• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Bible Study?

Hisdaughter

Real Person
Female
I would like to ask how each of you go about studying a specific topic. I don't mean like the books we buy in the book store. I mean like a word...or phrase...for instance if we want to study What does it mean to be unequally yoked?...Or Holding people accountable...or Love??

What do yall do to start the study. And yes of course every study should begin with prayer and a chat with the the Most High. 🙃

On Wednesday nights I get together with a group of ladies from our fellowship (and lately this includes an LDS neighbor) and we sometimes follow a book, we've done some Beth Moore studies (which I don't like), we've done some BSF or Bible Study Fellowship curriculums, but my fave is to just get together and discuss part of the Bible and share our ideas.

Like @NickF said BLB is great if you have internet all the time. If you don't have internet all the time and you have a laptop or desktop, E-sword is great and if you really want to learn and have it stick in your brain, I recommend paper; Bible, Strong's Concordance, Thayer's, Treasury of the Scriptures Knowledge, that should be a good start.

I love our paper concordance!

Just reading through the short one line in the word list can help...if your are at all familiar with the scriptures. It seems more solid to me somehow, then an online reference that can obviously be edited.

The Hebrew and Greek dictionary is great for getting definitions.

Word studies to me are BY FAR the best way to get a better understanding.

Like @NickF said BLB is great if you have internet all the time. If you don't have internet all the time and you have a laptop or desktop, E-sword is great and if you really want to learn and have it stick in your brain, I recommend paper; Bible, Strong's Concordance, Thayer's, Treasury of the Scriptures Knowledge, that should be a good start.
If you've got Android, get MySword. I've been using it for over a decade, and it's fantastic. It's so good I don't think it's on the Google Play store any more, you have to get it direct from their website. These days, that's the mark of a good app! :)

It is faster to use MySword on my phone than opening a computer and using BlueLetterBible (which is also great) or any other software, and it's all offline so you don't need the internet. Your phone is usually close to hand, and the software has all the features you need.

I also have paper concordances and lexicons, which I use occasionally, but have mainly got stashed away for a potential future where the electronic options become more limited. They just aren't as convenient.

Two excellent resources:

biblehub.com Like BLB but better.
webstersdictionary1828.com Cause you'd be surprised how much Satan has corrupted our language. A Lexicon will give you an English word for the Hebrew/Greek but the 1828 often gives a truer definition for that word than modern use / dictionaries.

If you've got Android, get MySword. I've been using it for over a decade, and it's fantastic. It's so good I don't think it's on the Google Play store any more, you have to get it direct from their website. These days, that's the mark of a good app! :)

It is faster to use MySword on my phone than opening a computer and using BlueLetterBible (which is also great) or any other software, and it's all offline so you don't need the internet. Your phone is usually close to hand, and the software has all the features you need.

I also have paper concordances and lexicons, which I use occasionally, but have mainly got stashed away for a potential future where the electronic options become more limited. They just aren't as convenient.
E-Sword is now available on android for 3 or 4 $$ I like it.

E-Sword is now available on android for 3 or 4 $$ I like it.
I got the esword. It looks great but ky break is over got to get back to work. Thank you all so much for the advice. I have done many Bible studies but want to switch things up a little.

WOW. That was some kinda long break! Tue. @ 10:27 a.m. until yesterday at 5:55 pm..

What do you do for breaks like that? 😂😂

I use HALOT for Hebrew and Aramaic study, and BDAG for Greek. They are highly trusted resources and were very helpful going through Hebrew and Greek in seminary. Paired with an interlinear Bible this is a powerful combination in understanding original language and other verses in the Bible that use similar syntaxes. Having a resource like BDAG as an example can be helpful in understanding topics like ‘head’ in 1st Cor. 11:3 (took a picture for you). Another option that works well in my opinion is Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible, Harpers Bible Dictionary, and Naves Topical (understanding that subjects will default to the authors doctrinal leanings, so take it for what it’s worth). And finally, I use Best Bible Commentaries site to search for teachings on books I might want, to see scholarly opinions or technical interpretations for tricky books like Hebrews or Revelation etc.

Attachments

• F37266C1-0889-477E-9037-1F8C69D40F24.jpeg
    F37266C1-0889-477E-9037-1F8C69D40F24.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Back