• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

BiblicalParenting

DawoodSaar

Real Person
Male
Because families are more than wives.

What are y'alls tips, tricks, and findings for parenting? Especially interesting are those things that are counter-cultural, or that go against what is regularly promoted in "normie-church."

I'm not a parent, but I'd like a place to go to to be prepped for that eventuality.

Good question so here's a few thoughts to start off. As you begin your relationship or from the first day you have her as your wife, read the Word of God to her daily. Start in Genesis and read through to the end of the Revelation. Then read through again and again, and when kids start arriving keep reading. As they grow teach your kids to read so they can also read for themselves, but you keep reading for them. Even if you travel away from home, call and read for your family. When you or your wife/wives muck up and fail (you will), and your kids know it, use the opportunity to teach your kids about sin, confession, repentance, forgiveness, and restoration. Show them what God says, and do it. Read through the book of Proverbs, one chapter every day without fail. It is the book of divine wisdom and you need to be wise in this dark and foolish world.

Don't be afraid of what people might think or say about you as a parent or how you raise your kids. You will answer to God, not them.

Because families are more than wives.

What are y'alls tips, tricks, and findings for parenting? Especially interesting are those things that are counter-cultural, or that go against what is regularly promoted in "normie-church."

I'm not a parent, but I'd like a place to go to to be prepped for that eventuality.
You will not be alone. God will be with you to give you insight and wisdom if you seek Him about these things. You get out what you put in, but they are not yours to keep. Your life, including your parenting of His children, is a service to God, but He has built in blessings for you if you obey. The wheat must die so the seed can live. Don't hold them back or shield them from sensitive things. Let them see death and birth without showing fear. Be truthful with them in everything. They will hide from you what they see you hiding from them. Babies can learn the meaning of the word "no" as early as 6 months, and it is not abuse to thump them to teach them the word. Punishment should be given in love, not anger; give yourself a time-out and pray if you feel enraged. Don't be afraid to give them pain now to save them from death later. Explain beforehand and comfort them afterward and give them the correct alternative. Don't just say, "no", but also say, "do this instead", because "no" is a void, and a void will be filled, so fill it with good. Beyond physical things, continually teach them about God, the purpose of their existence, and His salvation. They may understand these things rudimentarily as young as 3 or 4, but their capacity for understanding will increase as they age, so repeat teachings in more detail as time goes by. Do not neglect this.

My older sons are given small amounts of authority, and they practice leadership with their younger siblings. My older daughters likewise practice mothering their younger siblings. When the maturity is even, my daughters are required to submit to their brothers if there is a disagreement, and I hold my sons responsible to follow my ways, meaning that they are punished, not the daughters, if they mislead them into disobedience to me. My sons know that they must prepare to leave me and master their own dominions. My daughters know that they belong to me until I give them to another man, who they are in preparation for without him being known yet. All of this is explained and reiterated to them in greater detail as they age. No one is held back; everyone is pushed to excel and grow. Responsibility is regularly used for teaching, and failure is allowed to happen so that lesson can be taught as well. They all know that they are working together, not for themselves, but for the family. One interesting outcome of all of this is that my sons now are so driven and have a sense of responsibility that they sometimes call me out for being lacking. And this illustrates how you get out what you put in. They are totally moldable only for a little while, so mold with urgency. That window will draw to a close in close coincidence with puberty and they will be more or less set in whatever shape you made them. Reshaping beyond that is either slight, slow, or requires breaking.

Sounds simple, but be active in your children's life. Very active. Don't let their cell phones or television raise them. It's easy for a dad to just sit there and not do anything and let others raise their child. Dad, take an active role in your child's life. Take your son fishing and have conversations. Take your daughter out on dates. Coach a youth team they are on. Set aside time each night for conversations, whether at the dinner table or sitting around on a sofa. Yes, read the Bible. Frequently bring up biblical topics. Don't leave that to the church on Sunday and expect it to last all week. If you mess up admit it. Don't quit just because you make a mistake. You will forget to read your Bible or spend time with them. Start again. Have daily conversations with them just because. About everything and anything. Set rules based on what you believe to be Biblical principles and just good sense and make consequences for disobedience. Show love. Dad, tell your kids you love them often. Preferably every night before they go to bed. These are just a few of the things that can help you.

Sad but true of this generation. Parent well with everything you got!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1683678968903.jpg
    FB_IMG_1683678968903.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 11
It may sound cliche to say this here but I can't emphasize this enough: Biblical Parenting is built on the firm foundation of Biblical Marriage is built on the firm foundation of the Gospel.

If your wife does not walk in submission to you, then she is leading the children into disobedience by example.

If you are not walking in submission to Christ, then you are doing the same.

After that, the things that make for good marriage make for good parenting: being a leader, having a spine, being willing to say 'no', taking an active role in their spiritual, moral, and life development, not leaving these things to church/school/tv/phone, thinking outside the box of the propaganda infecting the church and culture.

Fathers you are not just a walking wallet: you are the trainer, the leader, the spiritual guru for your family.

And he said unto all, If any man would come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever would save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. For what is a man profited, if he gain the whole world, and lose or forfeit his own self? For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in his own glory, and the glory of the Father, and of the holy angels.

For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.

Back