• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Because we are right, we can have grace for the ignorant...

NeoPatriarch

Real Person
Male
We are right and because we are right we are in a position of power. From that position, we can afford to have grace upon those that are ignorant. We do not need to attack the person or persons that hold erroneous beliefs, not their character, their intelligence, or anything else that is irrelevant to the point being advocated. Once we do that, we lose the high ground. Worse still, it has the effect of creating mental barriers in the eyes of those we are trying to win. Many times we succeed only in inoculating those we ridicule against the very position we want them to embrace.

Instead, listen for those attacks against you, and when you hear them celebrate. It means you won. They have run out of rational arguments, and now they turn to the lowest form of debate, the personal attack. Congratulations, you have undermined an erroneous position. It is time to wrap up. Take your victory and go home.

... but, but, but they didn't admit absolute crushing defeat...

And they are not going to. That happens much later between they, themselves, and God.

We are right and because we are right we are in a position of power. From that position, we can afford to have grace upon those that are ignorant. We do not need to attack the person or persons that hold erroneous beliefs, not their character, their intelligence, or anything else that is irrelevant to the point being advocated. Once we do that, we lose the high ground. Worse still, it has the effect of creating mental barriers in the eyes of those we are trying to win. Many times we succeed only in inoculating those we ridicule against the very position we want them to embrace.

Instead, listen for those attacks against you, and when you hear them celebrate. It means you won. They have run out of rational arguments, and now they turn to the lowest form of debate, the personal attack. Congratulations, you have undermined an erroneous position. It is time to wrap up. Take your victory and go home.

... but, but, but they didn't admit absolute crushing defeat...

And they are not going to. That happens much later between they, themselves, and God.

Those are very good points, and important things to remember. Also, we were all once ignorant or misguided on this issue, and other issues that are even more important.

On the other hand, once we clearly lay out the overwhelming Biblical evidence, and the person still clings to error, I begin to wonder about his character (particularly if we are talking about a church leader).

Very well said!
My limited experience agrees with your stated position....that I am sure reflects far more experience.

I'm sure when the day comes, none of us will be arguing with our maker Truth will not at that point be debated, only acknowledged.

Back