• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Bible study + Dating = Good idea or Bad idea

Someone told me that if you date an unmarried woman you should not have Bible study with her until you marry her. They said there were multiple reasons. One reason they said is that if the woman likes you she will lie to you and change her answers so that you do not know what she really believes.

Is it better not to study the Bible with women but secretly try to figure out what they believe about topics without giving them access to a Bible to test them? (Without stealing their Bibles or doing illegal unethical activities of course!)

Please have a discussion on this

hello again dtt,
you always ask such interesting questions. for sure, study the bible with her. she may be faking it, but if you court her for at least a year while studying the bible with her there is a good chance that you will end up on the same page.

not looking into the Word together would be well south of silly.

lol...so it is NOT ok for her to lie to appear good, but it IS ok for you to secretly quiz her on the bible (at least the parts you consider important - not the parts she thought were important enough to read) without giving her access to the bible....I am seriously scratching my head!

OK - so let's take your scenario. You date a girl who "lies" about who she is to snare you in her trap and be forever married to someone that she fundamentally disagrees with? this hypothetical girl sounds a little psycho to me. Most women would welcome an open honest exchange of ideas the same as the man would for the simple reason that they would like to know who they are going to be yoked to as much as you want to know. There is something terribly off by your assumption that a woman wants a man...any man....so much so that she would lie about who she is.

I say pull out the bible and start reading - if she starts yawning or is disinterested then she probably is not the right match for you. If she shows interest but has differing opinions see how the discussion goes - is she pretty much on the the same page? is she willing to hear what you have to say? It will be a good indicator of how the relationship will function long term.

DiscussingTheTopic said:
if the woman likes you she will lie to you and change her answers so that you do not know what she really believes.

Please have a discussion on this

If a someone is a liar about their beliefs, then they will lie about finances, hobbies, and just about everything else as well. The person that said to not study the bible is crazy, and seems to come from an attitude that says to do whatever to get the girl, ignoring the most important concept of CHOOSING WISELY and not setting yourself up for disaster. I wouldn't listen to that person's advice on anything.

Secondly, in my opinion, all interactions between people are better when they are symbiotic, and even though this forum has many wise posters, each question should probably be asked with a suggested solution and they allow others to critique or offer input. Why not think for yourself and put up an answer on your own instead of simply saying something like "Discuss" on your posts. That way is at least makes it look like you are wanting to learn to fish instead of having someone give you a fish.

I am going to agree with Paul on all points. The major criteria for a wife is that she be not only a believer, but a godly woman who will benefit our family and benefit from our family. I suppose the reasoning for not studying together is to avoid establishing a teaching role with a woman that is not your wife, but if she is lacking Biblical counsel then she needs that anyway, whether from a man, a pastor, etc. we are all under authority.

I see a lot of this, especially from you, DTT, asking questions to spark discussion but seemingly adding not a lot to that discussion. Most of us here spend lots of time studying and applying God's Word in all aspects of our lives, and when we have a question it is after considering the practical aspects of commands from God's Word. What you have here is someone's half opinion, that is the action without the reasoning or supporting Scriptures. How about studying your Bible and getting back to the forums with some Scriptures on the topic. Though your desire may be quite profitable, it may also lead to more people sharing opinions without God's Word on the issue. Do you have some passages to consider on this issue? Is this a real life situation you struggle with or just a curiosity?

I think the distinction is with the motivation to have the study. If your motivation is that you are interested in a relationship with someone, then you should honestly study the bible together to determine if you have similar beliefs, are equally yoked and to see if there are some beliefs that you can come to terms on. This establishes the role of the man as her teacher and therefor she begins to look to him to help her find answers to life's questions.

If your goal is to study the bible in an effort to get to know someone you might want to marry, it seems kind of "put up" to me. Why not have a "single's bible study" for any and all singles in the community. There can be a time of study followed by a time of fellowship where people can socialize together, getting to know one another.

Just a thought.

SweetLissa

Hey Mark, that's quite a heavy hand you are wielding. The nature of a forum is to find out others opinion on a given topic. As a student of the Word, I find no "thus saith the Lord" regarding this however, given the wealth of wisdom in this room full of counselors, I am reasonably assured that good practices will rise to the surface and DTT will make a sound decision.
Now my two cents worth: In spite of best intentions by the recipient, if a person in predisposed to misrepresent themselves, few safeguards will work. You can however put in place checks and balances. One check can be another woman who is observant of the situation or a trusted man-friend if you are a woman. If after careful review you deem this person a wholly trustworthy individual then a Bible study with just the two might be appropriate. It could help define the leadership structure a husband would wish to employ.
All of this is not a guarantor of success or truthfulness later on. People are funny (odd really) about relationships. Most of the time their colors are not shown during a bible study. My first wife was very knowledgeable in scriptures but still chose to lie for the first ten years of marriage and her knowledge of scripture did not preclude any arrogance for the following ten years. Our children still believe some of the lies she told. BTW, we met courted and married while in Bible College. We divorced ten years ago.

eternitee said:
this hypothetical girl sounds a little psycho to me. Most women would welcome an open honest exchange of ideas the same as the man would for the simple reason that they would like to know who they are going to be yoked to as much as you want to know. There is something terribly off by your assumption that a woman wants a man...any man....so much so that she would lie about who she is.

Sounds like we have a different sample of women to talk to to figure out how typical it is for women to be dishonest in order to be popular

DiscussingTheTopic said:
Sounds like we have a different sample of women to talk to to figure out how typical it is for women to be dishonest in order to be popular

I would say so. Maybe you need to find a better circle of friends?

eternitee said:
DiscussingTheTopic said:

I would say so. Maybe you need to find a better circle of friends?

How do I find the honest circle of friends?

dtt,
i find that when i focus on being like Yeshua and following in his footsteps, other like-minded people are attracted.

when i focus on endless disputations, for some reason i find my time being taken up by those who would rather talk the talk than walk the walk.

Dating is not Biblical, Courting is which I believe in. Having a elder there that is wise prevents temptations and the emotional connections forming to fast and out of place

date1
dāt/
verb
gerund or present participle: dating
  1. establish or ascertain the date of (an object or event).
    "they date the paintings to 1460–70"
    synonyms: assign a date to, ascertain the date of, put a date on
    "the sculpture can be dated accurately"
    • mark with a date.
      "sign and date the document"
    • have its origin at a particular time; have existed since.
      "the controversy dates back to 1986"
      synonyms: was made in, was built in, originates in, comes from, belongs to, goes back to
      "the building dates from the sixteenth century"
  2. indicate or expose as being old-fashioned.
    "disco—that word alone dates me"
    • seem old-fashioned.
      "a movie that will date quickly"
      synonyms: become old-fashioned, become outmoded, become dated, show its ageMore
      "the best films don't date"
      old-fashioned, outdated, outmoded, passé, behind the times, archaic,obsolete, antiquated;
      unfashionable, unstylish, untrendy;
      crusty, old world, prehistoric, antediluvian;
      informalold hat, out, uncool
      "the graphics look somewhat dated"
      antonyms: modern
  3. go out with (someone in whom one is romantically or sexually interested).
    "my sister's pretty judgmental about the girls I date"
    synonyms: go out with, take out, go around with, be involved with, see, go steady with;More
    datedwoo, court
    "he's dating Jill"
court
kôrt/
verb
dated
gerund or present participle: courting
  1. be involved with romantically, typically with the intention of marrying.
    "he was courting a girl from the neighboring farm"
    synonyms: go out with, pursue, run after, chase; More
    • (of a male bird or other animal) try to attract (a mate).
    • pay special attention to (someone) in an attempt to win their support or favor.
      "Western politicians courted the leaders of the newly independent states"
      synonyms: curry favor with, cultivate, try to win over, make up to, ingratiate oneself with;
      informalsuck up to, butter up
      "a newspaper editor who was courted by senior politicians
The diffrence between dating and courting is the intent. One is a relastionship in of itself and the other is a stepping stone for those intent on marrying. Some want to link courting to the Jewish Betrothal thinking it makes courting Biblical.

The term "betrothal" in Jewish law must not be understood in its modern sense; that is, the agreement of a man and a woman to marry, by which the parties are not, however, definitely bound, but which may be broken or dissolved without formal divorce. Betrothal or engagement such as this is not known either to the Bible or to the Talmud, and only crept in among the medieval and modern Jews through the influence of the example of the Occidental nations among whom they dwelt, without securing a definite status in rabbinical law.

In the Bible.
Several Biblical passages refer to the negotiations requisite for the arranging of a marriage (Gen. 24; Song of Songs 8:8; Judges 14:2-7), which were conducted by members of the two families involved, or their deputies, and required usually the consent of the prospective bride; but when the agreement had been entered into, it was definite and binding upon both groom and bride, who were considered as man and wife in all legal and religious aspects, except that of actual cohabitation.(Courting is not binding)

The root
V03p125002.jpg
("to betroth"), from which the Talmudic abstract
V03p125003.jpg
("betrothal") is derived, must be taken in this sense; i.e., to contract an actual though incomplete marriage. In two of the passages in which it occurs the betrothed woman is directly designated as "wife" (II Sam. 3:14, "my wife whom I have betrothed" ("erasti"), and Deut. 22:24, where the betrothed is designated as "the wife of his neighbor"). In strict accordance with this sense the rabbinical law declares that the betrothal is equivalent to an actual marriage and only to be dissolved by a formal divorce.

After the betrothal a period of twelve months was allowed to pass before the marriage was completed by the formal home-taking ("nissu'in," "liḳḳuḥin"). In case the bride was a widow or the groom a widower, this interval was reduced to thirty days (Ket. v. 2; Shulḥan 'Aruk, Eben ha-'Ezer, 56). After the dispersal of the Jews had brought them into contact with the Western peoples, this arrangement was felt to be inconvenient and out of harmony with the prevailing views. It therefore becamecustomary to perform the entire marriage ceremony, betrothal and home-taking ("erusin" and "nissu'in"), at one time; and an affiancing or engagement similar to that prevailing among non-Jews was introduced. This was not an entire innovation, as its roots already existed in the custom of "shiddukin" or consent to marry, which existed in the days of the Talmud and probably also in the Biblical age. It was considered indispensable by the rabbis that a man should gain the good-will and consent of his prospective bride before entering upon a contract of marriage. Rab, the Babylonian amora, was accustomed to punish severely any one who married without first having persuaded and gained the consent of his wife (Ḳid. 13a; Yeb. 52a et al.).

What was in the Talmudic age a mere personal matter became in later times a formal custom, which was celebrated with much pomp. At these occasions it was customary to make out a formal contract to marry and to stipulate that a penalty should be imposed upon either party who should fail to fulfil his or her part of it. Such agreements were known as "shiddukin" (consent to marry), and also as "tenaim" (conditions), or among German-speaking Jews "ḳenas-mahl" (penalty-feast), because of these stipulations and penalties. They are still customary in many countries in modified form.

There is now no legal duration of time between betrothal and marriage, the length of the engagement being left entirely to the option of the parties concerned, except that the marriage may not take place in less than seven days after the agreement to marry has been reached (Nid. 66a; Shulḥan 'Aruk, Yoreh De'ah, 192).

Discussions about dating only date you. I'm broadly informed it's not really much of a thing anymore in most circles.

Back