• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Biblical examples

ylopsonlywife

Hi. I was thinking, there are so many things in the old testamont that are seen as an important part of life then and "biblically sound". Obviously polygamy is one of those things... I am starting a list of other biblically sound practices.
Please can you add to it ... and let me know if you currently practise any of these?

1. Polygamy (of course)
2. Fellowship in a Christian community or church
3. Wearing robes
4. Raising goats

Dancing
Singing
Having a whole bunch of children
Shaving your head
Covering your head
Bathing
Segregation of menstruating women
Circumcision of males
Tithing
Animal sacrifices

Does "wearing robes" count if it's a bathrobe? :lol:

Obviously, a lot of OT practices are just a given that we continue to practice to this day, such as bathing. And obviously, a lot more OT practices have gone out with the times, or become impractical, such as animal sacrifices or segregating menstruating females. And your point is...?

1) Polygamy- not followed for several reasons: false teaching that render unto Ceasar can translate into the law of the land surpassing God's law. and Paul's statement about one wife for teachers and elders. IMHO
2) Fellowship- as society (satan) has intentionally led us to self reliance and placing God's orders to take care of others on the shoulder of govt and systematically attacked the church and any believer who tries to stand thus making us contemptible to even ourselves.
3) Robes- When day to day worries and work schedules surpass the importance for worshiping our Father. There were many week long festivals for His people in the old testament. Helped to keep us focused where we should. Another one of the enemies attacks to sever our link to our Creator. These were worn as part of ritual and praise to God.
4) Everyone should have a goat or two. hehehe
5) Dancing- Why do we try to put God in a box? Remember they thought David was nuts for dancing to the Lord? God liked it. You could also be referencing a woman dancing for the king and it pleasing Him. My wife dances for me and .....
6)Singing- well I cant carry a tune but my wife is a trained Opera singer and has her masters from CCM. I think singing is more excepted for the same speculative reasoning that leads many to believe Lucifer was in charge of music.
7) Children- Just as Jefferson said the USA would fall when we became more urban, the desire to have worldly wealth leads to smaller families in more urban environments instead of a Godly wealth of children and hard work in a more rural environment.
8) Shaving heads- maybe new covenant/cultural changes didnt express grief in the same way? That said I keep mine cut short for other reasons.
9) Covering your head- cultural evolution. Dont think this is a salvation issue, but it might have an effect on some of the lustfulness in our lives. As it is not just the head but the propriety that this dress and subjugation of fleshly desire that it represents.
10) Bathing- I would lump this in with God's grace as shown in the scientific reasoning of most Levitical law.
11) There are some months that I wish we still did. hehehe
12) Circumcision- Paul references this directly. See also #10. As #10 became more regular the issues with uncleanliness of uncut males became less. Though I think this is another subjugation of flesh.
13) Tithing- I go both ways on this. I believe God calls us to give. I also have been taught that much of the tithe was directly the cost of travel to Jerusalem, animal for sacrifice, etc not for the church as a whole. I would rather ere on the side of giving God more than called for.
14) Animal Sacrifice- abrogation by Christ's sacrifice on the cross.

Though the economy of the old testament was primarily agrarian (had to be, food production per farmer was much lower than ours), there where plenty of non-goat raising trades available.

TBH our 'animal sacrifice' is semi-replaced by the tithe everything, not just first fruits and spoils ect paradigm. Much of the sacrificed animals where given to the priests and their families to eat. Normally what was burned on the alter was the animal fat, the meat went to the Levites. Flour and oil where also part of sacrifices (Lev 5:12) and it was the same idea, burn a little and keep the rest.

It was part of the tax\church structure, not just a ceremony. While it never did bring anyone to perfection, it did serve as a reminder of the cost of sin and it provided sustinince to the priests. If it was brought back it would be a good thing.

Tampons really seem to solve most of the menstruation issues though. Without them its something that can spread disease easily, and you shouldn't (though many, many women did) just use any normal rag because of Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Shaving's an interesting thing to come up. It was only required of men after cretin 'uncleanliness', and for good reason. Parasites can live in hair, and then there was no real way to deal with that other than shaving. Shaving is still the most straightforward way to deal with some things.

For women though, it's only required when you take a captive woman. Women very often cut their hair after a major change or trauma in their lives, they do it naturally as a way of starting fresh and feeling like they're in control of something. Shaving a woman's head is a way of impressing on her that she is 'starting fresh', and very significant psychologically.

Tlaloc said:
Tampons really seem to solve most of the menstruation issues though. Without them its something that can spread disease easily, and you shouldn't (though many, many women did) just use any normal rag because of Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Sometimes I think it is just better if men not comment on menstruation issues.....
:shock:

lol @ bels...

"Tampons really seem to solve most of the menstruation issues though. Without them its something that can spread disease easily, and you shouldn't (though many, many women did) just use any normal rag because of Toxic Shock Syndrome."

Last I heard "Toxic Shock Syndrome" was the result of using tampons, and that is is better to use pads only if possible.

That's right, TSS is the wrong thing, I was thinking of something bacterial. It eludes me now though.

How did this turn into a conversation about tampons :shock: .

Ylopsonlywife: I am a little confused as to what you actually mean. Do you mean things that were practiced in the old testament that aren't usually practiced now but are ok biblically?

Back