect took much. Just thought it would be worth knowing if any IFB were poly pro, and how they harmonized they with their faith.

The fact that we are Independent means we reject the idea of a denomination and view denominations as unscriptural. So it’s hard to answer about the poly acceptance vs mono only viewpoint. It depends on the particular church she attends... I would be surprised if they were not “mono only” based on what I know about most IFB churches.

Most IFB claim to live by the creed “the Bible is my sole authority for faith and the practice of that faith” so if you can get her to see that it’s scriptural she is more likely to accept it. Part of my qualms with the fundamentalists movement is that it created a peer pressure driven hierarchy amongst a group of churches that claim to be independent. So that creed they claim to hold to is often ignored because of the outside pressure from other “like minded” churches.

Last edited:
How did the "naaph" talk go? I'd be interested to hear what points you went over.

I don't know. She didn't even question it. It's hard to judge because we were working too. She doesn't speak much about the original language, so it may not be as effective an argument for her as I find it to be.

The fact that we are Independent means we reject the idea of a denomination and view denominations as unscriptural. So it’s hard to answer about the poly acceptance vs mono only viewpoint. It depends on the particular church she attends... I would be surprised if they were not “mono only” based on what I know about most IFB churches.

Most IFB claim to live by the creed “the Bible is my sole authority for faith and the practice of that faith” so if you can get her to see that it’s scriptural she is more likely to accept it. Part of my qualms with the fundamentalists movement is that it created a peer pressure driven hierarchy amongst a group of churches that claim to be independent. So that creed they claim to hold to is often ignored because of the outside pressure from other “like minded” churches.
I'll definitely have to bring that up. I wonder if that's written down in a church constitution. Would an IFB church have such a document?

I don't know. She didn't even question it. It's hard to judge because we were working too. She doesn't speak much about the original language, so it may not be as effective an argument for her as I find it to be.

That's another common thing for IFB most will only look at original language if they are having trouble understanding a passage. They almost subscribe to the idea of double inspiration with some even claiming that the KJV is superior to the transcripts it was translated from. So probably best to stick with the English. And you can totally prove poly from the kjv if you do your homework. I actually came to this conclusion without looking at anything else...

Just for the record I personally do not believe in double inspiration...

I'll definitely have to bring that up. I wonder if that's written down in a church constitution. Would an IFB church have such a document?

Yes they will likely have a church constitution and a statement of faith...

This pretty much mirrors my experience with that movement. Because of "independence" you can't pin down any single thing each congregation or groups of fellowships believe, but pretty much what @Pacman said.

I believe the Duggars are IFB.

This pretty much mirrors my experience with that movement. Because of "independence" you can't pin down any single thing each congregation or groups of fellowships believe, but pretty much what @Pacman said.

I believe the Duggars are IFB.
The Duggars are Gothardites (my term), admirers of Bill Gothard. If he's still alive he's a strange little man (and a very old one). Many of his ideas were actually quite good by much of his fruit was not. The Gothardites were the epitome of weird, failed to launch homeschool kids.

Which story of David?

Specifically, she started with Bathsheba, but her inquiry was about these other wives. I suspect she was also referencing a previous conversation regarding God's statements about David doing "what was right in the eyes of the Lord". This had baffled her.

I did mention that David already had a number of wives before God gave him Saul's wives, and would have given him even more...

So that part of David's story.

Just for clarification, the Duggars aren't poly people. Right?

No they aren’t. And yes they are independent Baptist im not aware of them being fundamentalist. Also I’m pretty sure Zec is right they follow Gothard pretty closely as did several in the church I was raised in. Mrs. Duggar’s brother actually attendes that church and I graduated high school with his daughter. Small world...

No they aren’t. And yes they are independent Baptist im not aware of them being fundamentalist. Also I’m pretty sure Zec is right they follow Gothard pretty closely as did several in the church I was raised in. Mrs. Duggar’s brother actually attendes that church and I graduated high school with his daughter. Small world...
Oh that's disappointing. I thought I was learning something cool.

On the other hand, I did learn that not all independent Baptist are fundamentalist. That's an important clarification.

Thanks Pac-Man

Back