• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Biblical Families Association

I just posted another blog article... I will begin discussing the Jealousy Argument. If you have any suggestions, post some here. I may use some of your ideas as I continue to explore this argument against plural marriage.

Hello pastor,

I read the great new blog entry about jealousy. Very good point about it not being biblical. I have some questions about that specifically. I hear from people that I speak too about this topic that polygyny caused many problems in the lives of OT people. Sarah was jealous of Hagar and Hagar's child. peninah was mean to Hannah about her barrenness. Leah and Rachel fauoght about Jacob, mandrakes, everything! What do you say to this argument? can you give examples in OT or history or anywhere where any ladies got along where there was a guy or kids to fight over?? help!!

Any where it makes mention of multiple wive with out mentioning the bickering I always assumed they got along fine. Like davids wives seemed to have no problems with each other. They had some issues with David but were cool with each other.

Jealousy can raise its ugly head in any relationship - between employees, for example; it is not limited to polymarriages. By the logic of the Jealousy Theology it would, therefore, be necessary to forbid these relationships, too. That, however, is patently ridiculous, isn't it?

A polygynous marriage can also be a tremendous opportunity to practice and nurture the love to which Christ has commanded us - that we are to love one another as He loved us which means to lay down our lives for one another, living not for ourselves but for the others in our family.

Didn't our Lord also say that the world would know we are His discipley by the love that we have for one another?

well put smiley

I can relate to the jealousy thing between employees. We seem to have alot of these problems that I have to take care of. Sometimes I feel more like a babysitter than an employer! :?

Dairyfarmer

There is the opportunity for Jealousy in every relationship we participate in. I remember it as far back as High School when I got jealous over a friend having a better figure than me. Or someone swimming better or getting better grades. Jealousy is really just wanting what someone else has. That is wrong in ANY relationship.

I used to tell a friend that the deal you make is the deal you make. If you go to work for a company and agree to work for $10 per hour, then you can't turn around a few weeks later and be mad because someone else makes $15.

Mat 20:1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.
Mat 20:2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.
Mat 20:3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
Mat 20:4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.
Mat 20:5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.
Mat 20:6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?
Mat 20:7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.
Mat 20:8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.
Mat 20:9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.
Mat 20:10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.
Mat 20:11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,
Mat 20:12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
Mat 20:13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
Mat 20:14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

I say that if you are satisfied in your relationship then you are satisfied in your relationship. Don't look at what others have and say "I could have that." Instead think about what you have, not what you don't have.

Rose, push me off my soapbox again!!!!

Lissa

sweetlissa said:
There is the opportunity for Jealousy in every relationship we participate in. I remember it as far back as High School when I got jealous over a friend having a better figure than me. Or someone swimming better or getting better grades. Jealousy is really just wanting what someone else has. That is wrong in ANY relationship.

I used to tell a friend that the deal you make is the deal you make. If you go to work for a company and agree to work for $10 per hour, then you can't turn around a few weeks later and be mad because someone else makes $15.

Mat 20:1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.
Mat 20:2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.
Mat 20:3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
Mat 20:4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.
Mat 20:5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.
Mat 20:6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?
Mat 20:7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.
Mat 20:8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.
Mat 20:9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.
Mat 20:10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.
Mat 20:11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,
Mat 20:12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
Mat 20:13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
Mat 20:14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

I say that if you are satisfied in your relationship then you are satisfied in your relationship. Don't look at what others have and say "I could have that." Instead think about what you have, not what you don't have.

Rose, push me off my soapbox again!!!!

Lissa

Well put sister, well put. To look at another way for the jealousy angle, and not coveting what another has.

Matthew 6:25-27(KJV)

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

If we are living according to God's will and are content to leave it in his hands, do will get jealous if we recieve something that he blesses us with. Does your spouce get jealous because he/she was given a raise at work? Do they get jealous if they get news that they will be having a child? Do they get jealous of one another if they get sick and then get better? These things and more God adds and gives to our lives on a daily basis, and some are taken for granted and not seen as the blessings that they are. If God deems us to have more in our lives, regardless of what that more is, he will provide it for us.

Your scripture brings up another point as well, though we may not be blessed right now, we may get the same blessings later on. Looking at others and saying I wish I had that or I wish I was doing this, doesnt mean that they will not recieve the same blessings, it may mean that the blessings will come later on when God feels we are ready to recieve them. Just because a person does not have something right now, does not mean that God wont provide for them when the time is right. God's timing and our timing are two totally different aspects. We may even recieve blessings even before we think we are not ready for them, or we may think we are ready for the blessings, but God has other plans for us. After all Abraham had to wait for years for God to bless him with a son, but God provided for him. Having patience and doing God's will, will bring the blessings that God has for us. Even if we never get the same blessings others have now, we should live our lives dedicating ourselves to the grand prize that everyone is promised, to obtain everlasting life with God in heaven as long as we do as he commands. Is being jealous really worth losing the gift of everlasting life? Not for me it isnt. I may never win the lottery, but I am not going to lose my soul being jealous over someone else that does.

God Bless,

Chris

Jealousy is not of God. It is a work of the flesh and not fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:16-25 (NKJV) -

16I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Jealousy is of the devil, because it comes from bitter envy in the heart, therefore is demonic wisdom. The wisdom of God is willing to yield, and therefore would not be jealous in an earthly sense. Godly jealously is an earnest inward desire to be with and provide something good for someone else. If someone says that polygyny is not right because it stirs up jealously, they do not know the power of God. They are not walking by the Holy Spirit or operating in the wisdom of God, but are operating in demonic, worldly wisdom.

James 3:13-18 -

13Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. 14But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. 15This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. 16For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. 17But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. 18Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

Simple.

Be blessed,

Dr. Ray

Back