• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Backward Text

The Revolting Man

Staff member
Real Person
Male
Ish turn off your secret Jewish caps lock that lets you write backwards you cheater! I tried to reply to the post and even my text was typing backwards. I am suspicious if everyone who like the post was able to read it all. I thought it was one of those facebook click bait things, 95% of people aren't smart enough to read this post. Are you?

I've tried replying to his post, and didn't see any issues, my typing went forwards. If you think there's a technical issue here to look into, then please say exactly what you did and how to replicate it, so I can see what's going on.
Maybe my Linux computer is just too smart to be fooled by secret Jewish caps locks.

I've tried replying to his post, and didn't see any issues, my typing went forwards. If you think there's a technical issue here to look into, then please say exactly what you did and how to replicate it, so I can see what's going on.
Maybe my Linux computer is just too smart to be fooled by secret Jewish caps locks.
I was able to reproduce the issue in the text editor window, but when I posted it, it fixed itself (and I immediately deleted my post).

Try this:

- Highlight just the Hebrew portion of Ish's post and hit the "Reply" on the little popup bubble.

- The end-quote portion looks like its at the beginning of the quote, and is spelled backwards (Note: I removed the E in QUOTE below to avoid triggering the actual formatting, because I'm too lazy to look up the code for unformatted text):

[QUOT][ETOUQ/]<Backwards Hebrew stuff>

- Your cursor will be at the beginning of the following line.

- Now backspace, or click at the end of the line of Hebrew text, and start typing. It should all be backwards.

[QUOT]...tset a si sihT[ETOUQ/]<Backwards Hebrew stuff>

(Also, I'm on Windows 10 using the Brave browser, in case it matters)

Last edited:
Well if you look at his post the bottom part is backwards English text. I tried to respond to tease him and somehow my text was all typing backwards and I couldn't get it to stop. I was on my Windows phone which I think is using Windows 10 but I don't really know.

Touché.

I was able to reproduce the issue in the text editor window, but when I posted it, it fixed itself (and I immediately deleted my post).

Try this:

- Highlight just the Hebrew portion of Ish's post and hit the "Reply" on the little popup bubble.

- The end-quote portion looks like its at the beginning of the quote, and is spelled backwards (Note: I removed the E in QUOTE below to avoid triggering the actual formatting, because I'm too lazy to look up the code for unformatted text):

[QUOT][ETOUQ/]<Backwards Hebrew stuff>

- Your cursor will be at the beginning of the following line.

- Now backspace, or click at the end of the line of Hebrew text, and start typing. It should all be backwards.

[QUOT]...tset a si sihT[ETOUQ/]<Backwards Hebrew stuff>

(Also, I'm on Windows 10 using the Brave browser, in case it matters)
It was reported to me:
One of my older posts which had embedded Hebrew in the post, the English part of the post was all backwards when viewed on Internet Explorer in Windows 10.

On the matter of backward text, I did a little research and found this:

At the point where @IshChayil began typing Hebrew in his mixed-language post earlier in this thread, an invisible character was inserted that tells computers to render the characters from right to left, thus overriding the left-to-right direction of English. This invisible character is called, fittingly enough, a "right-to-left-override" (or RLO for short).

The following line of numbers, typed in ascending order from 1 to 6, has an RLO between the 3 and 4:

123‮456‬​

If you see "123654" then your computer has support for bi-directional text.

Editing text that has an RLO hiding in it can be tricky but that doesn't mean your system has a problem.

Some systems do render things incorrectly, however. For instance a reversal in one line is not supposed to extend into subsequent lines. If the following line is backwards then the app or operating system you're using may lack full Unicode-BiDi compliance‮:

Testing 1-2-3​

‬Ish, to prevent "Jewish caps lock" from affecting subsequent non-Hebrew text, you can insert a "pop-directional-formatting" character (U+202C) at the end of each Hebrew section, though I'm not sure how one would enter it on your system. One site says to type "Alt +202C" on Windows. On macOS I found it in the Characters palette.

On the matter of backward text, I did a little research and found this:

At the point where @IshChayil began typing Hebrew in his mixed-language post earlier in this thread, an invisible character was inserted that tells computers to render the characters from right to left, thus overriding the left-to-right direction of English. This invisible character is called, fittingly enough, a "right-to-left-override" (or RLO for short).

The following line of numbers, typed in ascending order from 1 to 6, has an RLO between the 3 and 4:

123‮456‬​

If you see "123654" then your computer has support for bi-directional text.

Editing text that has an RLO hiding in it can be tricky but that doesn't mean your system has a problem.

Some systems do render things incorrectly, however. For instance a reversal in one line is not supposed to extend into subsequent lines. If the following line is backwards then the app or operating system you're using may lack full Unicode-BiDi compliance‮:

Testing 1-2-3​

‬Ish, to prevent "Jewish caps lock" from affecting subsequent non-Hebrew text, you can insert a "pop-directional-formatting" character (U+202C) at the end of each Hebrew section, though I'm not sure how one would enter it on your system. One site says to type "Alt +202C" on Windows. On macOS I found it in the Characters palette.
Hey Mystic, nice workaround to prevent this issue for future posts.
The thing is, I find it hard to believe that windows explorer on a windows 10 machine would not have multi-directional text support you know? I mean I have been horrified by Microsoft issues in the past.
Also, the person who reported this to me only saw it on the one (long) post. not on other multilingual posts of mine.

BTW if this helps, I almost always use Chrome (latest version) on windoze. Some of my older posts were done using Chrome on ios but I never do that any more as I can't stand typing lots of text with 2 fingers.
I wonder if in some of those posts something happened that stripped that white-space character when I was posting it and some browsers are just "smart enough" to realize when the text switches to certain font families or addresses in UTF8 space that "of course English must be left to right" and others are depending on that white space character you mentioned for overkill.
I can take the time to be sure to insert it like you recommend but it's really a pain as I very often throw in a Hebrew word then back to English then a Hebrew word then back to English etc.
Are you certain that adding an additional "pop-directional-formatting" character won't cause some abnormality on systems that are rendering the text properly?

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I had fun trying to read the English backwards. It was like a puzzle or a brain teaser. I was reading it on an old Windows phone so there may not be any work around that wouldn't cause even more strange anomalies.

A belated followup:

IshChayil and I looked into it and figured it out: He had pasted Hebrew text from another source that included Latin footnote letters — a, b, c, etc. — and the extra formatting characters were strays left over after he deleted those letters.

Normally those strays don't cause trouble but some versions of Internet Explorer appear to not handle them well. And they can indeed cause unexpected reversals when included in quoted text within a reply. (Really this particular character — the RLO — is one of several that aren't even strictly necessary and current standards discourage their use, but some older sources, such as the one Ish quoted from, still have them.)

So as long as Ish copies from a different Hebrew source, or is careful when removing footnote letters, this odd reversing shouldn't appear in connection with any more of his posts. But of course if it does we should mock him mercilessly. :)

Last edited:
Back